50mm for Nikon D5100

Rheinwasser
Go to solution Solved by zenodio,

So you want a 50mm equivalent focal-lenght for your crop-sensor camera?
Y'know, the "35mm crop sensor version" which you said wasn't enough is actually exactly what you're looking for.

The 35mm crop-sensor version will give you the exact same field of view as the 35mm full-frame version.

The only difference is the full-frame version is designed specifically for full-frame cameras and will give the same field of view as you'd expect from a 35mm lens on a full-frame camera.

But the 35mm crop-sensor version is designed specifically for cameras with a crop-sensor, which means it will be the equivalent of a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera.

My point is, you can use both the full-frame version and the crop-sensor version of the 35mm lens on a crop-sensor camera and you will have the exact same field-of-view, but only the full-frame version of the 35mm camera will work properly on a full-frame camera.

If you put a lens designed specifically for crop-sensor cameras on a full-frame body, you will get vignette near the edges of the frame and generally get worse results, that's why there is a full-frame version and a crop-sensor version of the same lens.

Bottom line is:
Get this lens!
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-Fixed-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=pd_sim_421_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51VQ%2B4bsibL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0ADH7H9DT257753R24C0

Here's something I copy-pasted from the description:

• 35mm focal length
  • 52.5mm equivalent focal length on DX cameras

I want to buy a 50mm F1:1.8 for my D5100 (APS-C).

There is the Nikon 50mm F1:1.8D for 120€, dirtcheap. But it's a full frame lense, so effectively 75mm.

The same goes for the 50mm F1:1.8G for 170€. There is no crop sensor version.

Then I thought about getting a fullframe 35mm lense which would be equivalent to 52,5mm on my camera. But now suddenly there is a crop sensor version, which obviously is only 35mm, which is not enough.

The fullframe 35mm costs 500€. Bullshit.

How, just how? I just want to buy a 50mm for my D5100. I want to give Nikon my money, and they can not deliver?

What the fuck.

snip

Focal length doesn't change with whatever sensor size your camera uses.  A 50mm focal length will remain 50mm on APS-C, FF, Medium Format, Large Format, Micro Four Thirds, etc.  What changes is the field of view.

So if you want to have a field of view similar to 50mm on FF, you need a lens that is 33.33 mm in focal length for your camera.  Get the Nikon 35 1.8G.

This goes for all camera manufactures, there is NO SUCH THING as a cropped sensor version 50mm focal length.

Now the difference between a full frame and cropped 35mm lens?  It's the size of the image circle that the lens creates to provide coverage of the sensor. The cropped 35mm lens' image circle is a cropped out portion of the full frame lens' image circle.  So whether you buy the lens designed for the full frame sensor or cropped sensor, the field of view for your camera will be the same.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

-snip-

Thanks, I know. I could have also written 'I am looking for field of view representative lense of 50mm on a full-frame sensor for my D5100'. But I didn't and you did understand me so there was no reason to. 

That doesn't change the fact that there is no 50mm F1:1.8 lense for crop sensor as it seems. And I ain't gonna spend 500€ on a 50mm.

Thanks.

Thanks, I know. I could have also written 'I am looking for field of view representative lense of 50mm on a full-frame sensor for my D5100'. But I didn't and you did understand me so there was no reason to. 

That doesn't change the fact that there is no 50mm F1:1.8 lense for crop sensor as it seems. And I ain't gonna spend 500€ on a 50mm.

Thanks.

Get the 50 1.8D, I own it and it's still a fantastic piece of glass.  Or the 35 1.8G DX.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I want to buy a 50mm F1:1.8 for my D5100 (APS-C).

There is the Nikon 50mm F1:1.8D for 120€, dirtcheap. But it's a full frame lense, so effectively 75mm.

The same goes for the 50mm F1:1.8G for 170€. There is no crop sensor version.

Then I thought about getting a fullframe 35mm lense which would be equivalent to 52,5mm on my camera. But now suddenly there is a crop sensor version, which obviously is only 35mm, which is not enough.

The fullframe 35mm costs 500€. Bullshit.

How, just how? I just want to buy a 50mm for my D5100. I want to give Nikon my money, and they can not deliver?

What the fuck.

If you want the field of view of a 50mm, get the 35mm f1.8g by Nikon. Fantastic lens, I have that setup.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Get the 50 1.8D, I own it and it's still a fantastic piece of glass.  Or the 35 1.8G DX.

I know that both are great lenses, it's just that I need a 50. Not 85, not 35.

If you want the field of view of a 50mm, get the 35mm f1.8g by Nikon. Fantastic lens, I have that setup.

But paying 500€ for a lense on a body that is basically half of that does not make a lot of sense. And I do not take that many photos either, so that cannot justify the price.

Thanks.

If you are looking for 50mm field of view for the d5100 then you want the 35mm 1.8g

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-Fixed-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448141815&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+35mm

Nikon also makes a 50mm 1.8g that's $220 

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-Fixed-Focus-Cameras/dp/B004Y1AYAC/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448141751&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+50mm

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

But paying 500€ for a lense on a body that is basically half of that does not make a lot of sense. And I do not take that many photos either, so that cannot justify the price.

The 35 1.8g is only $200  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

you know there is one for a DX version.... which is way cheaper than the one you're talking about which is the FX version.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Why do you need a 50mm lens?

And why invest in another lens if you don't take that many photos?

Y'know, the "35mm crop sensor version" which you said wasn't enough is actually exactly what you're looking for.

The 35mm crop-sensor version will give you the exact same field of view as the 35mm full-frame version.

The only difference is the full-frame version is designed specifically for full-frame cameras and will give the same field of view as you'd expect from a 35mm lens on a full-frame camera.

But the 35mm crop-sensor version is designed specifically for cameras with a crop-sensor, which means it will be the equivalent of a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera.

My point is, you can use both the full-frame version and the crop-sensor version of the 35mm lens on a crop-sensor camera and you will have the exact same field-of-view, but only the full-frame version of the 35mm camera will work properly on a full-frame camera.

If you put a lens designed specifically for crop-sensor cameras on a full-frame body, you will get vignette near the edges of the frame and generally get worse results, that's why there is a full-frame version and a crop-sensor version of the same lens.

Bottom line is:
Get this lens!
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-Fixed-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=pd_sim_421_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51VQ%2B4bsibL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0ADH7H9DT257753R24C0

• 35mm focal length

This has been beaten to death above, but just another 2c of info:

Nikon does not change their focal length descriptions based on DX or FX (Crop vs Full). All of their lenses have their focal length listed in relation to a 35mm (full frame) camera whether it's a DX or FX lens. So that 35mm IS a 35mm. The DX Lenses are just designed for a smaller sensor, likely smaller diameter optics.

When you stick it on your 5100, it will behave like a 50mm. If you stick it on a full-frame, it will be a 35mm (with lots of vignetting - because it's designed for a crop sensor). I know, because I've had two of them on two different crop sensor cameras.

So, just buy the $200 35mm 1.8G. you do NOT want the 1.8D, as you need a camera with a focusing motor (D7000 +). 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Why do you need a 50mm lens?

And why invest in another lens if you don't take that many photos?

why do you need a lense?

the amount of photos can't justify a 500€ price on a lense, 200€ is absolutely fine.

Bottom line is:

Get this lens!

• 35mm focal length

thanks a lot. i always thought that they would name it the equivalent, which is what they did on all my point-and-shoots and even some nikon cameras.

i'll oder a dx 35mm.

This has been beaten to death above, but just another 2c of info:

Nikon does not change their focal length descriptions based on DX or FX (Crop vs Full). All of their lenses have their focal length listed in relation to a 35mm (full frame) camera whether it's a DX or FX lens. So that 35mm IS a 35mm. The DX Lenses are just designed for a smaller sensor, likely smaller diameter optics.

When you stick it on your 5100, it will behave like a 50mm. If you stick it on a full-frame, it will be a 35mm (with lots of vignetting - because it's designed for a crop sensor). I know, because I've had two of them on two different crop sensor cameras.

So, just buy the $200 35mm 1.8G. you do NOT want the 1.8D, as you need a camera with a focusing motor (D7000 +). 

this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks a lot.

can you confirm that my kit lense 18-55mm is equivalent to 27-82.5mm on my d5100?

thanks a lot.

can you confirm that my kit lense 18-55mm is equivalent to 27-82.5mm on my d5100?

If you have a cropped sensor, just multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.5 (Nikon APS-C) or 1.6 (Canon APS-C)

No problem, it can be a bit confusing if you're relatively new to all this.
I spent a LOT of time researching different things when I got into photography.

Hope you'll enjoy the lens!