Should I keep pushing for a higher OC?

So I recently sat down with MSI Afterburner and Valley Benchmark and got my 980 Ti properly overclocked.

My 980 Ti is the MSI/Corsair colab card, the Hydro GFX (Sea Hawk).

It's a reference PCB with a Corsair H55 AIO cooler for the GPU core and reference style blower fan for the rest of the board.

I got my card up to just over 1500Mhz on the Core clock with just an added 25mv of voltage. Max voltage stays under 1.26v.

Also got an extra 100Mhz on the Memory clock which did boost the benchmark score.

Temps were never a concern with the card maxing out at 62C given the robust cooling solution.

Valley Benchmark started crashign when I tried pushing either of the clocks higher. But I also having really tried pushing for much higher voltage.

So to those who know a thing or two about overclocking the 900 series cards, is this a good stopping point? Or can I reasonably expect more?

---

Why bother?

That's a solid OC and you probably won't get much higher.

At the same time, why not...

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's a solid OC and you probably won't get much higher.

This here is what I really wanted to confirm.

I upgraded from an old 560, that was barely pushing 900Mhz on a good day. :P

So I didn't really know what numbers to expect from the 900 series.

---

Are you looking for maximum performance, bragging rights, or just bored?  If the previous 2, go for it.  If the later, depends on whether you enjoy it.

I enjoyed it for a while, but I have to watch myself to keep from getting over-OCD'd on my OC'ing.  So I usually call it quits after about 20 hours or tinkering.  :)

That's a solid overclock, btw ;)

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Are you looking for maximum performance, bragging rights, or just bored?  If the previous 2, go for it.  If the later, depends on whether you enjoy it.

I enjoyed it for a while, but I have to watch myself to keep from getting over-OCD'd on my OC'ing.  So I usually call it quits after about 20 hours or tinkering. ;)

Well, given that thermals won't ever be the limiting factor on this card, I wanted to get it as high as I could.

I remember Jay talking about how he got his Titan X's to 1500Mhz in Skunkworks. I figured since the 980Ti is mostly a stripped down Titan, then that seemed like a good number to aim for.

I stopped once I got it up there and could stress the card at that speed while keeping it stable.

---

Well, given that thermals won't ever be the limiting factor on this card, I wanted to get it as high as I could.

I remember Jay talking about how he got his Titan X's to 1500Mhz in Skunkworks. I figured since the 980Ti is mostly a stripped down Titan, then that seemed like a good number to aim for.

I stopped once I got it up there and could stress the card at that speed while keeping it stable.

Well, if you like a challenge, K|ngp|n got his over 1700MHz gpu /2100MHz mem, but that was LN2  :P

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Well, if you like a challenge, K|ngp|n got his over 1700MHz gpu /2100MHz mem, but that was LN2  :P

Hehe, I don't think I was particularly looking for a challenge, just a reasonable consensus of what the 980 Ti should normally be capable of when pushed.

But having a set of hardstop "max" numbers like that really helps to keep perspective.

Looks like I'm set and ready for now. Thanks for the info!

---

So I recently sat down with MSI Afterburner and Valley Benchmark and got my 980 Ti properly overclocked.

My 980 Ti is the MSI/Corsair colab card, the Hydro GFX (Sea Hawk).

It's a reference PCB with a Corsair H55 AIO cooler for the GPU core and reference style blower fan for the rest of the board.

I got my card up to just over 1500Mhz on the Core clock with just an added 25mv of voltage. Max voltage stays under 1.26v.

Also got an extra 100Mhz on the Memory clock which did boost the benchmark score.

Temps were never a concern with the card maxing out at 62C given the robust cooling solution.

Valley Benchmark started crashign when I tried pushing either of the clocks higher. But I also having really tried pushing for much higher voltage.

So to those who know a thing or two about overclocking the 900 series cards, is this a good stopping point? Or can I reasonably expect more?

The Unigine benchmarks like memory speed.....get the memory up there to 2000 - 2100 and your score will increase by quite a bit.

As for overclocking more....YES.  There is absolutely NOTHING in the stock bios files that you can set AB or PCX to, that are going to harm your card in any way, shape or form.  Just watch your temps and go crazy.  Have fun!

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10