"Budget" Mic Recomendation

MiniNinja6

I do some amateur video making with some of my friends and I am looking for a "budget" upgrade in audio. Budget doesn't necessarily mean cheap if I'm getting a good return for the larger expense. I have a Nikon d3200 that we mainly use to film along with a couple gopros for action or POV shots, the mic definitely needs to work with the D3200 somehow and it would be nice if it could record its own audio to use with gopro shots. The main thing we film now is mountain biking and RC car driving, which requires more ambient noise (and preferably stereo, but that's not too big of a deal). However, I am planning to make some documentary style videos in the future so I would like it if the mic would also work for voice and interviews so I don't have to buy another one. I have some experience with portable recorders like the Zoom H4, but I don't think those get ambient noise very well, right? Any help and recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yeti?

Snowball?

Neither will work in any way shape or form for his application. 

I do some amateur video making with some of my friends and I am looking for a "budget" upgrade in audio. Budget doesn't necessarily mean cheap if I'm getting a good return for the larger expense. I have a Nikon d3200 that we mainly use to film along with a couple gopros for action or POV shots, the mic definitely needs to work with the D3200 somehow and it would be nice if it could record its own audio to use with gopro shots. The main thing we film now is mountain biking and RC car driving, which requires more ambient noise (and preferably stereo, but that's not too big of a deal). However, I am planning to make some documentary style videos in the future so I would like it if the mic would also work for voice and interviews so I don't have to buy another one. I have some experience with portable recorders like the Zoom H4, but I don't think those get ambient noise very well, right? Any help and recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Are you WANTING ambient noise? I am re-reading your last part and cant understand for some reason :(

Edit: okay, brain kicked into gear. I think your idea for the Zoom H4n may just work fine, Since it can do up to 120 degrees pattern, it should do "okay" for some ambient stuff. 

The H5 has different capsules as well, which may be handy, and the big one - XLR inputs (which both have) and will allow for the addition of a different mic if absolutely needed. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Sorry if I wasn't that clear, here is a video that shows exactly the type of sound I am talking about. If you have stereo speakers or a stereo headset, you can also hear the riders coming from one side or the other and going off the other side, this is the kind of effect I'm going for but it isn't completely necessary. I hope that makes more sense :)

Yeti?

Snowball?

Did you read the post?  How are you planning on using a yeti or snowball with a dslr?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HYVMY0/ref=s9_hps_bw_g267_i6

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Compact-VMP-Microphone/dp/B004K8WPUQ/ref=pd_cp_267_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZAQ2VA1ER30B96DY9AZ

These are two fantastic on camera mics.  I have no experience with the stereo mic.  But if its as good as the shotgun mic then it will be great.  I use the shotgun mic for my filming.

You can pair them with a

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_422_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=4133M%2BDeEtL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QYW4NG1SBR7RWXGJJYT

for audio recording.  You may actually be able to record just with the zoom but it might not be powerful enough to pick up a subject not close to the camera.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I've heard a lot of good things about the regular (not stereo) videomic, but shotgun mics are mono, correct (this isn't a deal breaker I just want to know)? I've seen the stereo mic but it's a bit too expensive for me and I've heard that it picks up too much ambient noise to use for interviews/voice, is this correct?

Also, thanks so much for the amazingly quick responses!

snip

Different mics for different tasks.

Something like a Zoom H4n or H5 can handle double duty, as a standalone field audio recorder or a preamp for external mics.  Additionally the Zoom H4n can record audio captured by the 2 condenser mics it has and 2 additional mics connected to the XLR/jack combo port, totaling 4 tracks of audio.

For interviews, documentary style shooting you should go with a good mono or stereo shotgun mic as I don't think the H4n is suited for recording someone talking a few feet in front of the camera, especially if it's in an environment with lots of ambient noise.  Either a shotgun or lavalier is preferred for interviews, connected straight into the external audio recorder.

The Zoom H4n or H5 with its various microphone modules would be good to handle "action" noises such as if you are in the sidelines filming a mountain bike race.  The stereo mics would capture the audio very well, you don't need to be trying to record a specific audio source like you would during an interview.

What I would do is record the audio in both the Zoom H4n/H5 or which ever external recorder you use, but also record the audio in the DSLR either using its crappy internal mics or via a cable connecting the external recorder's line-out port to camera microphone port.  The audio track recorded by the camera will be the scratch track for helping sync the better quality audio from the external recorder.

I've heard a lot of good things about the regular (not stereo) videomic, but shotgun mics are mono, correct (this isn't a deal breaker I just want to know)? I've seen the stereo mic but it's a bit too expensive for me and I've heard that it picks up too much ambient noise to use for interviews/voice, is this correct?

Also, thanks so much for the amazingly quick responses!

There are indeed some stereo shotgun mics, I personally haven't used one myself so I am not sure whether they are simply splitting the audio signal into two cables or indeed have capsules arranged  in a "stereo" pattern in the microphone body.

I prefer working with unidirectional shotgun or lavs for interviews.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The rode videomic X would be a great piece of kit here though its pricey

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Maybe you can pick up a Rode Stereo VideoMic for cheap since the new one's out. 

Overkill. For the same price you could get the standard Stereo VideoMic which is decent and a pretty good shotgun mic as well as a boom pole.

Overkill. For the same price you could get the standard Stereo VideoMic which is decent and a pretty good shotgun mic as well as a boom pole.

True facts

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Different mics for different tasks....

We use Zoom H4s as our main audio source in my video film class, and they pick up voices in interviews very well even with quite a bit of background noise (such as in a gym), and they get barely any of the background noise, am I missing something? If the Zoom can pick up the ambient noise of mountain biking, then wouldn't that be the best option?

WOW! That's 2x the price of the camera I use.

I don't have any experience with boom poles, but what are the advantages of using one? Would it be worth it to get one?

Also, what is the difference between the Rode Videomic and Videomic GO? Is the added electronics something like a 20db boost?

And, some people online are saying that this Shure mic is a lot better than the Rode mics, any experience with both or does anyone know why they say that? 

And last but not least, why are wind shields so expensive? Is it just me or is $30 a bit much for a sack lined with fake fur

Oh yeah, one more thing I almost forgot. Is there a chance I could get one of these mics really cheap on black Friday? I assume it would be online since I don't know of any stores that would sell stuff like this.

We use Zoom H4s as our main audio source in my video film class, and they pick up voices in interviews very well even with quite a bit of background noise (such as in a gym), and they get barely any of the background noise, am I missing something? If the Zoom can pick up the ambient noise of mountain biking, then wouldn't that be the best option?

WOW! That's 2x the price of the camera I use.

I don't have any experience with boom poles, but what are the advantages of using one? Would it be worth it to get one?

Also, what is the difference between the Rode Videomic and Videomic GO? Is the added electronics something like a 20db boost?

And, some people online are saying that this Shure mic is a lot better than the Rode mics, any experience with both or does anyone know why they say that?

You're right, the H4 can be used for interviews.

Boom poles are used for many reasons. To reach sound sources in hard to reach place like on tree branches, or if the sound source is far from the camera that an on camera microphone is useless. Many directional microphones capture sound within a small arc degree in front of the mic, but perhaps using a boom to aim the microphone facing down from above the sound source is better than aiming at the source from the side where it can pick up sound coming from any source as long as it is within that coverage area.

By the way, if you're working solo you may want to avoid using boom poles. Unless your camera is fixed in position and can be left alone to record without any need for managing it, you will have some difficulty in operating both the camera and a boom.

As for the differences between the VideoMic, Go and the Shure. I'm not sure which one is better, but having the 20db boost can be helpful. The differences might be perceived differences or differences in opinion. Both Shure and Rode are good brands.

I'm not a sound engineer, I have better knowledge as a photographer and operating a video camera. For the audio part, if I get clean noiseless audio that's enough to for me.

I'm also in the market to buy some additional microphones, for recording music and instrumental performances and recently consulted with some people who know this stuff better. I've been advised not to buy all the microphones I need from the same brand as I would be stuck with the same sonic characteristics.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

By the way, if you're working solo you may want to avoid using boom poles. Unless your camera is fixed in position and can be left alone to record without any need for managing it, you will have some difficulty in operating both the camera and a boom.

We're a team of three but one or two of us will almost always be on the other side of the camera. I guess I never made the connection between the pole and the person that needs to hold it  :D

Also, is there any significant difference between the H1 and H4? Is it just the XLR jacks or is there a considerable difference in the mic/recording quality that would justify the extra cost since I don't need the XLR jacks? 

Also, is there any significant difference between the H1 and H4? Is it just the XLR jacks or is there a considerable difference in the mic/recording quality that would justify the extra cost since I don't need the XLR jacks? 

XLR ports, better preamp, multi track, the H4 mics are better.  If you choose to get the H1, I recommend getting an additional mic that can be connected to the H1.

If you live in the US (or anywhere else for that matter), you can send an email to audio@bhphotovideo.com and get some advice about audio equipment.  Tell them your budget, what your needs are and they will get back to you with a few recommendations.

XLR ports, better preamp, multi track, the H4 mics are better.  If you choose to get the H1, I recommend getting an additional mic that can be connected to the H1.

If you live in the US (or anywhere else for that matter), you can send an email to audio@bhphotovideo.com and get some advice about audio equipment.  Tell them your budget, what your needs are and they will get back to you with a few recommendations.

I didn't know they did that, I'll have to try it out. Thanks!