bitrate make a difference?

Cvdasfg
Go to solution Solved by Universal_Cereal_Bus,

Oh wow thats great! Ill post my pictures for that utility here in case it helps you anyhow... after my test render finishes.... the Laptop life....

A linus fan made this for Adobe... 

My gameplay was recorded at 50mbps should i keep it at that? or encode it to you tubes recommended? Will quality change? 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Higher bitrate = more information in each frame.

It plateaus because of YouTube's compression though.

Youtube will compress the hell out of it anyway so going above the recommended won't do you any good. According to this they recommend using VBR.

You'll always be limited by Youtube anyway so you might as well lower the bitrate yourself to say around 10-20mbps so you have a smaller file, that way they'll upload a lot faster.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

You'll always be limited by Youtube anyway so you might as well lower the bitrate yourself to say around 10-20mbps so you have a smaller file, that way they'll upload a lot faster.

Youtube will compress the hell out of it anyway so going above the recommended won't do you any good. According to this they recommend using VBR.

Well any suggestions on how to not make it look terrible then? Because the recording looks SOOO much better then the youtube upload.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Well any suggestions on how to not make it look terrible then? Because the recording looks SOOO much better then the youtube upload.

Pray to the YouTube Gods they start using different codecs that allow more quality in the streams?

Pray to the YouTube Gods they start using different codecs that allow more quality in the streams?

No but heres the thing.. Here ill show an example.

This looks great right? Same game..  

this is my attempt at uploading form the same game. 

Not sure the difference? 

Purists will say to keep the bitrate as high as possible (equal to source) for as long as possible. However, full HD video is comfortable at youtube's recommended bitrates.

So the only real factor is if your internet or storage are bottlenecks. Remember ideally you would upload 50 Mbps but how long would that take??

Bottom line: 50 Mbps is overkill. These recommended bitrates are actually fairly competitive. Also, remember that you are the best judge of what quality setting is right for you. You could keep trying lower settings until you actually notice a huge difference. Remember to compare it on youtube's website. The difference there should be fairly small.

As a sanity check- netflix bitrate for full HD is 5.8 Mbps. Now, remember, that they have optimized some other settings as well while encoding- you can encode at a slower speed to achieve smaller file sizes. So basically for game video uploading and such, you want a fairly decent bitrate- for 60 fps 1080p, record at 15 -20 Mbps. You can convert it to a lower bitrate afterwards to make a smaller upload file... But trial and error is best here.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

No but heres the thing.. Here ill show an example.

This looks great right? Same game..

this is my attempt at uploading form the same game.

Not sure the difference? 

Looks close enough. What's your render and record settings?

upscale to 4k then upload

Just saw the new posts...

So one trick that linus shared is uploading at 4k. Not recording at 4k, mind you! Upscale video to 4k so that youtube THINKS its higher quality. It actually makes the 1080p version on youtube better. Linus made a video about it.

EDIT: Whoops! Someone beat me to it ^

Just saw the new posts...

So one trick that linus shared is uploading at 4k. Not recording at 4k, mind you! Upscale video to 4k so that youtube THINKS its higher quality. It actually makes the 1080p version on youtube better. Linus made a video about it.

EDIT: Whoops! Someone beat me to it ^

How do you upscale the video from 1080p to 4k?

So, you need a video editing program. Any of them will be able to do this- the instructions vary across the programs.

Do you have one that you are using right now?

So, you need a video editing program. Any of them will be able to do this- the instructions vary across the programs.

Do you have one that you are using right now?

Ok heres a simple utility: http://www.videohelp.com/software/VidCoder

Get the 64 bit version. I'll make a short guide with pretty pictures in a few minutes.

I have adobe cc stuff. So premier encoder ect

Oh wow thats great! Ill post my pictures for that utility here in case it helps you anyhow... after my test render finishes.... the Laptop life....

Thanks!!!!

Everything above is accurate.  The higher the bitrate, the less visible the compression artifacts.  Since YouTube re-encodes everything to conform to it's various stream type specs, this introduces a lossy compression pass, if you're uploading video that was already compressed in a lossy fashion, they gain compression artifacts twice.  Also, if you're EDITING video and then exporting it as h.264 or any other lossless format, you'll be adding a THIRD lossy compression pass.

As a note, YouTube actually supports a VAST amount of formats, including various lossless ones if minimizing artifacts and maximizing quality is of interest to you.  For some of my uploads what I've uploaded was h.264's lossless profile which YouTube supports ingestion of.  Yes, h.264 does have a lossless mode, though it'll still convert to a 4:2:0 color space which would be a lossy process in itself, but you'll be hard pressed to find any non-archive media format that does not use 4:2:0 color space.  Lossless h.264 files are, obviously, big as hell.  A 10min short film of mine took about 7.5GB of storage.

I think you may be non objective about your video. Since you played through it- it might look a lot worse to you than others. Here is a zoomed in comparison.

Second one is yours

post-261369-0-92601700-1448073578_thumb.

post-261369-0-29199700-1448073584_thumb.

My gameplay was recorded at 50mbps should i keep it at that? or encode it to you tubes recommended? Will quality change? 

While higher bit rate does equal having more information for each frame, that of course depends on the quality of the initial recording.  If you had recorded video with a digital camera from over 10 years ago, with a resolution like 480p, putting in more bit rates would not make the video appear better.  The same thing if you did a poor job filming video with the most high end model on production today.

As others have commented, YT does process videos you've uploaded, so using a higher bit rate than what they recommend is also again can be a waste.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It actually makes the 1080p version on youtube better.

No it doesn't the 1080p version will be a tiny bit worse due to scaling.

Yes, h.264 does have a lossless mode, though it'll still convert to a 4:2:0 color space which would be a lossy process in itself, but you'll be hard pressed to find any non-archive media format that does not use 4:2:0 color space. Lossless h.264 files are, obviously, big as hell. A 10min short film of mine took about 7.5GB of storage.

h.264 supports 4:4:4 and x264 supports lossless 4:4:4, also YT supports decoding lossless h264

4:2:0 isn't a colorspace it's chroma subsampling.