Yahoo stops some users accessing emails while using ad-blockers

rcarteraz

Source #1: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34899575

Yahoo has confirmed that it is preventing some people from accessing their email if they are using ad-blocking software in their browser.

Currently it seems they're calling it a limited test of a new product feature that does not affect everyone.

Source #2: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006981/data-center-cloud/yahoo-mail-begins-blocking-users-with-ad-block-enabled.html

Statement from Yahoo

“At Yahoo, we are continually developing and testing new product experiences. This is a test we’re running for a small number of Yahoo Mail users in the U.S.”

This is outrageous and if I used them would be cause for me to switch. I understand the need to pay the bills but the way they go about these advertisements in almost all cases is completely intrusive to the user's experience.

It'll be interesting to see if this becomes system-wide for Yahoo and what type of blowback they may face.

Ransom much?

lol, who even uses the web mail client even more? Everyone i know (parents, friends and hell, even my grandparents) uses Thunderbird, why would you use the web client when you can just setup Thunderbird and you will never have to type in your email & password again unless your email provider forces a password reset.

Web clients are clunky as hell and i bet the only reason ISP's don't tell you to use an email client is so that they can force more ads down your throat. Sure 5-10 years ago, you'd have to type in all of the web server addresses so that your email client would work, but Thunderbird does all that crap for you, so you literally type in your email and password and it will detect the addresses without you needing to read a guide.

who even uses yahoo anymore

thats so 2005

In the UK, all BT email address require you to use yahoo.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

lol, who even uses the web mail client even more? Everyone i know (parents, friends and hell, even my grandparents) uses Thunderbird, why would you use the web client when you can just setup Thunderbird and you will never have to type in your email & password again unless your email provider forces a password reset.

Web clients are clunky as hell and i bet the only reason ISP's don't tell you to use an email client is so that they can force more ads down your throat. Sure 5-10 years ago, you'd have to type in all of the web server addresses so that your email client would work, but Thunderbird does all that crap for you, so you literally type in your email and password and it will detect the addresses without you needing to read a guide.

In the UK, all BT email address require you to use yahoo.

gmail's interface is fine. I don't have the need for a client. my overlords (google) saves my passwords across all my devices.

Does anyone actually use yahoo mail? I have a feeling this only effects like three people...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Does anyone actually use yahoo mail? I have a feeling this only effects like three people...

As of 2011 their user count was over 283 million. I doubt it has dropped to only 3 lol.

As of 2011 their user count was over 283 million. I doubt it has dropped to only 3 lol.

How many are active? Total accounts means nothing. 

Also, you shouldn't take the estimation of three, seriously. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I still have an old yahoo email address from before when gmail existed. I have been slowly migrating off it but a lot of accounts are still tied to it. Its quite a bit of effort to migrate away so its something I do slowly.

If they block me then it will certainly give me a good reason to finish migrating rapidly!

How many are active? Total accounts means nothing. 

Also, you shouldn't take the estimation of three, seriously. 

I get that it was a joke lol. Now of the 283 million my guess would be only a 1/3rd, if that, are active. I agree, I don't know a lot of people who use Yahoo, except my mother lol.

thats so 2005

I do , i created my emails around 2003 or so. Tho if i had to make a new email it wouldn't be on yahoo.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

gmail's interface is fine.

I hate it. Microsoft's Outlook is way better I think. I've had my gmail account since the invite only beta days so I'm not likely to switch now. But I already though about it. 

Google's Inbox is better. Way less visual clutter... Maybe I'm just tired of the 2004 Gmail's design. 

(using Yahoo in 2015)

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Yahoo blocking users from accessing mail while using ad-blockers? lel topkek thxbai good luck

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

If you're not viewing ad's, they're not making any money from you and have no incentive to let you use their service. Just make an exception in your ad blocker. Not hard.

thats so 2005

I was thinking more like 1999, but I agree with the sentiment!

If you're not viewing ad's, they're not making any money from you and have no incentive to let you use their service. Just make an exception in your ad blocker. Not hard.

The point is not that it is hard to add an exception. The point is that would defeat the purpose of using an ad-blocker.

In other news, Yahoo still has a mail service. Did they improve their godawful interface since the old days?

In other news, Yahoo still has a mail service. Did they improve their godawful interface since the old days?

Nope. :(

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Yahoo feeds you with spam anyway.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The point is not that it is hard to add an exception. The point is that would defeat the purpose of using an ad-blocker.

Yes, I know. I discussed that in my first sentence.

Pretty much all UK ISPs use Yahoo Mail to bounce their emails to and from customers.

BT, Sky, Talk Talk all use Yahoo Mail.

As above, use Windows Mail/Outlook/Thunderbird to avoid the web mail interface entirely. Problem solved.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)