Samsung 850 EVO vs SanDisk SSD Plus

Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

So, from a standpoint of playing games, web browsing, and recording videos every once in a while, I wouldn't notice a difference between the two? 

It depends on how hard you push the SSD. If you're just web browsing and gaming, you wouldn't notice (Except for game load times). I think only in intensive tasks you would notice, but it depends on your budget. I mean if you can spare the $20, I would go for the Evo.

As for Sandisk, I can only speak for their high end SSDs, as I own the Extreme Pro and Extreme 2, and both of them still run solid and very fast. I trust Sandisk with SSDs because they're quite great with flash drives and flash cards. They also own Fusion IO now so I hope for some NVMe drives from them soon. I'm kind of bitter with Samsung after the 840 firmware issue since my Extreme 2 laughs at my cousin's 840 evo (Both are in the same generation of SSDs). The 850 series seems to be pretty good, but I'm probably going to stick with Sandisk myself (Even if I have to pay a bit more).

Hello, I am going to build a budget-ish gaming pc, and I was wondering if I would notice the difference between a sandisk ssd plus 240gb and a samsung 850 evo 250gb. The Samsung is more expensive ($20 AM), and I have never used an SSD before (first pc build). Would I notice a difference? Thanks.

not in speed, no

but samsung has a much better SSD reputation, so i would go with that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Samsung have a better reputation as far as SSDs go, but SanDisk have quite the reputation with NAND flash as a whole. I mean, they make SD cards and stuff.

They are both reasonable options, what with having both, but I would advise the Samsung drive over the SanDisk one.

Samsung's five year warranty, 75TB worth of write cycles before it goes bad (which is more than any reasonable soul is going to use), and they hold their performance incredibly well.

SanDisk's SSD Plus may be a little slower and has a shorter warranty of three years (or was it two? Don't have the box on hand), but it's cheaper.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

So, from a standpoint of playing games, web browsing, and recording videos every once in a while, I wouldn't notice a difference between the two? 

It depends on how hard you push the SSD. If you're just web browsing and gaming, you wouldn't notice (Except for game load times). I think only in intensive tasks you would notice, but it depends on your budget. I mean if you can spare the $20, I would go for the Evo.

As for Sandisk, I can only speak for their high end SSDs, as I own the Extreme Pro and Extreme 2, and both of them still run solid and very fast. I trust Sandisk with SSDs because they're quite great with flash drives and flash cards. They also own Fusion IO now so I hope for some NVMe drives from them soon. I'm kind of bitter with Samsung after the 840 firmware issue since my Extreme 2 laughs at my cousin's 840 evo (Both are in the same generation of SSDs). The 850 series seems to be pretty good, but I'm probably going to stick with Sandisk myself (Even if I have to pay a bit more).