Cheap Speakers

sakoki

Hello, I've just recently gotten an own apartment and thus find myself in need of speakers (until now I've only used headphones or cheap PC speakers). Unfortunately, I not only know absolutely nothing about speakers, but my budget is also very limited. If at all possible, I'd like to spend no more than around 100€, which, I do realize, is way too little for a good setup. Anyway, I've looked around a bit, and found that old Bang & Olufsen speakers (60s - 80s) are being sold very cheap (at around 60 - 150€ for a pair of speakers).

Would I be able to connect those to a PC, what would I need in order to do so, and would it be worth it? If not, what would be a good alternative? Please note that I could save up a little more money if absolutely necessary, but would much rather not have to do so. I mostly listen to older Jazz (50s - 70s, which is why I feel like the B&O speakers might be perfect for me), but it would be nice if the speakers had decent enough bass to play some EDM when I'm hosting a party.

If you're going to buy some conventional hifi speakers, do you already own an amplifier and the require cabling to use them with your PC?

If you're going to buy some conventional hifi speakers, do you already own an amplifier and the require cabling to use them with your PC?

No, nothing at all.

can you find Klipsch Promedia 2.1s ? They sound really good and sometimes a good used set can be in that neighborhood. They have an awesome soundstage and great clarity. The midbass is good too.

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

I'm not really looking for computer speakers (Though I don't know what the actual difference between "regular" speakers and computer speakers is. It just seems like the bigger speakers would be better somehow xD)...

I'm not really looking for computer speakers (Though I don't know what the actual difference between "regular" speakers and computer speakers is. It just seems like the bigger speakers would be better somehow xD)...

You'd think so, but if you can find a place that has them hooked up give them a listen. They made my teenaged sons ask for them to be turned down. They should be loud enough for a party and EDM. I own them so I am not just picking them at random, they are really good for the price.

Then you would need to buy an amplifier to power the speakers.

Just get a set of 2.1 PC speakers if you want a solution now and only want to spend between $80-$100.

Then you would need to buy an amplifier to power the speakers.

Just get a set of 2.1 PC speakers if you want a solution now and only want to spend between $80-$100.

I take it an amplifier would be fairly expensive?

No, not at all. But you'd need to spend more than $80 if you want to get both an amp and a pair of speakers.

No, not at all. But you'd need to spend more than $80 if you want to get both an amp and a pair of speakers.

Would it be worth it?

I have a pair of these.  When they're working, they sound OK.  I've had to have one satellite, the "pod", and the amplifier replaced.  There are forums full of issues with these speakers.

Unless one can get a stupidly cheap deal on them, they should be avoided in my opinion.  It seems they just don't make 2.1 computer speakers like they used to (I miss my Altec Lansing ADA890's)... :(

can you find Klipsch Promedia 2.1s ? They sound really good and sometimes a good used set can be in that neighborhood. They have an awesome soundstage and great clarity. The midbass is good too.

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

I've read through this thread now and have a couple observations...

1) Unless your apartment doesn't have the possibility for neighbors, *do not* go this route.  The second you turn the sound up enough to be enjoyable, you'll get no end of complaints.

2) If this is for TV watching, and the speakers on your TV aren't working / loud enough, look into sound bars (without a subwoofer).  

3) You mentioned you don't know the difference between computer speakers and home theater speakers.  Computer speakers generally have an amplifier built in -- home theater speakers generally do not.  

I guess the TL;DR version is, if you only have 100€, hold onto it.  Grow it a bit.  Once you have a few hundred, *then* decide what you want to do.  Just realize that, unless the apartment you have is ridiculously sound-proofed, anything that isn't headphones will eventually piss off one of your neighbors...

Hello, I've just recently gotten an own apartment and thus find myself in need of speakers (until now I've only used headphones or cheap PC speakers). Unfortunately, I not only know absolutely nothing about speakers, but my budget is also very limited. If at all possible, I'd like to spend no more than around 100€, which, I do realize, is way too little for a good setup. Anyway, I've looked around a bit, and found that old Bang & Olufsen speakers (60s - 80s) are being sold very cheap (at around 60 - 150€ for a pair of speakers).

Would I be able to connect those to a PC, what would I need in order to do so, and would it be worth it? If not, what would be a good alternative? Please note that I could save up a little more money if absolutely necessary, but would much rather not have to do so. I mostly listen to older Jazz (50s - 70s, which is why I feel like the B&O speakers might be perfect for me), but it would be nice if the speakers had decent enough bass to play some EDM when I'm hosting a party.

I have a pair of these.  When they're working, they sound OK.  I've had to have one satellite, the "pod", and the amplifier replaced.  There are forums full of issues with these speakers.

Unless one can get a stupidly cheap deal on them, they should be avoided in my opinion.  It seems they just don't make 2.1 computer speakers like they used to (I miss my Altec Lansing ADA890's)... :(

I haven't had any problems since 2013 when I got mine used, There was at least one revision of them afaik and maybe one is better than the other ?

I'm not saying it's impossible to get a pair that will work properly -- just that there are enough forum posts with issues (usually just with the 'pod') that, in my opinion, unless you can get a *really* good deal on them, they should be avoided.  :)

I haven't had any problems since 2013 when I got mine used, There was at least one revision of them afaik and maybe one is better than the other ?