Cheap, fast telephoto lens

Dredgy

So I've ended up doing a lot more true macro videography then I thought and I'm having a small amount of trouble getting my camera close enough to the subject. Then I'm having a lot of trouble getting enough light into the lens.

I am currently using a Canon EF-S 18-135mm lens with 3xMacro Extenders. I almost always use this lens fully extended where the aperture measures 5.6. This is too dark for a lot of shots and I have to push in software. My camera doesn't handle underexposure as well as overexposure.

I find the 135mm length to be workable, but a little short for my liking, I am often wishing to be able to push just a little bit farther. That said, I do have the luxury of being able to get my subject closer to camera.

Unlike most things I'm shopping for, my product actually exists: Canon 180mm Macro. But wayyyy too expensive. Unless I find an excellent deal on a used one, that's not happening.

Other options:

Samyang/Rokinon 135mm Cine: Geared for follow focus, T2.2 will solve essentially all of my lighting issues, though probably at the expense of keeping stuff in focus. A likely option. At about $750AUD it's probably the cheapest option.

Canon EF 200mm: F2.8 will still likely solve all of my light problems. But a good amount more focal length is tempting. But then I'm afraid it might be too much and there might be shots I want to dial back,

Canon 70-200m: Cheap. Constant aperture. Gives me a lot more shot flexibility that a prime won't. Also likely option, but I'm not sure F4 will let in enough light. It will let in enough more light that my ring lights should be satisfactory.

Am open to any other option - have very little knowledge of 3rd party lenses.

Thanks

snip

You may find 200mm + lenses to be very limiting due to the narrow FOV.  I am using a 70-200 2.8 as the main lens on my camera and often I find it too narrow if my subject is close.  It's great for doing interviews where I want to frame the head and shoulder of my subject, and for landscape zoom shots, but other wise...

If you want a macro lens, get a good Sigma or Tamron or Tokina macro lens around 100mm or longer in focal length. You want a lens with a very close focusing distance.  As for lighting, look for some smaller LED panels or even a ring light you can place around the lens.  Something like a F&V 300 right LED light or Diva ring light.

The problem when you are using a macro lens to focus on small objects (like ants) is that they are moving and macro lenses wide open have very thin DOF.  So you need to step down to increase DOF and this reduces light into your camera.

Other than for macro or very close up shots that you want to do, all other lenses should be fine and you just need to pick the right focal length for the framing.  But be careful when choosing Cine lenses, you and I are using cameras with similar sensor sizes (Super 35) and I've learned that mine isn't forgiving with some cheap lenses.  Especially at 4K.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

it all depends on your budget. you cant go wrong with a 70-200 mm  F/2.8 to F/4 is just one stop of light less. what you could do is invest in some video lights. 

a lighting setup will have more impact on your video that just changing the lens. or you could try out different lenses before you buy a new one or a used one. websites like http://borrowlenses.com you can rent the lenses and also lighting. 

PC: AMD fx8350     gtx 760 4gb    16gb ram (1600mHz) 530 watt psu

camera: nikon d7200 + nikon D3200,   18-55 kit lens,   Tamron 180mm macro,  af-s nikkor 55-300mm 5.5-5.6 G ED            http://claesphotos.blogspot.com

SNIP

Sigma / Tamron 90mm Macro , since a proper macro lens gives you 1:1 and close focusing 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't think 90mm-100mm is going to be long enough. I get well over 1:1 magnification at the moment, and the quality is fine, it's just light and distance. It is very hard to get my camera closer to the subject and since I'm working 30 hour days at the moment, I don't physically have the energy to lift the camera. I can usually bring the subject closer but it can make operating the camera tedious. It's just too heavy for a lot of this precise work where I'm also trying to control the subject. But the results are pretty good - I can focus on the dust on my lens without issue :P

it all depends on your budget. you cant go wrong with a 70-200 mm  F/2.8 to F/4 is just one stop of light less. what you could do is invest in some video lights. 

a lighting setup will have more impact on your video that just changing the lens. or you could try out different lenses before you buy a new one or a used one. websites like http://borrowlenses.com you can rent the lenses and also lighting. 

Thanks. I have lights. Lots of them. Including ring lights. I can't rent lenses where I live. I'd have to rent for at least a month, since shipping each way is likely 10-14 days. At those prices its cheaper to just buy the lenses and try them. I can borrow lenses from the film studio in town, but I don't think they have anything that costs less than $15k.

@ALwin I'm not shooting moving subjects. The ant footage was just a test. Most shots tend to be a slight pan or a focus rack (e.g between capacitors on a motherboard). Any longer lens I get I will convert with the macro tubes.

Also, what issues are you having with the cheap cine lenses? I'm curious as I haven't really studied my footage for lens aberrations.

Also, what issues are you having with the cheap cine lenses? I'm curious as I haven't really studied my footage for lens aberrations.

I've been testing some lenses at a store, and some of my cheaper Nikon lenses... I feel that with 4K there is a bit of softness to image quality.

And if you're not shooting moving objects, don't get a fixed focal macro lens.  While long focal length lenses are great for narrowing the FOV to a small area, filling the frame with a small subject (e.g. you're making a video review of a phone), I prefer a good zoom with constant aperture.  Otherwise the hassle of switching out lenses or moving the camera back and forth (in limited space) is a pain.

The three lenses I am currently using on my camera are a Nikon 16-35 f/4, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 because I don't have a 24-70 f/2.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer