Intel & AMD, Architectural Discussion, How Far Ahead Is Intel ?

Well guys I've been doing my own research & analysis of the performance of AMD & Intel CPUs for sometime, I did not do tests personally however I tried to salvage as much knowledge as possible to try and answer a question that has been on my mind, which is how far ahead is intel ? and that question lead to me to some very interesting realizations.

The discussion will be highly technical and might seem boring to some, but I wanted to gauge the interest of the community before I go on about writing what I had found out, because it's going to be quite long & do not wish to spend my time on something the community is not interested in.

So is anyone interested ?

Sure, I would love to read about this,

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It'd be great to see what you've pulled together - I'm definitely interested.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It's not that intel is ahead it's that amd has gone a different route to where amd cpu's can't be compared easily to intel cpu. Like the reason why amd cpu's haven't done well in games is usually they are games that are single core and thread games that have a heavy focus on fpu while new games that support the amd architecture like crysis 3 are based on more cores, more threads and alu. @Kuzma has a thread about the comparison of amd and intel cpus.

Indeed he does & it's very good, but he tried to simplify his thread as much as possible so that most people can understand it, however this thread will be quite technical.

well he didn't want to confuse people, but as a start to this thread it's good place to start.

Intel focuses on single core performance and uses hyper threading to get more multithreaded performance.

AMD is focuses on getting more multi core performance but misses out on single threaded performance.

I wanna see your write up.

Please post it.  I'd love to read it.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

It's not that intel is ahead it's that amd has gone a different route to where amd cpu's can't be compared easily to intel cpu. Like the reason why amd cpu's haven't done well in games is usually they are games that are single core and thread games that have a heavy focus on fpu while new games that support the amd architecture like crysis 3 are based on more cores, more threads and alu. @Kuzma has a thread about the comparison of amd and intel cpus.

Indeed he does & it's very good, but he tried to simplify his thread as much as possible so that most people can understand it, however this thread will be quite technical.

Well :p I could always edit the main post into containing a more technical section but to be honest :/ I could probably right a blog article 3 pages long on this and a forum really isn't the right place to put something like this.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Well :P I could always edit the main post into containing a more technical section but to be honest :/ I could probably right a blog article 3 pages long on this and a forum really isn't the right place to put something like this.

tbh I don't see why not it will turn some people off, but some people will read it and like it.

tbh I don't see why not it will turn some people off, but some people will read it and like it.

xD it will probably be double the length of the rest of the thread combined but I could always do it.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Well guys I've been doing my own research & analysis of the performance of AMD & Intel CPUs for sometime, I did not do tests personally however I tried to salvage as much knowledge as possible to try and answer a question that has been on my mind, which is how far ahead is intel ? and that question lead to me to some very interesting realizations.

The discussion will be highly technical and might seem boring to some, but I wanted to gauge the interest of the community before I go on about writing what I had found out, because it's going to be quite long & do not wish to spend my time on something the community is not interested in.

So is anyone interested ?

I am very interested.

Please use spoilers and format the entire post however. I am weak to Walls of Text. They crit me all the time too. 8x damage sucks when you are a Lazy Type Human.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I am very interested.

Please use spoilers and format the entire post however. I am weak to Walls of Text. They crit me all the time too. 8x damage sucks when you are a Lazy Type Human.

Well, if I was to do mine... it'd be a wall of text so I might just leave it :p

Woo, yes bring them info plz!!

More seriuosly, I would really like to see really how much is AMD behind in total IPC, also I think you may have insight on the whole FX module and not core thing, if you do, that would be even more awesome

Read my threads, there's loads of information there for you ^_^

post it. i have so much to learn.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

AMD has not really put their plan in action yet... Their CPUs are strong in integer but weaker in floating point because they only have 1 FPU per pair of cores... but their intention is to offload that sort of calculation to a GPU which is far, far better than even the most powerful CPU at floating point operations (this is Heterogeneous System Architecture, or HSA).  And this is where APUs come in, with their advanced onboard GPU.  You can see they are pushing the FM2 platform now, since AM3+ doesn't have integrated graphics, and there are rumors of AM3+ being abandoned completely.  A future FX-level APU with an onboard GPU will blaze through FLOps, and in theory their performance should improve in huge strides, especially if you have a dedicated GPU for the graphics work, and the integrated GPU in the APU can be dedicated to accelerating the CPU's floating point calculations.

I'd like to see what your research says, this is how science works after all.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

AMD has not really put their plan in action yet... Their CPUs are strong in integer but weaker in floating point because they only have 1 FPU per pair of cores... but their intention is to offload that sort of calculation to a GPU which is far, far better than even the most powerful CPU at floating point operations (this is Heterogeneous System Architecture, or HSA).  And this is where APUs come in, with their advanced onboard GPU.  You can see they are pushing the FM2 platform now, since AM3+ doesn't have integrated graphics, and there are rumors of AM3+ being abandoned completely.  A future FX-level APU with an onboard GPU will blaze through FLOps, and in theory their performance should improve in huge strides, especially if you have a dedicated GPU for the graphics work, and the integrated GPU in the APU can be dedicated to accelerating the CPU's floating point calculations.

Great point Glenwing ^_^ , I can forsee some kind of FX-APU hybrid with most of the actual power for gaming being not so good to allow for more of the die space for compute.

Great point Glenwing ^_^ , I can forsee some kind of FX-APU hybrid with most of the actual power for gaming being not so good to allow for more of the die space for compute.

Games are pretty heavy on floating point calculations, so if AMD can hold off Intel long enough to pull this off... it should be a good show.

Games are pretty heavy on floating point calculations, so if AMD can hold off Intel long enough to pull this off... it should be a good show.

I will quote myself here

The second coming of Athlon

You're missing the whole point. Intel ain't ahead, it's just AMD lagging behind.

They thought of modules? wow, great. They are slower than Intel counterparts... Why not just make Phenom III? I'll tell you why. Save die space for APUs.

Except they are too confident about APU performance - APUs will never catch up to regular dedicated GPUs. And as of today APUs are useless and overpriced (price to performance is really really bad, 50 bucks more you got a dedicated GPU + 4 core CPU).

And to make it clear, you're kinda talking about 8 core 4 module processors like they are something new... Intel can throw more cores at the problem at any time, they got processors with lots of cores for years now... They just dont feel like putting them in regular consumer price range.

Look up Intel Xeons, look up Intel Phi.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU