Steam Machines - Are they worth it?

Not a single thing I disagree with in this review. He hit the nail on the head on every point made.

It looked dumb when it was announced, but now it looks like a really stupid product.

And what video card does it have? "NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ GPU with 2GB GDDR5"  Unknown then? 

I imagine it's not given a name because it's custom. If they gave it a name that relates to a desktop or mobile GPU, they just open themselves up to complaints when it doesn't perform. If they gave it a new name to distance it from those products, it would be meaningless to us just as much as no name is.

What is really frustrating is that some of this was working a few builds ago.  I have had a SteamOS machine since February 2014 and through all the ups and downs I have never been able to recommend it.  But some basic stuff like filtering for only SteamOS games was there before the most recent re-work of the Library UI.  And as for the store thing, it also used to be there but now is burried in the settings to "Show only games I can play" so if you turn off your windows machine it will filter the store for you... but apparently that means they think they can get rid of the manual filter that... again... used to be there.  

Again, I have never been able to recommend this OS, fun to play with, fine if you also have a windows machine and don't want to drop $100 on a windows license but the latest UI update to Big Picture broke a lot of the usability IMHO.

I still have hope that someday this will sort itself out and I won't have to buy another copy of windows.

I do not believe they are worth it, not for me anyway.  I cannot justify spending that amount of money on a product that is so limiting and non-upgradable.

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770k @ 3.50GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-K GPU: GTX 1060 Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB x2

Storage : Samsung 840 Evo 500gb SSD, Misc HDD's Monitors: BenQ GL2450 x2 Mouse: Razer Naga Epic OS: Win10

Laptop: ASUS - X555LA-DM1672T CPU: Intel Core i5 5200U Ram: 8GB Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 500gb SSD 1920x1080 OS: Windows 10/Ubuntu

Here's a decent steam machine.

Mtd6CMC.jpg

Still better than alienware's

PC Specs
CPU: i7 4790 | Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2H | RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB | GPU: GTX 1070 | Case: NZXT S340 | Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsung SSD 256GB | PSU: Corsair CS550M | Operating System: Windows 10

I was really hoping that Valve would pull this one out of the bag and release a really badass product that handed the consoles its ass. But this result was expected.

Big Picture mode still needs work; it feels clunky and unintuitive for the PC, Steam Link, and Steam Machine. 

I was also really hoping for performance from these machines as well.

Oh GabeN... Thou hath forsaken us. You know better.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Accurate, fair and informative video in a serious tone with no obnoxious like begging at the start. Great video!

The way I see it, the way for SteamOS or Linux gaming in general to really take off, is to start with "running games better than windows."

I would gladly switch to or dual boot a Linux if it meant my favorite games get an extra 5~10FPS,  even if it meant a lot of behind-the-scene tinkering and struggle.

As for the premade "Steam Machines".... they are just really overpriced prebuilts with SteamOS preinstalled. I find them pointless when they announced it, and I still do.