FX-8350 paired with GTX 770 SLI

dreams

I have two EVGA SC GTX 770's  in sli mode, paired with a FX-8350 on a gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 board.

Now, in bf3.. I have everything on ultra and on 1080p (mind you motion blur is off) i get up words of 180fps down to about 78fps min at 55ish-78ish gpu usage. but... that all changes when I get to a point (like the center of any map, where a lot of crap is going on) my fps drops down to 33fps with 30-40% gpu usage. I tried a single card, same issue with fps and gpu usage. is my cpu a bottleneck? Ive tried the most recent beta driver that was released Aug 20th. Ive also tried the other drivers with no success or any changes in gpu usage and frame rates. Im currently on 326.41

I honestly dont know what to do at this point, seeings how a lot of ppl said my cpu should be fine with these cards.. An option a friend told me I should do is, go Intel.. but, right now, id rather not spend the money on other parts if I really dont need to. Id like to figure out what the issue is. 

Thanks in advance! Hope someone can help me solve this issue!

Full rig specs
FX-8350 (oc to 4.5ghz)
Gigabyte 99FXA-UD3
Evga GTX SC 770 (x2)
16 gbs 1600 Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair H100 
1000w ocZ (Gold)
Crucial m4 128gb SSD (OS Drive)
Kingston 120gb (secondary)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb (Storage)

Not bad

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

i really havnt taken a look at the cpu usage yet. do you think i may have defective cards?

Im gonna jump into the game now and see where abouts my cpu usage is sitting at.

Do you have the same problem when not in sli?

yes, same problem.

This is with vsync on.. still really low fps.. very sluggish and notice my gpu usage for both cards.. temps are find, and the latency is in the 20's? ugh.. starting to regret this 800$+ purchase.

ScreenshotWin32-0004_zpsc5bd41e6.png

I think the bottleneck is your Motherboard. Many people could disappoint with me but if it's not the CPU or the VGA then it's what is in between: the motherboard.

In fact it has PCI-E 2.0 while Nvidia cards, especially from 6th gen are designed to perform their best on PCI-E 3.0.

I had the same issue with intel i7 860 and Nvidia 760 MSI OC. Both videocard and cpu were at 70% load but my framerate was 40 fps on borderlands 2, my friend has my same rig but with pci-e 3.0 and it runs 75 fps.

So in my opinion it's most likely a motherboard issue, if someone else has know something better then we'll see ;)

Keep me updated please

SLI is always a problem on AMD boards

Interested in Business and Technology

FX-8350

This is your problem.

1x Radeon is bottlenecked on AMD, but 1x Nvidia Geforce may not be that bottlenecked because Nvidia's drivers are written for multiple threads.

Now, with 2 cards, AMD FX is already too slow. Intel is the only way.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

SLI is always a problem on AMD boards

This is your problem.

1x Radeon is bottlenecked on AMD, but 1x Nvidia Geforce may not be that bottlenecked because Nvidia's drivers are written for multiple threads.

Now, having an AMD motherboard with an SLI is not the best thing plus the CPU is not the best to handle sli and the motherboard hasn't PCI-e 3.0

This might be the issue, i'd go with an intel processor, i5 haswell should be fine

This is your problem.

Weird how my brother and my buddy have no issues with about the same set up what so ever. [8350 + 680sli / 7970 CFX]. Stop your fanboying please, it's getting sad.

And the FX works just as fine if not better than an i5 in BF3 since BF3 takes advantage of multiple cores.

Now, having an AMD motherboard with an SLI is not the best thing plus the CPU is not the best to handle sli and the motherboard hasn't PCI-e 3.0

This might be the issue, i'd go with an intel processor, i5 haswell should be fine

PCIe 3 is no big performance improvement [0.1-3% at max, GPUs are not yet reaching the bandwidth limit of PCI-e 2].

Have you updated your BIOS and checked if it made a difference?

Are you sure you picked the two x16 wired slots and you have not put one of the cards in a x4 wired slot by mistake?

Are you running Windows 7 or 8?

If you are running Win 7 try to get the FX hotfix which improves performance by quite a bit. [Already built into WIn8]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Yes, FX 8350 does much better in BF3 than i5, indeed.

bf3_1920.png

But you can OC it right? Except then, the GPU itself (7970) becomes bottleneck for regular intel processor.

bf3_1920.png

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

bf3_1920.png

But you can OC it right? Except then, the GPU itself (7970) becomes bottleneck for regular intel processor.

bf3_1920.png

I5 is better in both benchmarks o.O

I'm talking about 4670k compared to 8350

I5 is better in both benchmarks o.O

I'm talking about 4670k compared to 8350

I was being sarcastic. 8350 is nowhere near close to i5 save for saying it's better.

I was being sarcastic. 8350 is nowhere near close to i5 save for saying it's better.

I see lol

My i7 860 is the same speed of an 8350 and it is a 4 years old cpu, and it used 1/3 of the power of the 8350 so Scia, the fanboy here is defo someone else.

Nah its not ur cpu, def not ur mobo... I had same one before I went rog intel.  Have you recently formatted?  Did you upgrade ur comp and toss those cards in?

Seriously...use spoilers. No one wants to scroll down 10 times just to get to the next post...

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Seriously...use spoilers. No one wants to scroll down 10 times just to get to the next post...

Sorry it's just that spoilers are f-in up any image code.

Sorry it's just that spoilers are f-in up any image code.

Oh it's alright I guess, if it messes it up. I didn't know that. My bad.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

This is with vsync on.. still really low fps.. very sluggish and notice my gpu usage for both cards.. temps are find, and the latency is in the 20's? ugh.. starting to regret this 800$+ purchase.

You have Vsync forced off right? It can't be your CPU, I play BF3 and definitely get more than 60 FPS on a lower clocked BD and a pair of lower 7850's (also on the same board.) Does this only happen in BF3? And have you done a complete driver sweep and reinstall?

It's pretty much voodoo, but try unplugging on of your cards and then trying again.

I think the bottleneck is your Motherboard. Many people could disappoint with me but if it's not the CPU or the VGA then it's what is in between: the motherboard.

In fact it has PCI-E 2.0 while Nvidia cards, especially from 6th gen are designed to perform their best on PCI-E 3.0.

I had the same issue with intel i7 860 and Nvidia 760 MSI OC. Both videocard and cpu were at 70% load but my framerate was 40 fps on borderlands 2, my friend has my same rig but with pci-e 3.0 and it runs 75 fps.

So in my opinion it's most likely a motherboard issue, if someone else has know something better then we'll see ;)

Keep me updated please

3.0 isn't that much faster enough to cause a bottleneck compared to 2.0 16x slots. I'm seriously doubtful the 2.0 16x slots are even fully utilized.

I will concede though, it might very well be a motherboard problem since no other explanations seem appropriate.

To no people in particular, please stop the slandering and fanboying. These threads should remain neutral if it is not the topic of discussion.

Error: 410

You have Vsync forced off right? It can't be your CPU, I play BF3 and definitely get more than 60 FPS on a lower clocked BD and a pair of lower 7850's (also on the same board.) Does this only happen in BF3? And have you done a complete driver sweep and reinstall?

I think it's much more a system problem and not just one particular component causing problems, Maybe AMD CPU and Nvidia graphics card don't work well toghether, add a slow PCI-E connection and you could get that issue.

I know PCI-E 2.0 is more than enough for every graphics card out there but if you consider it like a lot of factors toghether it could make sense.

Maybe the communication between AMD and Nvidia is not that optimized and needs more bandwith to send all the informations(don't quote me on that i'm not an expert).

Personally i got a 20fps boost(Borderlands 2) on my rig just changing motherboard. The old one was an Asus P7H55 M-PRO, the new one MSI GD65Z87 ( i also changed CPU obviously but it wasn't the bottleneck cause the old one never went more than 80%)

just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I managed to fix the issue for the most part. I reformatted my comp, and the issue has pretty much stopped 98% of the time. I am going to be going with an i7 4770k, reason being.. the 8350 is more then capable of handling one gtx 770, but in SLI.. it struggles to feed my gpu's. With one card, im mid 90's with gpu usage, and with two cards in.. im 50s though 70's with gpu usage.

Keep me updated please

I dont think that it is the motherboard. I have the same one, an 8120, and a gtx 770 and im getting an average of 85-100 in bf3 at 1080p on ultra.