Modmic 4.0 unidirectional vs omnidirectional and other questions.

thunderbuzzard

hey guys.
so my situation is as following, I currently own a denon ah-d5000 connected to asgard 2, but the past 5 months or so I have been using hyperX cloud I and the denons are safely tucked in the closet. I love the hyperX cloud mic quality and sound quality but a 80$ headset will never match a 700$ stereo headphones no matter how good they are.

I have been starting to do some podcasting and decided to go with Rode NT-USB and of course we all know if your getting a desktop mic then an arm boom mic holder is a must especially for podcasting, living where I am right now, I'll have to order it from amazon.com or amazon.co.uk using shop and ship aramex and paying 40$ in shipping and probably another 35 or 40$ for customs and taxes, add that to the cost of a good quality arm the the total cost will set me back at 280$ which is ALOT! for a mic setup.

and so I decided to give the modmic a shot, I know its not ideal for podcasting and productive work but I have heard its sound quality and its among the best mics in it's size that and with shipping and customs I'll probably end up paying 75 or 80$ maximum in total, until one of my relatives is coming to visit then I'll buy the rodes and have him bring it here with him, skipping shipping costs and customs. but at least until then I'll still be able to use my denons while gaming and doing podcasting. 
so my questions are:

1- I ordered the uni-directional but it's not too late to cancel it, I heard the omni picks up alot of ambient noise but at the same time sounds more open and natural, which is better overal in terms of sound quality for podcasting and all usage scenarios?

2- should I just wait until I get the Rode NT-USB down the road with the boom arm, and keep using the hyperX cloud until then which is already good?

any replies and responses are appreciated it.

u can simply use the poll if u don't want to add a reply. 

thanks 

Get the rode podcaster/procaster

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Get the rode podcaster/procaster

the podcaster is a relatively old product, and it still needs a boom arm, not to mention that compared to the NT-USB it sounds way worst, check out the comparison here https://youtu.be/t52Eh_wKErA, so if going the desktop route then NT-USB is my top choice, even if compared to the yeti -blue.

All my votes toward the podcaster

I have heard alot of comparisons between the podcaster and the NT-USB and in every sound I hear the NT-USB prevails everytime, I've done alot of research on this to know for sure if I'm getting a desktop mic then its the NT-USB over them all, since I'm also planning to do voice overs and karaokes with family. the podcaster is nice but the NT-USB quality blows it away in every comparison.   

I have heard alot of comparisons between the podcaster and the NT-USB and in every sound I hear the NT-USB prevails everytime, I've done alot of research on this to know for sure if I'm getting a desktop mic then its the NT-USB over them all, since I'm also planning to do voice overs and karaokes with family. the podcaster is nice but the NT-USB quality blows it away in every comparison.   

Here's the thing, though. Are you willing to deal with the problem of a condenser mic being so sensitive that it picks up a crap ton of background noise compared to a dynamic mic which is very unlikely to have the problem of a condenser mic?

Edit

There's also the procaster, which is pretty much a better version of the podcaster.

Here's the thing, though. Are you willing to deal with the problem of a condenser mic being so sensitive that it picks up a crap ton of background noise compared to a dynamic mic which is very unlikely to have the problem of a condenser mic?

Edit

There's also the procaster, which is pretty much a better version of the podcaster.

if its very close to your mouth, it won't pick up much noise since the gain will be so low at least thats what I read what the owners wrote when asked about it . and if I get it I'll most likely use it mostly for podcasting, commentaries and voice overs more than in gaming scenarios, thats why I added the option in the poll where I buy both, so that the NT-USB is for productive work and the modmic for everything else casual. 

if its very close to your mouth, it won't pick up much noise since the gain will be so low at least thats what I read what the owners wrote when asked about it . and if I get it I'll most likely use it mostly for podcasting, commentaries and voice overs more than in gaming scenarios, thats why I added the option in the poll where I buy both, so that the NT-USB is for productive work and the modmic for everything else casual. 

Well, if thats the case, then why not the Audio Technica ATR2100? Its quite popular for guys who are podcasting as well.

If you're really interested with the NT-USB, then by all means go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if thats the case, then why not the Audio Technica ATR2100? Its quite popular for guys who are podcasting as well.

If you're really interested with the NT-USB, then by all means go for it.

the thing is I really want to pay once for a studio quality mic. I want to use it for podcasting, songs covers, voice overs etc, I've watched many comparisons and the NT-USB wins over them everytime. in the price range, a video like this one https://youtu.be/nNxbhGdvZ58.

anyway I've actually went a head and ordered both, the modmic and the rode NT-USB. I sent them both to my relative in UK who would put them in 1 package with other stuff that my family ordered so shipping them here would be alot cheaper for me. .... I'm intending to use the modmic for teamspeak, viber, gaming etc and the rodes for voice overs, covers and podcasting, I'll most likely keep the hyperX around as backup or for my second setup. I'm starting to use my PC less and less for gaming and more for productive work and studying. I wish I was able to get more replies but thanks to all of u who replied to me or used the poll. I'll probably update this of my thoughts of how the mics are when I get them. with some samples of course.