Ducky Shine 5 Review

This is my first review so give me some slack. 

I finally received the Ducky Shine 5 RGB in the mail today after over a month of waiting  :D

I chose the 5 over the others because the price was pretty much the same ($165 USD)

Due to new forum format, post had been split into multiple spoilers, click arrow(s) below

Spoiler

c6X9yac.jpg

dGHMvIX.jpg

I went with the MX Browns because I am a gamer and I type a lot. I prefer browns over reds because I feel that with reds I can't tell if the key is pressed or not which messes me up. I would have rather of gotten the blues but that would annoy everyone around me. 

The accessories it came with were the detachable usb cable (sadly it's not braided), the keycap puller, a menu key, and an extra spacebar with a goat on it (Year of the Goat). I've read that the plastic key puller like the one Ducky has can scratch the keys so I will be getting a metal prong one to replace it. 

WJ8oPtT.jpg

Spoiler

And then there's the keyboard itself. It features a brushed aluminum look (it's plastic). The keycaps have a grainy texture, more grainy then previous Ducky keyboards as far as I can tell. And the build quality is pretty solid, similar to the Shine 4. However compared to the Shine 3, I would say the Shine 3 has a more solid plastic feel. You have your standard key arrangement, and dedicated volume keys in the top right as a nice added bonus. As for the font they chose, well, I have no idea what it is. I've never seen it before but I like it a lot. One thing that they should have done would be to make the current windows keys not have the windows icon as not everyone will be using windows. 

mX8usE2.jpg

Spoiler

Xw91ZAA.jpg

Spoiler

fbKtKsv.jpg

Spoiler

GMhzx1U.jpg

Spoiler

One of my favorite parts about this keyboard is the elevated stand. It's a soft plastic stub that you screw on to the bottom (It comes already installed) instead of a pop out flip one. This helps with keeping the keyboard from moving around and there is no chance of it closing up on you.  

EOIiHbH.jpg

Spoiler

In the dark, the colors stand out very well. The blending modes included are; Color Cycle mode, Wave Mode, Snake Marquee Mode, Raindrop Mode, Reactive Mode, Ripple Mode, Aurora Mode, and of course no mode (all turned off). You create the colors either using a palette select or inputting how much of Red, Green, Blue you want. One thing I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a brightness setting that effects all of the lights at once. (As far as I can tell, If I wanted to change the brightness of my current keys I would have to remake the color and just use less of the colors I used to make that color (tap red once makes a dark red, tap it more and it gets brighter))

GarJYxy.jpg

8b0IJTq.jpg

I'm very happy with my purchase and it's a big step up from my Logitech G105 membrane. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

looks great. can't wait to get my mx blue shine 5 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

nice - just got mine the other day. went with mx browns as well. love it.

the goat bar looks really nice when lit up. recommend checking it out once you get the puller.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

the goat bar looks really nice when lit up. recommend checking it out once you get the puller.

I have a shine 5 YOTG and imo the goat spacebar is meh at best. Sure it looks cool but I really hate how they cut the channel for light to come through but didn't smooth the edges. While it's not enough to cut you, it's can be quite irritating on your thumb. Also not to mention that the lighting isn't very even on it, the top half is basically dark on mine and looks kind of half-assed when compared to the rest of the keyboard

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

I have a shine 5 YOTG and imo the goat spacebar is meh at best. Sure it looks cool but I really hate how they cut the channel for light to come through but didn't smooth the edges. While it's not enough to cut you, it's can be quite irritating on your thumb. Also not to mention that the lighting isn't very even on it, the top half is basically dark on mine and looks kind of half-assed when compared to the rest of the keyboard

mine looks and feels great on the black version. 

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

mine looks and feels great on the black version. 

It's going good here too. I do notice that the LED's under the spacebar can shine in your eyes if you're at the right angle which I am a bit often. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

where did you order it? On Mechanicalkeyboards it's still pre order. 

I used to be quite active here.

where did you order it? On Mechanicalkeyboards it's still pre order. 

From Mechanicalkeyboards. I thought it was off of pre order by now. 

Gorgeous.  I can't wait for a Shine 5 TKL.  Dying to try the Nature White switches.

From Mechanicalkeyboards. I thought it was off of pre order by now. 

Oh.. I guess they're just out of stock for a FEW MONTHS then. Damn, why can't Ducky just make tons of keyboards? 

I used to be quite active here.

I just hope ducky don't screw me from using my snake bar. I have 3 of the lying around :/

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Are the RGB color programmable on this keyboard, I don't recall seeing any info.  (I was just skimming so may have missed it) Also would this be a good alternative to like the K70? 

Are the RGB color programmable on this keyboard, I don't recall seeing any info.  (I was just skimming so may have missed it) Also would this be a good alternative to like the K70? 

Yes, you can program each key's color and brightness.