Installing Win10 in a new SSD

RazerEdge
Go to solution Solved by SydneySideSteveSomewheres,

I did what you daid - copied my HDD with the Win 7 files to the SSD. Now, I can't boot it to Win 7 :

it crashes at the open screen of Win 7, and asks if i wat to "repair" - this options brings me TO A WINDOWS 10 tools. How is it even possible?! I did format to the SSD and its now trying to fix win 10?

I am dseperate. Please try and help me- I cant contact Microsoft because im learning when they are available.

Sorry to hear you're still having difficulties with this system.

Usually this process is very straight forward, as hardware stops working so migrating from one drive to another is part of the ease, of what windows is "MEANT" to be about (as I mentioned before my data migration did not work, more than times I like to think about).

Some things come to mind (you will need to do the data migration, again if you haven't already).

Occasionally the Windows tool for formatting the drive is not that good (probably why it is so quick) you can download cCleaner -click here- from Piriform it's free and it actually works well.

If you have a copy of Windows 7 *.iso you could use the disc to "Repair" the installation, however if it is not working from the beginning...well, personally I would be wiping and re-doing the Windows build.

Here is (a bit dated now) video from LTT which you may find useful YouTube -click here-  

Link to cCleaner Free on YouTube -click here- where Linus talks about it, not a demonstration of how to use it (do be careful what you delete when you using the other functions in cCleaner! If you do not know what the files are that you plan to delete, you can create major head-aches, or just do not use the registry cleaner section to be safe!).

Finally if you have another drive with an operating system on it that you can boot the computer from, install the migration software Acronis -click here- (has a 30 day free trial period) on it. Then do the migration using this drive as the computer will not need to operate in DOS mode for it to work, which could be the problem.

This is the method that I used to get my machine to actually install a working version of Windows 10, but without all the installed programs (the rest of the data migrated just not all those programs I need!), so this might be how you end up making yours work. You said you had the *.iso for Windows 10 perhaps install it on a blank drive, install the migration tool on the drive (do not let Windows update and skip the licence, you will have thirty days to verify) and wipe the drive when you are finished, more practice at data deletion a tool you will have endless use for in this computer driven age!!

Good luck

Link to Acronis walk-through on YouTube -click here-

Just saw your post and read through the thread and wanted to add a comment to assist. Not that I wish to take away from the fantastic work by @8BitDoughnut everything that they have said I would agreed with (ALMOST).

My point is this I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which was on a HDD. Then I desired a speed increase and decided to migrate or clone the drive to a faster drive a SSD and had many, many issues. The best end scenario was one where the SSD has a licenced Windows 10 install but is missing the 110+ personal programs from the HDD, and even the techs at Microsoft could not fix this issue. 

Then I tried to roll back my HDD from Windows 10 to Windows 7 within the 30 day time frame, of which there are few methods to try -click here- Wiki article Microsoft community. None of which worked or again the tech heads at the Microsoft help center could assist me with, they just finished the call by saying "sorry I've not been able to help you with that, is there anything else I can help you with today"...duh...a dead end so far.

So what I have is a greatly improved computer for the steam games I have been playing, however this particular machine is my main unit, if I take it to the local computer store they will charge $25 a program to reinstall...thanks Microsoft maybe I could charge you!

Anyway now that I have done my rant, what you should do seeing that the HDD is smaller than the SSD is reformat the SSD to NTFS as @8BitDoughnut requests then just clone the whole Windows 7 HDD contents over onto the SSD. Then wait for the upgrade notification to come in through the normal Windows 7 updates schedule, which should mean no need to buy another licence. If you are a little less patient after the cloning process is complete, you could ring Microsoft and ask them how to get assistance with the upgrade as you already have the *.iso of Windows 10.

Hope this helps

I did what you daid - copied my HDD with the Win 7 files to the SSD. Now, I can't boot it to Win 7 :

it crashes at the open screen of Win 7, and asks if i wat to "repair" - this options brings me TO A WINDOWS 10 tools. How is it even possible?! I did format to the SSD and its now trying to fix win 10?

I am dseperate. Please try and help me- I cant contact Microsoft because im learning when they are available. 

Usually this process is very straight forward, as hardware stops working so migrating from one drive to another is part of the ease, of what windows is "MEANT" to be about (as I mentioned before my data migration did not work, more than times I like to think about).

Some things come to mind (you will need to do the data migration, again if you haven't already).

Occasionally the Windows tool for formatting the drive is not that good (probably why it is so quick) you can download cCleaner -click here- from Piriform it's free and it actually works well.

If you have a copy of Windows 7 *.iso you could use the disc to "Repair" the installation, however if it is not working from the beginning...well, personally I would be wiping and re-doing the Windows build.

Here is (a bit dated now) video from LTT which you may find useful YouTube -click here-  

Link to cCleaner Free on YouTube -click here- where Linus talks about it, not a demonstration of how to use it (do be careful what you delete when you using the other functions in cCleaner! If you do not know what the files are that you plan to delete, you can create major head-aches, or just do not use the registry cleaner section to be safe!).

Finally if you have another drive with an operating system on it that you can boot the computer from, install the migration software Acronis -click here- (has a 30 day free trial period) on it. Then do the migration using this drive as the computer will not need to operate in DOS mode for it to work, which could be the problem.

This is the method that I used to get my machine to actually install a working version of Windows 10, but without all the installed programs (the rest of the data migrated just not all those programs I need!), so this might be how you end up making yours work. You said you had the *.iso for Windows 10 perhaps install it on a blank drive, install the migration tool on the drive (do not let Windows update and skip the licence, you will have thirty days to verify) and wipe the drive when you are finished, more practice at data deletion a tool you will have endless use for in this computer driven age!!

Good luck

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

This is the method that I used to get my machine to actually install a working version of Windows 10, but without all the installed programs (the rest of the data migrated just not all those programs I need!), so this might be how you end up making yours work. You said you had the *.iso for Windows 10 perhaps install it on a blank drive, install the migration tool on the drive (do not let Windows update and skip the licence, you will have thirty days to verify) and wipe the drive when you are done).

Good luck

Thanks man, i will try to fix this. meanwhile im not sure what is going on with this SSD (like in the CMD it says windows is running under the SSD but the dekstop in on the HDD ).

Hopefully it will work.. 

OK! I just manged to finally install Win 10 on the SSD with working license and all. I had to use the windows 10 tool and upgrade the SSD win 7 through it - Also had to erase all the files on it (which is good cuz' I still have them on the HDD) and it worked PERFECTLY.

Thank you so much for helping me @SydneySideSteveSomewheres @8BitDoughnut 

I've been unable to reply for the past few days due to work but it's good to see that things have been resolved.

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro Wifi AC (USB 3.0 rev) | Memory: G.Skill 2x8GB Ripjaws @ 1866MHZ | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Gaming | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2