Nvidia Unveils Pascal Gpu: 16gb Of Memory, 1tb/s Bandwidth

Pugs501

At the Japanese edition of NVIDIA GTC (GPU Technology Conference), NVIDIA finally revealed details behind its 2016 graphics architecture, codenamed Pascal. The architecture was launched at the main GTC event, which took place in San Jose on March 17th, 2015 (watch Jen-Hsun Huang’s GTC keynote here). GTC Japan was hosted by Marc Hamilton.

As always, the Pascal GPU will be manufactured in Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), using the brand new 16nm FinFET process. This process is much more than a simple number, since it marks the shift from planar, 2D transistors to the FinFET i.e. 3D transistors. This shift required that the engineers make lot of changes in the thought process, and should result in significant power savings.

NVDA_Pascal_EngBoard.png

NVIDIA Pascal proof-of-concept Engineering Board with 4GB HBM memory. Retail products will carry 16GB of HBM2 memory.

But that is just the beginning, as Pascal will bring support for up to 32GB of HBM2 memory. However, the actual products based on Pascal will launch with 16GB HBM2 memory, and more memory will depend solely on memory vendors such as SK.Hynix and Samsung. What is changing the most is bandwidth. Both the Kepler-based Tesla (K40) and Maxwell-based M4/M40 featured 12GB of GDDR5 and achieved up to 288GB/s of memory bandwidth. Those 16GB HBM SDRAM (packed in four 4GB HBM2 chips) will bring 1TB/s in bandwidth, while internally the GPU surpasses the 2TB/s barrier.

NVIDIA’s Marc Hamilton said: “Using 3D memory, not only the memory capacity will go up, the memory bandwidth will go up significantly. With a much faster GPU, and higher memory bandwidth, the existing interconnects in the server are just plain outdated. So, we had to develop our own interconnect called NVLink, five times faster than existing technology.”

Pascal will also be available in multi-GPU packaging, replacing the Tesla K80 (NVIDIA skipped Maxwell-gen dual-GPU Tesla). Combined figures are very interesting to compare – 24GB GDDR5 and 480GB/s bandwidth should be replaced with 32GB HBM2 and 2TB/s bandwidth, mutually connected through NVLink rather than PCIe. The NVLink will enable up to 80GB/s, which should replace PLX PCIe Gen3 bridge chips that can only support 16GB/s (8GB/s per GPU). This part should be ‘warm up’ for 2018 and the Volta architecture.

NVDA_GTCJapan_Pascal.png

Pascal GPU architecture highlights: Higher performance through 16nm process and GPU Boost, stacked 2.5D / 3D memory, NVLink and mixed-mode calculation.

Unfortunately, the company did not disclose how much would ECC (Error Correcting Code) reduce the memory performance and overhead, but that is something all HBM-powered products will have to deal with. In any case, the company is gearing for a battle with Intel Xeon Phi, which in its recent incarnation is becoming quite the competitor. Still, Pascal is expected to deliver double-digit single-precision TFLOPS performance, and a lot of focus will be placed on so-called mixed-mode precision (INT8, FP16 and FP32).

Pascal is expected to hit the market during the first half of 2016.

Because he had a hard drive.

mutually connected through NVLink rather than PCIe. The NVLink will enable up to 80GB/s, which should replace PLX PCIe Gen3 bridge chips that can only support 16GB/s (8GB/s per GPU).

So is this an SLI bridge "upgrade" or am I reading it wrong.... So no more PCI-E ? :o

EDIT: Right so Nvlink is only for the supercomputer side of things, for Desktop it will still use PCI-E.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Aww yiss! Just take my money...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

So is this an SLI bridge "upgrade" or am I reading it wrong.

I was reading it wrong... So no more PCI-E ? :o

The author is confused. The only CPU-GPU NVLink interconnect is used solely on IBM's systems. The card will still attach via the PCIe bus. The GPU-GPU interconnect is 200GB/s, dwarfing SLI completely.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Im upgrading my GPU when pascal comes out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Im upgrading my GPU when pascal comes out.

Same bb <3 ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

c-c-c-can I have one???

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

The author is confused. The only CPU-GPU NVLink interconnect is used solely on IBM's systems. The card will still attach via the PCIe bus. The GPU-GPU interconnect is 200GB/s, dwarfing SLI completely.

After a bit of read that's the same conclusion I have come to. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The NVLink figure is incorrect. It's 200GB/s

What's their Sources?

Because he had a hard drive.

*Insert post about nvdia using one of AMD's best features and AMD using CUDA*

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Would still not buy because of horrible drivers.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Next GPU:  GTX 1070/80.

Faster than my 660 SLI :)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Imagine using 3 of these in the future :3

My wallet doesn't want me imagining that. Brb, need to wipe off all the drool from my face.

Potato

Would still not buy because of horrible drivers.

Who has better drivers?

AMD still does not.

Intel...  If you are able to use this then a GPU doesn't matter...

I'm curious.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

It sounds like a good thing.

I'll be trying to get Pascal for sure.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

its_beautiful.jpg?w=720

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+