Carbon Fiber Cover For Motherboard?

DatScreamer

Hello. I have a PC I built during the summer on a low budget. It is a nice computer but I had to skimp out on everything but the CPU (I do graphics heavy work more than gaming)

My cheap Asrock Z97 Pro3 ($130) motherboard is really quite nice looking in color scheme but I was thinking that it would look better if I put carbon fiber wrap over top of it. I would leave room for air of course. I am thinking about doing this because my motherboard (Except the heatsinks) is uglier than I would like.

As you know christmas is coming up so I am preparing a list for my parents and siblings. I was thinking that I could do this to spice up my computer's aesthetics. I am also getting a H100I and cable extensions.

Is carbon fiber wrap like the plastic covers seen on gaming motherboards (Marketing term) feasible? What would the pros/cons be?

you need to have a piece of hard plastic first to stick the wrap on, it wont stick directly on the motherboard

this is why people who want to do this buy a motherboard with a shroud, like a sabertooth board

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello. I have a PC I built during the summer on a low budget. It is a nice computer but I had to skimp out on everything but the CPU (I do graphics heavy work more than gaming)

My cheap Asrock Z97 Pro3 ($130) motherboard is really quite nice looking in color scheme but I was thinking that it would look better if I put carbon fiber wrap over top of it. I would leave room for air of course. I am thinking about doing this because my motherboard (Except the heatsinks) is uglier than I would like.

As you know christmas is coming up so I am preparing a list for my parents and siblings. I was thinking that I could do this to spice up my computer's aesthetics. I am also getting a H100I and cable extensions.

Is carbon fiber wrap like the plastic covers seen on gaming motherboards (Marketing term) feasible? What would the pros/cons be?

Welcome to the forum!

It might be ok, just make sure the carbon skin is heat resistant.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

Most of the thermal amour or covers for boards are more aesthetic than anything else, but they do tend to make cooling worst than just open air for the most part.

For this though you will need to custom make stuff like this since it's not readily available or compatible between motherboards. Having say an acrylic sheet wrapped in carbon fiber with the appropriate cutouts for slots and heatinks would be your best bet using standoffs to give it an air gap between it and the motherboard.

Welcome to the forum!

It might be ok, just make sure the carbon skin is heat resistant.

And that it does not short out the motherboard. I do not plan to have the plastic touch the motherboard. instead I will buy the appropriate screws to mount the motherboard, glue standoffs to them and use those points to stick the wrap, so there is still air between the motherboard for cooling.

you need to have a piece of hard plastic first to stick the wrap on, it wont stick directly on the motherboard

this is why people who want to do this buy a motherboard with a shroud, like a sabertooth board

I see what you are saying. I was on a budget of $400 for my whole computer so this was not a possibility at the time. It is still not a possibility. I heaped out on my motherboard so I could get a good CPU for rendering in video production and 3D modeling.