Best Streaming Device

GeekJump

Black Friday will be soon upon us and I aim to buy a new streaming device!

I currently have the OG Chromcast and love it except for the fact I need to use another device to control it (idk if it's just me but my devices sometimes disconnect and I have to wait while it reconnects to control videos)

Question is, what device is best for my needs besides the chromcast!?!? Orginally planned on Amazon Fire since I just renewed my prime a/c but heard the YT app is ehh

Apps I use (in order of usage)

1. Youtube
  2. Hulu
  3. Vessel
  4. Twitch
  5. HBO GO, Showtime, other network apps

*I would use Prime Video more but it had chromcast support.

So, is Amazon Fire TV good for my needs so is there a better solution (roku, random brand, etc.)

Would get a Shield but don't feel like spending +$199 for one (budget is -$100)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

if you like the chromecast but want a remote, there is the nexus player or razer forge TV, both run android TV so they have a proper youtube application, and are fairly decent and around the $100 mark.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

I like my Nexus Players (I have two of them -- one in the living room, one in the bed room).  If you go the FireTV route, do *not* get the stick -- it sucks.  I picked up one of them when Amazon first released them to their Prime customers at half off. It's OK, but it is *sooo slow*.  My Plex server had to transcode just about everything it sent to it due to lack of codec support.  

I don't know if the Nexus player supports Vessel or Twitch, though.  That's something I'd have to look at when I get home.

I like my Nexus Players (I have two of them -- one in the living room, one in the bed room).  If you go the FireTV route, do *not* get the stick -- it sucks.  I picked up one of them when Amazon first released them to their Prime customers at half off. It's OK, but it is *sooo slow*.  My Plex server had to transcode just about everything it sent to it due to lack of codec support.  

I don't know if the Nexus player supports Vessel or Twitch, though.  That's something I'd have to look at when I get home.

You can stream them like a chromecast, since the Nexus Player has the cast functionality. But no, does not have Vessel or Twitch apps. 

Also, nowadays the Nexus player can be had for $50 or less.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Yeah, was thinking Nexus player since its the obvious direct upgrade from the chromecast and now the price is dropping to the $50 range. But does it have a prime app (I know Amazon stopped selling the chromecast because of that even tho that issue is partly Amazon's fault)?

Also, is it still current enough? With all these price drops on the Nexus there is either going to be a Nexus 2 coming soon or a full discontinuation. If I doesn't have Vessel or Twitch app its not that bad since I wont be renewing my free trail when it ends and Twitch is rarely used off (only 1-3 are apps I used daily).

if you like the chromecast but want a remote, there is the nexus player or razer forge TV, both run android TV so they have a proper youtube application, and are fairly decent and around the $100 mark.

Isn't Razer stopping support for the Forge?

The nexus would be nice but I would be beyond annoyed if Google announced a new version right after I buy it xD

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Yeah, was thinking Nexus player since its the obvious direct upgrade from the chromecast and now the price is dropping to the $50 range. But does it have a prime app (I know Amazon stopped selling the chromecast because of that even tho that issue is partly Amazon's fault)?

Also, is it still current enough? With all these price drops on the Nexus there is either going to be a Nexus 2 coming soon or a full discontinuation. If I doesn't have Vessel or Twitch app its not that bad since I wont be renewing my free trail when it ends and Twitch is rarely used off (only 1-3 are apps I used daily).

Isn't Razer stopping support for the Forge?

The nexus would be nice but I would be beyond annoyed if Google announced a new version right after I buy it xD

No amazon app for Android TV. There have been apps that work, and then amazon does some kinda update and it always breaks. So, no.

I'd honestly start saying Roku for a streaming device if you need more supported apps. 

Forge... I'd only purchase if you wanted to get into some android games on a TV. Forge was just dropped from the google store... I think it's likely failing. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

No amazon app for Android TV. There have been apps that work, and then amazon does some kinda update and it always breaks. So, no.

I'd honestly start saying Roku for a streaming device if you need more supported apps. 

Forge... I'd only purchase if you wanted to get into some android games on a TV. Forge was just dropped from the google store... I think it's likely failing. 

Yes was looking into the Amazon/Android thing while waiting for replies. Amazon is really trying to force feed Fire Products to their customers.

Do you know how is the Roku YT and Hulu apps? Maybe the Roku 4 for potential future proofing but I don't have (or plan on getting) a 4K TV right now.