5.1 Sound over S/PDIF

5.1 Sound, but over S/PDIF.

First of all my setup here.

• I use an old SONY STR-SL5 receiver. It only supports cinch, and optical. so HDMI is not an option.
  • Soundcard wise I use an Asus Xobar DGX. It supports 5.1 sound, and has an Optical out.
Now. In my research I found out, that S/PDIF doesn't support uncompressed 5.1 sound, but my PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3 manage to push out an 5.1 signal over S/PDIF. My guess is, that they use DTS Surround Sound.

I'd really like to be able to watch movies in 5.1 though, but when I connect my computer with it, I only get an 2.1 sound, with the SL, and SR speakers just playing the L and R channels.

How can I get this to work with my receiver? Does anyone know? Can I just force Windows to use DTS, or Dolby Digital Live? I am at the end of my expertise.

Thank You

in your realtek audio driver settings or windows sound settings do you have the option of setting the output to 5.1 surround?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

in your realtek audio driver settings or windows sound settings do you have the option of setting the output to 5.1 surround?

I don't really know where to set it, but I do get all six speakers to emit a sound, if I set it to Dolby Digital

Pic related: f2bfe08d38.png

I don't really know where to set it, but I do get all six speakers to emit a sound, if I set it to Dolby Digital

Pic related: 

do you have anything like this?

realtek51alc888.jpg

it should have the 5.1 option even if you use spdif instead of analog

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

do you have anything like this?

realtek51alc888.jpg

it should have the 5.1 option even if you use spdif instead of analog

I don't use a Realtek chip. I use a dedicated Sound Card.

I don't use a Realtek chip. I use a dedicated Sound Card.

oh

then maybe the sound card doesnt support it? did you try the other 5.1 formats?

Spoiler

https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DGX/

This is a 5.1 Soundcard

Also S/PDIF doesn't support 5.1. thats the thing. I need a workaround. Read my post.

spdif supports 5.1 or 7.1 with dts compression

you yourself said it worked with your console

does it not work when you set it to dts in PC?

Spoiler

spdif supports 5.1 or 7.1 with dts compression

you yourself said it worked with your console

does it not work when you set it to dts in PC?

I can'r, or don't know where. That's the issue.

I can'r, or don't know where. That's the issue.

that picture you posted earlier, you got that off google?

i thought you screenshot it?

Spoiler

that picture you posted earlier, you got that off google?

i thought you screenshot it?

No it's mine, but obviously, even with this set, it doesn't work

No it's mine, but obviously, even with this set, it doesn't work

aww

i have no idea then :(

sorry

Spoiler

from what i remember, optical plays ONLY the source so you cant add virtual surround or anything like that, i had this problem with one of my HTPC's with the same soundcard you have,. its impossible there is no work around, only if your source is DTS then it will play, there is no setting that you are looking for, you will need the source to be dts, sorry dude your SOL =( 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

1. Sound card in this case DOES NOT MATTER, only the fact that you have S/PDIF optical output
(In case of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD you need to use your GPU HDMI/DisplayPort or get sound card with HDMI)

2. In S/PDIF device options select both DTS Audio and Dolby Digital along with 44,1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz sample rates
(I used Sony STR-SL5 Manual for reference, link: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4243517112.pdf )

3. You need to set up your preferred video player (and its sound filter) on PC to pass the encoded DTS / Dolby Digital (AC-3) stream directly over the S/PDIF
Example setup for LAV Audio: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@api/deki/files/3376/=LAV_Audio_-_Settings.JPG
DTS-HD, etc. and Dolby TrueHD, etc. does not work over S/PDIF, you need HDMI/DisplayPort for that (but it "should" automatically use the supported formats for S/PDIF)

4. You might need to set up your Sony receiver to use digital audio source, aka. the S/PDIF (and usually you have to disable all sound-enhancing features like "movie mode")

That's about all when it comes to S/PDIF 5.1 movie playback, so I hope it works
(If you want all your PC audio to be 5.1 over S/PDIF, you need enocoder, which usually adds (significant) delay to audio and overall its problematic stuff not worth anyone's time)

Are you talking about movies or games?