Corsair 350D case mod - Top fan grill

Hey guys. I'm currently working on a build inside the Corsair 350D (still have sleeving, lighting & cable management to do) but I don't want to post an actual build log pictures until it's all finished. Anyway, I did a little "mod" to the top of the case. This will be mainly appreciated by people who don't use a top mounted fan/radiator (I'm currently using an air cooler but might switch it out later on). This "mod" will prevent any dust getting in. I've seen some people putting plastic shroud on top of the case, using mesh etc. but I didn't quite like to look. I decided to go ahead and use a simple solution, which is cardboard. I found a box which was made out of very strong cardboard and cut it to size. Then I pierced small holes and put screws through it. Since the cardboard was strong the screws stay in and let me take them in and out without any problems. Once all of that was done, I used Matte Black vinyl wrap which I got on Ebay and wrapped the cardboard to make it look good. Check out the pictures to see whether you like it or not :) 

I'll be posting some videos about the entire PC soon.

post-6741-0-22013300-1377008585.jpg

post-6741-0-70012200-1377008638.jpg

post-6741-0-84756500-1377008683.jpg

post-6741-0-09989700-1377008720.jpg

If you look at one of the inside shots you can see that the mounting mechanism of the Xigmatek Dark Knight is also wrapped in the same vinyl to make it look better and fit into my blue/black theme. 

Edited by airdeano
External Weblink Edit

Case: Corsair 350D | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M | Ram: Patriot Viper Extreme 16GB 1866MHz | CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K | CPUC: Corsair H60 2013 | PSU: Antec TP-750 | SSD: Kingston Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | GPU: Sapphire HD7950 | Monitor: Asus PB279Q (4K) | Keyboard: Gigabyte Osmium Aivia - Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech Performance MX

If you didn't say it was cardboard or post the first two pictures I wouldn't have even noticed you modded it looks really clean 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Nice! But did the vinyl wrap jack up this simple mod's cost by alot? They aren't cheap iirc

Nice! But did the vinyl wrap jack up this simple mod's cost by alot? They aren't cheap iirc

I actually used leftovers from when I wrapped my monitor stand but it's not that expensive. I bought 150cm x 30cm on Ebay for $13. It wasn't that cheap Chinese shit either. It was a high quality 3M bubble free wrap and it really did apply with ease. 

Case: Corsair 350D | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M | Ram: Patriot Viper Extreme 16GB 1866MHz | CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K | CPUC: Corsair H60 2013 | PSU: Antec TP-750 | SSD: Kingston Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | GPU: Sapphire HD7950 | Monitor: Asus PB279Q (4K) | Keyboard: Gigabyte Osmium Aivia - Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech Performance MX

You can actually see that I wrapped the heat-sink mounting mechanism in the same vinyl. I didn't quite like the all silver when my build is black/blue themed. 

You can actually see that I wrapped the heat-sink mounting mechanism in the same vinyl. I didn't quite like the all silver when my build is black/blue themed. 

Oh wow didn't notice, nice! I might buy some for my next build, it looks really smooth

nice simpe mod dude

Thanks man. More mods are coming but you will see those once I post a full build log when it's all finished. Hopefully I can get into Linus's WanShow so that I can generate more traffic towards my sponsor (which is supplying all the sleeving etc.) Axon.Modding. You can check him out at www.axonmodding.com 

Nicely done but why not have fans? Are you going for silence?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Why not use top grill for exhaust?

Lots of dust?

If you have lots of dust make sure to check the bottom fans and filters at the bottom, that's where the most dust gets sucked up through(if dust is the case).

The Syndicate

Nicely done but why not have fans? Are you going for silence?

I am definitely keeping this build on the silent side rather than pure performance and best cooling. 

Why not use top grill for exhaust?

Lots of dust?

If you have lots of dust make sure to check the bottom fans and filters at the bottom, that's where the most dust gets sucked up through(if dust is the case).

I do have to deal with quite a bit of dust here. I use 2 x Corsair AF120's in the front as an intake (so they are filtered) with my SSD and HDD stuck to the back of the mobo tray with velcro (Linus Style :D) so no HDD cage, PSU is fan side down and then a single SP120 on my heatsink and one as an exhaust. This means I have more intakes than exhaust so it shouldn't be sucking in too much dust. Also, heatsink might be change to a Corsair H60 as there is one for sale locally for a great price. The only reason I'd buy it though, is for the aesthetic reasons. 

Nice little mod u've done here, i've been wanting to do something like this for my Corsair 200R case (my house is really dusty too) but didn't really know what to use untill seeing this, and you have given me an idea, I have a piece of clear acrylic (smoked acrylic might go better but all i have is clear) lying around some where that i can cut to fit, hopefully it will turn out alright.

Nice little mod u've done here, i've been wanting to do something like this for my Corsair 200R case (my house is really dusty too) but didn't really know what to use untill seeing this, and you have given me an idea, I have a piece of clear acrylic (smoked acrylic might go better but all i have is clear) lying around some where that i can cut to fit, hopefully it will turn out alright.

I was thinking about using Acrylic as well but since I am keeping the cost down as much as I can, I decided to use whatever I had laying around :)

so you just screwed some holes into some cardboard wrapped in vinyl...? 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

so you just screwed some holes into some cardboard wrapped in vinyl...? 

Yeah, it's really cheap and easy, but the outcome is pretty damn good :)