Looking to get a 27" monitor for my new desktop setup

Mumps
Go to solution Solved by Arich Manas,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Monitors%20-%20LCD%20Flat%20Panel-_-ASUS-_-24236294&gclid=CK_2-5STj7kCFUOd4AodAmgAYA&gclid=CK_2-5STj7kCFUOd4AodAmgAYA

Additionally, I am currently using an Asus PB278Q and I can honestly say it may be one of the sexiest things I have ever seen in my life (...less meaning coming from a mostly nerd community... oh well, roll with it!)  If you can stretch to get one, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

I previously had a VE278Q (or whichever did not have the built in camera since other than that they are the same monitor); well I still have it as a secondary/tertiary...  I can tell you from personal experience that it is a solid display, but it is one of those things where you don't know what you are missing until you see something better. Once you go PLS 1440p, you can never go back, so choose wisely ;)

Regards

Arich

Good day everyone,

I am currently building a desktop, and would like some advice on monitors. I have been using laptops for so long that I haven't shopped for a monitor in over 10 years!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 27" monitor? My price range is $400 max (before tax and shipping of course). I've been a fan of ASUS for a while, and their monitors, so far, seem to be the best.

I will be using this computer mostly for TV/Movies, with some gaming. I'm not too much of a gamer, but I do enjoy a fair share of games. The ASUS monitors I have been eyeing so far are the MX279H, VE278Q & VS278Q-P. I'm not limited to ASUS though.

Thanks!

(Pixel perfect) X-Star DP2710

Get it directly from Korea from eBay

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

(Pixel perfect) X-Star DP2710

definitely agree please don't get a 1080p 27inch display the ppi is quite bad a 2560x1440 like the xstar would be much better 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

For 400 get one of the US OCd korean panels, Monoprice has a decent one.

Well, 1080P is all I need. I only want to buy one online if it's my last option, I'd rather just walk into a store and buy one. I'm not willing to deal with the hassle and possible brokerage fees of ordering overseas with an expensive display. If I do buy anything online, I want it to ship from Canada.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/LCDMonitors This site has a good range of what is locally available to me. They don't have the best prices, but they price beat on all Canadian online stores, so I can do the research to get the best price.

Well, 1080P is all I need.

Are you sure? 1440p is much better than 1080p, especially on a 27" monitor...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

MX279H seems to be a good option IMO

it looks so sleek

but again, I would recommend a 2560x1440 27" monitor

the color is just too good, am using a QNIX myself and its been nothing but great for the price (300$ shipped)

Those cheap korean monitors have really good reviews and I'm pretty sure they have a pixel perfect guarantee if you go 1080p please go 24inch or less 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Well, 1080P is all I need. I only want to buy one online if it's my last option, I'd rather just walk into a store and buy one. I'm not willing to deal with the hassle and possible brokerage fees of ordering overseas with an expensive display. If I do buy anything online, I want it to ship from Canada.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/LCDMonitors This site has a good range of what is locally available to me. They don't have the best prices, but they price beat on all Canadian online stores, so I can do the research to get the best price.

Not really. Once you start to go to larger 27" sized monitors, 1080P will start to look pixelated as you sit a lot closer to a monitor compared to a TV. If you have ever seen the 27" imac's, they use the 1440p screen. That's what makes them look so nice. A 1080p screen will make all the icons look a lot larger and won't have a nice crisp image to it. I think I uploaded some images a while back that show the difference. I will see if I can find them.

Edit:

This is essentially the difference. I took a print screen of my monitor set in both 1440p and 1080p and then re-sized the 1080p imaged (right hand image) in paint to match the 1440p image.

1440vs1080_zpsfea508fe.png

It might not look like much but it will make the difference for working with multiple documents (overall productivity) if you don't have a multiple monitor setup. One thing to note is that some text can be quite small so if you have bad eye sight then you might not want a 1440p screen.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

get a ebay 27in. They have been selling them for a while now.

If you can go for $500 you can get a PB278Q. I would recommend going with that if you don't want to do the Korean 1440p displays. (That's my personal preference)

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I recommend the Qnix QX2710. It has the best out of the box colours than any of the other 27" Korean monitors and some other monitors from various manufacturers such as ASUS or Samsung.. In terms of ghosting it is about the same as the S27A850D and the PB278Q's Trace Free 20 Setting. It is also free from over shoot. But it is not as fast as the ViewSonic VP2770-LED nor the Crossover 2720MDP in terms of ghosting.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

If you can go for $500 you can get a PB278Q. I would recommend going with that if you don't want to do the Korean 1440p displays. (That's my personal preference)

$500 would be a stretch, but it would definitely be the MAXIMUM I could spend. However, this monitor is $600 at the cheapest (that I can find) in Canada... :(

EDIT: I should also mention, it is my plan to use two monitors at some point. Right now I will buy one, and then buy a 2nd of the same one before Christmas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Monitors%20-%20LCD%20Flat%20Panel-_-ASUS-_-24236294&gclid=CK_2-5STj7kCFUOd4AodAmgAYA&gclid=CK_2-5STj7kCFUOd4AodAmgAYA

Additionally, I am currently using an Asus PB278Q and I can honestly say it may be one of the sexiest things I have ever seen in my life (...less meaning coming from a mostly nerd community... oh well, roll with it!)  If you can stretch to get one, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

I previously had a VE278Q (or whichever did not have the built in camera since other than that they are the same monitor); well I still have it as a secondary/tertiary...  I can tell you from personal experience that it is a solid display, but it is one of those things where you don't know what you are missing until you see something better. Once you go PLS 1440p, you can never go back, so choose wisely ;)

Regards

Arich

I'm about to buy a 27" LG monitor.. I am going to have a GTX 760 in my system so I don't want to have a higher resolution than 1920 x 1080 (For good FPS in games). So please tell me your opinion: should I buy a 24" monitor with a same resolution or should I buy this 27" inch monitor, does It look THAT bad or is it ok (the ppi is it ok or really bad)?

And the monitor I'm probably going to buy is: 27", IPS, 5ms, TV, 1920 x 1080, http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27MA43D

Oh and I can get It for a really good price.. Around 280 EUR or about 370 USD

Thanks for any help!

I'm about to buy a 27" LG monitor.. I am going to have a GTX 760 in my system so I don't want to have a higher resolution than 1920 x 1080 (For good FPS in games). So please tell me your opinion: should I buy a 24" monitor with a same resolution or should I buy this 27" inch monitor, does It look THAT bad or is it ok (the ppi is it ok or really bad)?

And the monitor I'm probably going to buy is: 27", IPS, 5ms, TV, 1920 x 1080, http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27MA43D

Oh and I can get It for a really good price.. Around 280 EUR or about 370 USD

Thanks for any help!

if your going 1080p go 23in or go 1200p and 24in and yes it makes a big difference.