Debating switching fanboyism....

N3rot0xin

Ah, well then ignore my last lol. Also, i would cheap out ram, but I'm picky with my colors. It has to match, wish there was a decent blue-colored GPU. 

...and i like g.skill

Well you could always save up the difference so you don't need to buy cheaper RAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well, looks like im facing an upgrade. So I may as well go for broke here. (Literally.. ).

Heres what I'm looking at. The RAM is there just to hold the price point for now. Threw in a cooler, because my h60 isn't going to cut it with that CPU. I've got the space for a topmount 140, so im upgrading that as well. Going with a slightly higher wattage PSU, to handle overhead and overclocking as much as possible. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qDJdLk

good yes?

Asus gtx 980 is cheaper at jet.com with current 20% off promo 20NOW for new customers $438.99 with free shipping return waived or $449.99 with free return if any issues. don't have to hassle with rebate unless its manufacture rebate you can stack that and make it even cheaper.

MSI GTX 980 is $409.65 with free shipping return waived or $419.99.

Best deal is the Zotac reference GTX 980Ti for $535 but its sold out currently.

Well you could always save up the difference so you don't need to buy cheaper RAM.

I mean, i'll save an extra paycheck. But $65 isn't really a big deal. I have g.skill now, and have no problems at all. Plus i'll be selling off what i have now more then likely, which will recoup some of the cost. If I buy a case, i could literally sell my whole computer. 

I am whatever I am. 

I mean, i'll save an extra paycheck. But $65 isn't really a big deal. I have g.skill now, and have no problems at all. Plus i'll be selling off what i have now more then likely, which will recoup some of the cost. If I buy a case, i could literally sell my whole computer. 

The problem with selling the entire computer is that you get less for it than you would by selling the parts separately (though the CPU needs to be bundled with the motherboard if you want to get rid of either of them).

PMSL

The problem with selling the entire computer is that you get less for it than you would by selling the parts separately (though the CPU needs to be bundled with the motherboard if you want to get rid of either of them).

eh, not really a problem. Where i work, people are always buying/selling computer stuff. I could just give it my brother. Be an awesome good big brother. :D

I am whatever I am. 

Also, whats the cheapest K-sku i5? Id like to OC if possible eventually, but i dont want to break the budget

I am whatever I am. 

I wouldn't pickup a 980 tbh. Even the 980kpe got so much complaints, previous owners picked up a 980ti instead or dropped evga support all together.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

First I want to mention that the NVidia drivers are currently bugged in terms of multi monitor support under Windows 10 for three driver versions, now. In short, you can get it working with a few workarounds but it's a real hassle and if NVidia doesn't fix it I'd recommend an AMD card, at least if you use more than one monitor. Here is one of the threads on the NVidia forums which is about that issue (there are quite a few more, though): https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/896444/geforce-drivers/after-windows-10-update-the-nvidia-control-panel-stop-works-please-help/3/?offset=41#4732923

Since you asked specifically for PSUs I'd recommend a 600Watt PSU minimum but at least one with a bronze 80+ rating. I found this page which highlights all current GPUs and their minimum PSU requirements: https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

If you want specific models I'd say a Cooler Master G650M would be a good starting point with some decent headroom. Generally good brands are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, Fractal Design, middle to higher end Cooler Master Models and higher end models from EVGA. If you search for reviews the most important aspect of a PSU is the "ripple" rating which describes how evenly it distributes current to the components. A bad ripple rating means that it'll wear out your components faster and that it could cause instabilities. You also wanna make sure, of course that it has all the required connectors for your components, all the protection circuits and as mentioned above, at least an 80+ bronze rating.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Can't you bump up your budget a little and go for fury x?

if not, definitely go for 390. 980 is a waste. 

Also, whats the cheapest K-sku i5? Id like to OC if possible eventually, but i dont want to break the budget

Most games are not cpu intensive so overclocking a cpu might not do much, that being said, overclocking is somewhat a free boost in performance. So when you say "OC if possible eventually" what are the chances you will actually OC?

Most games are not cpu intensive so overclocking a cpu might not do much, that being said, overclocking is somewhat a free boost in performance. So when you say "OC if possible eventually" what are the chances you will actually OC?

With Haswell CPU, its a good idea to only overclock once they get too slow-since they already perform so well.

PMSL

The chances of me overclocking are pretty high, as I've overclocked since I had a "first gen" fx4100. A friend of mine has a couple of 980s in his rig. I'm going to see how my rig runs now as-is with one of those. If it does badly I'll pick an upgrade path. If it does good, i'll just keep my cpu for now until I can more comfortably afford an upgrade.

I am whatever I am. 

With Haswell CPU, its a good idea to only overclock once they get too slow-since they already perform so well.

I can't agree with this since the scaling is so good on them. I have my 390 at 1100MHz and it runs below 60c while gaming.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I can't agree with this since the scaling is so good on them. I have my 390 at 1100MHz and it runs below 60c while gaming.

Look, I want my rig to last a really long time just like the Pentium III 667 rig it replaced-so the 4790K is running at 3.5GHz while heavily undervolted until its too slow, at stock after that until its too slow again, then at 4.8GHz (its frequency wall) until its too slow again and I need to upgrade.

PMSL

Look, I want my rig to last a really long time just like the Pentium III 667 rig it replaced-so the 4790K is running at 3.5GHz while heavily undervolted until its too slow, at stock after that until its too slow again, then at 4.8GHz (its frequency wall) until its too slow again and I need to upgrade.

While I like the idea of a rig lasting a long time, I don't plan to make my rig last until the gap is as big as  Pentium and a 4790k. I just like overclocking. I don't go extreme, but I overclock none the less. So I'd like to get a K-series, but it would break the budget currently. Is there a decent, not waste of money K-sku under $300? Theres entirely too many intel cpus for me to really know whats going on.

I am whatever I am. 

Good luck with that. Haswells could last for 10 years, or be dead by 2017, who knows. I'm not giving up my 4690k without a fight though, and I overclocked it the second the liquid cooler hit the shell. Overclocking isn't to prolong the life span of anything, it's fucking fun :D

So kind of an update to this thread.. But I'm more or less looking at this build. Minus the power supply if my 500w could support the build.. in which case i'd be buying a different case. I think this looks pretty solid.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c43qt6

I am whatever I am. 

So kind of an update to this thread.. But I'm more or less looking at this build. Minus the power supply if my 500w could support the build.. in which case i'd be buying a different case. I think this looks pretty solid.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c43qt6

You don't want the option to run SLI? And that cheap motherboard "could" hurt your overclocking potential on that CPU.

You don't want the option to run SLI? And that cheap motherboard "could" hurt your overclocking potential on that CPU.

Wait.. crap.. I forgot I had that in there. I'm not getting that one. This was just the first revision of my build when I had a smaller budget. No, I wont be getting that one. I think im still getting an MSI board, but not that one.

I am whatever I am. 

Wait.. crap.. I forgot I had that in there. I'm not getting that one. This was just the first revision of my build when I had a smaller budget. No, I wont be getting that one. I think im still getting an MSI board, but not that one.

get an i5 and used the save cash for a R9 Fury and get 15-20% better performance

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

OK, good lol. That CPU would be a waste on that MOBO. The only benefit to a 4790k over a 4690k is heavy tasks, which that MOBO would neuter. At 1080p you won't find a difference between the 4690k and 4790k.

Have some free time today, looking at motherboards. I think this has been covered at some point.. but.. .

Im having a lot of trouble picking out a motherboard. Part of my problem is I'm really picky with my colors. Has to be blue/black.. that being said, I dont know whats too much when it comes to buying on. I figure, somewhere in the neighorhood of $80-$100 should be plenty for a motherboard. Doesn't have to be crazy, or support huge amounts of overclocking or anything like that. I wont be OCing a cpu that much anyways. Maybe a little bit, but nothing any decent motherboard cant handle. SLI/Crossfire support is a must(not not, but for future upgrades) but again i think any decent quality motherboard can do that just fine. Also, hows Asrock as a brand? I dont really hear much of anything about them. They look like they have some solid choices in my price poing (minus the board that has a 4pin molex in the middle of the board, and what looks like front pin headers in the same place on a different one). 

What are some good choices in that price point that dont go over the top with features i dont need, but still offer enough to be 'high end'?

I am whatever I am. 

Have some free time today, looking at motherboards. I think this has been covered at some point.. but.. .

Im having a lot of trouble picking out a motherboard. Part of my problem is I'm really picky with my colors. Has to be blue/black.. that being said, I dont know whats too much when it comes to buying on. I figure, somewhere in the neighorhood of $80-$100 should be plenty for a motherboard. Doesn't have to be crazy, or support huge amounts of overclocking or anything like that. I wont be OCing a cpu that much anyways. Maybe a little bit, but nothing any decent motherboard cant handle. SLI/Crossfire support is a must(not not, but for future upgrades) but again i think any decent quality motherboard can do that just fine. Also, hows Asrock as a brand? I dont really hear much of anything about them. They look like they have some solid choices in my price poing (minus the board that has a 4pin molex in the middle of the board, and what looks like front pin headers in the same place on a different one). 

What are some good choices in that price point that dont go over the top with features i dont need, but still offer enough to be 'high end'?

You're looking at a retail of 160us for the board you want, not including sales. Sorry, but if you go cheaper you're giving something up in return. I'd look for sales and worry less about aesthetics. Your GPU covers up most of the board anyway.

edit n/m, thread took a different turn 

Yep, no idea what we're talking about now. I think it's pancakes. Which reminds me.