A small photography backpack.

electrolux

Sorry about the 3 threads I've made in a short while here. But can someone recommend a small photography backpack for carrying a CSC and a few lenses. I don't need a laptop compartment but I do need some form of strap on the backpack to carry a small travel tripod.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Sorry about the 3 threads I've made in a short while here. But can someone recommend a small photography backpack for carrying a CSC and a few lenses. I don't need a laptop compartment but I do need some form of strap on the backpack to carry a small travel tripod.

Lowepro are good, but if you can afford it ThinkTankPhoto or Gura Gear are much better. In fact, now that Gura Gear is going to switch to calling themselves Tamrac they are offering discounts.

Ok, now to ask an important question: what is the upper limit of your budget?  What exact accessories/how much gear do you want to carry?

The best thing you can do, go to the stores that sells camera bags.  Take your gear, try out each bag you like at the store, see how your gear fits inside.  See how comfortable you are with the bag on your back, full of gear.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Lowepro are good, but if you can afford it ThinkTankPhoto or Gura Gear are much better. In fact, now that Gura Gear is going to switch to calling themselves Tamrac they are offering discounts.

Ok, now to ask an important question: what is the upper limit of your budget? What exact accessories/how much gear do you want to carry?

I don't really want to carry much, just as mentioned above, I know I don't need a back pack for such a small amount of gear but its a personal preference as i don't like gadget bags. As for the budget, can't really say but i won't be comfortable with more than £30...

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

I don't really want to carry much, just as mentioned above, I know I don't need a back pack for such a small amount of gear but its a personal preference as i don't like gadget bags. As for the budget, can't really say but i won't be comfortable with more than £30...

The best thing you can do, go to the stores that sells camera bags.  Take your gear, try out each bag you like at the store, see how your gear fits inside.  See how comfortable you are with the bag on your back, full of gear.

There are camera bags and then there are Camera Bags... I can't really recommend any bag for you on Amazon for your budget because I have experience with a variety of bags of all price ranges... and expect a certain level of quality.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The best thing you can do, go to the stores that sells camera bags. Take your gear, try out each bag you like at the store, see how your gear fits inside. See how comfortable you are with the bag on your back, full of gear.

There are camera bags and then there are camera bags... I can't really recommend any bag for you on Amazon for your budget because I have experience with a variety of bags of all price ranges...

Good idea...

*how shall i take my gear to the store without a bag? [emoji12]

Good idea...

Another thing you should consider, when buying a backpack style camera bag, how it opens/how you access your gear.

Ask this guy (this is an actual professional photographer, if I am not mistaken)

20140523-01-LearnPhoto.jpg

Good idea...

Tesco shopping bag,,,, sorted.

Seriously though, bags are very preferential.... had more than a few and been rid when they just didn't fit the job.

As it stands, a lowepro is the current get up and go bag. A Tamrac Pro 12, is the secondary as its not intended to hold anything intended to be picked straight up and work.

The other thing is, all will have some level of customisation.... Took a lot of ruddy fiddling but the Lowepro, being a sort of mid of the range backpack, holds 2 bodies, 2 flashes, 70-200, 24-70, a fish eye, and 2 other primes. There is VERY little breathing space but some how it works. 

So I can only emulate what Alwin says,,, go try some out. 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

Ask this guy (this is an actual professional photographer, if I am not mistaken)

20140523-01-LearnPhoto.jpg

Lol, that guy is awesome!

I found this Lowepro one, doesn't have tripod straps but I'm sure I can figure out something.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-Format-Backpack-150-Bag-Photo-Digital-Camera-Tablet-7-Compact-DSLR-NEW-/321326287889

There are several types of backpacks, each with their own way of giving you access to your gear.

This is the most basic. Personally I don't like this stype because you need to take it off to access gear.  And if you put in on the ground, the area of the bag that will be touching your back can get dirty staining your jacket, clothes, etc.

camera_backpack_DSLR_camera_bag_Godspeed

There are some models with a partial side access, you can access some of the gear while still having the bag on your shoulder.  You sling the bag on one shoulder and swing it around to the front.

BX2-Pro-Backpack-Camera-Bag-2.jpg

And my favorite style of access, the backside opening style, this one really lets me keep the bag on my shoulder and still access all my gear.  Or if I take off the bag and put it on the ground to take out gear, when I put it back on the part of the bag that touches the back of my clothes is not covered in dirt, mud, etc.

In this style, the bag opening is between the body of the bag and your back (when you are wearing the bag).

21012f0d9e7512dfe9373f1d421962c1.jpg

There are several types of backpacks, each with their own way of giving you access to your gear.

This is the most basic. Personally I don't like this stype because you need to take it off to access gear. And if you put in on the ground, the area of the bag that will be touching your back can get dirty staining your jacket, clothes, etc.

camera_backpack_DSLR_camera_bag_Godspeed

There are some models with a partial side access, you can access some of the gear while still having the bag on your shoulder. You sling the bag on one shoulder and swing it around to the front.

BX2-Pro-Backpack-Camera-Bag-2.jpg

And my favorite style of access, the backside opening style, this one really lets me keep the bag on my shoulder and still access all my gear. Or if I take off the bag and put it on the ground to take out gear, when I put it back on the part of the bag that touches the back of my clothes is not covered in dirt, mud, etc.

In this style, the bag opening is between the body of the bag and your back (when you are wearing the bag).

21012f0d9e7512dfe9373f1d421962c1.jpg

The thing is, I'm not going to use it on long treks or walks, only for short distances or by public transport so I don't need to access my gear too quickly nor am I likely to be going muddy areas, even if I am, personally not bothered about getting muddy so a basic one really should do for now, so long as it's not a complete pile of rubbish where the zips break the 5th time I use it.

snip

Get a good lowepro, tamrac, crumpler, kata or tenba bag, they will last you sometime.  Just go to the store as I said and look at the bags, try them out.

Get a good lowepro, tamrac, crumpler, kata or tenba bag, they will last you sometime. Just go to the store as I said and look at the bags, try them out.

Yup, will do. Thanks for your help.

Yup, will do. Thanks for your help.

I love my lowerpro messenger 150 but if you dont like messenger backs

I can recommend this which is my camera backpack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Advanced-Active-Camera-Backpack/dp/B00FM2R50Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447926561&sr=1-3&keywords=manfrotto+bags

Amazon do their own camera bags which are good too

But yeah just go into jessops and look around :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I love my lowerpro messenger 150 but if you dont like messenger backs

I can recommend this which is my camera backpack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Advanced-Active-Camera-Backpack/dp/B00FM2R50Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447926561&sr=1-3&keywords=manfrotto+bags

Amazon do their own camera bags which are good too

But yeah just go into jessops and look around [emoji14]

Dats a bit pricey.

Dats a bit pricey.

Worth it, but yeah I switched from that backpack to the 150 messenger, and its so great with my A7

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a Lowepro Fastpack 250 which has served me well. Has worked well on multiple 2-3 week trips to San Diego, and a month long trip to Japan where it got heavy use every day for both work and free time. It has some trouble fitting under some airplane seats, but they do make smaller versions of the same backpack. I often found myself just sticking it in the overhead.

Long Post Warning. 

TL:DR Event messenger is $30 and great bag. Mine has lasted 3 years, and only was replaced because I outgrew it. 
A bit nicer would be a Tenba Messenger, maybe the 11 or 13. I have the larger version - very nice bag. 

Tripod straps on bags are almost nonexistent, especially smaller bags. Backpacks are what have those. But then Bigger, more $$.

Lowepro Event Messenger 150

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-Camera-Shoulder/dp/B0077B3E5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447959311&sr=8-1&keywords=Event+messenger+150

Pros:

1.       Small, mostly nondescript.

2.       Fits consumer DSLR + 2 lenses + flash, or 3 lenses.

3.       Space for ipad or tablet.

4.       Great for a night out, and just need a small bag.

5.       Keeps water out well.

6.       Cheap.

Cons:

1.       It looks like a camera bag (it’s a box with a strap).

2.       Does not defy physics and hold more than it looks.

3.       Prosumer DSLRs will be cramped. Battery grip…no.

I needed laptop capabilities so I got:

Lowepro Fastpack 250 AW:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-250-AW-Backpack/dp/B000YIYQ30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447958870&sr=8-1&keywords=Fastpack+250

Pros:

1.       Easy access to camera and even laptop.

2.       Great for a Camera + standard computer stuff bag.

3.       Full-Frame fits easy. May have issues with battery grips and pro dslr’s though.

4.       Fits under seats in aircraft as “personal item”. 16+ flights and no issue.

5.       Fits average amount of gear.

Cons:

1.       It’s still a backpack. If you don’t like the form factor, its not magic.

2.       I feel it is small inside and bigger outside.

3.       2 longer lenses (24-70 f2.8 + 70-200 f2.8) Might not fit.

4.       3 lenses + flashes + radio triggers + computer + cables.. gonna get tight.

And then I Just got:

Tenba Messenger DNA 15

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-638-381-Messenger-Camera-Graphite/dp/B00EVVNPT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447959913&sr=8-1&keywords=Tenba+DNA+15

Pros:

1.       Sexy. Doesn’t scream “camera nerd, please mug me”.

2.       Magnetic Fidlocks. And silent Velcro.

3.       15” laptop, easy. Not JUST macbook 15”. + Tablet.

4.       Doubles as normal bag, as camera carry is removable.

5.       Pockets. Pockets everywhere.

6.       Will fit in airplane under seat.

7.       Easy access zipper, no need to open flap to grab most things fast.

8.       Fits pro DSLR.

9.       Has a good assortment of sizes if the 15 is not needed.

Cons:

1.       The 15 isn’t small. It’s borderline backpack size.

2.       Needs more smaller pockets for pens and smaller items.

3.       Cost. $170 – but can be had for $140 I’ve seen.

The Tenba is my current bag. I need it for a few more weeks and a few more plane rides to know if I love it. I felt the backpack prevented me from “grabbing and going” out to shoot for fun, wheras the messenger is a bit more “take me with you everywhere” style.

To fix the number 2 con, I grabbed a tenba tools pouch:

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-636-214-Cable-Duo-Pouch/dp/B00KT7GVNE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1447960373&sr=8-12&keywords=tenba+tools

It fits in my bag next to the camera pouch very easily. I have all my chargers, cables, adaptors for my freaking macbook pro (because no, we don’t want to put Ethernet or vga on there).

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Personally I would say, if you can afford it, Thank Tank Photo CityWalker for a messenger bag, Shapeshifter or StreetWalker or even a Mindshift Gear or Tamrac/Gura Gear... Will last you longer than your camera.

Even Lowepro doesn't last as long.

Anyway, aside from my freakishly expensive recommendation above, look on eBay. You can get some very nice bags, some high end models for second hand prices.

But more importantly which ever bag you buy, if it uses YKK zippers you are set. The zippers may even last longer than the bag.

Why not buy a milspec messenger bag or backpack from a nearby military store and around an inch thick of foam padding with some really good adhesive? I do not know how much a milspec messenger bag is in the UK, but here in the Philippines, I went to a military store (sold directly from/by the very base that our soldiers are in, and some of the staff that sells them are soldiers themselves) and it cost me no more than $15 and could fit an M4 (short-er barrel version) with its upper receiver removed and stacked up to fit in the bag itself with the lower receiver, basically a fair lot of stuff in it.

I bought some foam padding (cushion padding), around an inch and a half thick, and some really good super glue (thats used by our cosplayers here for on-site repair, putting rubber sheets/foam together for props/armor/etc..., and could glue a door shut in seconds) to make the slots for my camera body, my two lenses, and an extra three slots for other lenses that I might want to add... which are still pretty much empty right now. So, that added the cost to around $30 for the foam and $5 for the glue on top of the $15 messenger bag. So, yeah, the bag costs around $65.

Note: You DO NOT glue the padding to the bag. Just form the shape and slots to fit your camera bodies/lenses at the orientation you want. Trust me, its just gonna get worse if you glue it to the insides of the bag. I should know, I've tried... And yeah... I did this on a messenger bag. On a backpack, it may depend on what it has inside.

I still have it and I still use it, and its turning 6 years old by the first quarter of 2016. No holes, no tear, looks slightly tattered, but still 100% functional and has protected my 7D MK1, Fuji XT10, a Canon 24-70 F2.8, a Fuji 35mm F1.4 and a 28mm F2.8, and the A7SII that has replaced those two bodies, along with an adapter and a pair of some vintage Minolta lenses that both have missing lens caps (the ones that are attached to the front element, not the mount), which is probably the best "poor man version" of me wanting a really good camera bag after overblowing my budget on my 7DMk1 back then.

I got mine with just "military" green, not camo, though.

But if the prices for mil spec bags in the UK are above USD$50 (convert that to your currency) that can barely fit only one lens and/or one MILC body... yeah, I'd look somewhere else if I were you.

Why not buy a milspec messenger bag or backpack from a nearby military store and around an inch thick of foam padding with some really good adhesive? I do not know how much a milspec messenger bag is in the UK, but here in the Philippines, I went to a military store (sold directly from/by the very base that our soldiers are in, and some of the staff that sells them are soldiers themselves) and it cost me no more than $15 and could fit an M4 (short-er barrel version) with its upper receiver removed and stacked up to fit in the bag itself with the lower receiver, basically a fair lot of stuff in it.

I bought some foam padding (cushion padding), around an inch and a half thick, and some really good super glue (thats used by our cosplayers here for on-site repair, putting rubber sheets/foam together for props/armor/etc..., and could glue a door shut in seconds) to make the slots for my camera body, my two lenses, and an extra three slots for other lenses that I might want to add... which are still pretty much empty right now. So, that added the cost to around $30 for the foam and $5 for the glue on top of the $15 messenger bag. So, yeah, the bag costs around $65.

Note: You DO NOT glue the padding to the bag. Just form the shape and slots to fit your camera bodies/lenses at the orientation you want. Trust me, its just gonna get worse if you glue it to the insides of the bag. I should know, I've tried... And yeah... I did this on a messenger bag. On a backpack, it may depend on what it has inside.

I still have it and I still use it, and its turning 6 years old by the first quarter of 2016. No holes, no tear, looks slightly tattered, but still 100% functional and has protected my 7D MK1, Fuji XT10, a Canon 24-70 F2.8, a Fuji 35mm F1.4 and a 28mm F2.8, and the A7SII that has replaced those two bodies, along with an adapter and a pair of some vintage Minolta lenses that both have missing lens caps (the ones that are attached to the front element, not the mount), which is probably the best "poor man version" of me wanting a really good camera bag after overblowing my budget on my 7DMk1 back then.

I got mine with just "military" green, not camo, though.

But if the prices for mil spec bags in the UK are above USD$50 (convert that to your currency) that can barely fit only one lens and/or one MILC body... yeah, I'd look somewhere else if I were you.

This is a good idea. You can also just get camera inserts if you dont wanna mess with cutting and gluing foam:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Camera+bag+insert&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACamera+bag+insert

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

This is a good idea. You can also just get camera inserts if you dont wanna mess with cutting and gluing foam:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Camera+bag+insert&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACamera+bag+insert

Yep, I totally agree with using camera inserts over using cushion padding/foam padding.