Will the current consoles(PS4&Xbone) really live 8 years?

As the title says.

the PS3 and Xbox 360 did a great job in terms of Graphics,

but as the new consoles arrived, you could feel the age. My PS3 was lagging some in the new dragonball Xenoverse, or whatever it's called lol. Not sure what Graphics or resolution it was even running at.

Sources say that the PS4 has a GPU comparing pretty well to radeon HD 7850. Will that really last out 8 years?

- Won't 4K become the "standard" and relatively cheaply available, just as 1080p screens are today, before 8 years?

So far they're handling the new games pretty well. And I know there will be optimization. But how far could it really go?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

You can't really compare them to PCs since they can optimize games soo well for the hardware that will be running them.

Sony and Microsoft are not stupid, of course they will last 8 years.

something tells me they'll be dragged there kicking and screaming by console exclusive titles. they'll make it, but probably not as easily as previously.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Will they last? Of course. People still play SNES. It just depends on whether they still make games for them, and that we cannot possibly know.

You can't really compare them to PCs since they can optimize games soo well for the hardware that will be running them.

Actually both companies have already stated that there will be a much shorter window between new console releases this time.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I sure hope not. The PS3/X360 were packing some serious hardware when they were released, and they were barely hanging on when the "next gens" got released. The jokes of the current gens though, it will be amazing if they last 3 years(from today). Unless if DX12 or GLNext(Vulkan) can sprinkle some magic on their AMD APU goodness(that's better than the current proprietary API's), I just don't see them aging as well.

One could argue they're already outdated. If they really want to they'll still manage to have games running on them in 8 years, they'll just look like crap and run at sub hd resolutions at 30fps.

Just buy a scrapyard wars thrift machine 9000 with an r9 290 in it and it will hold up better than either console.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They need to focus on what they can do with peripherals in terms of motion sensing and virtual reality in the current gen, which will help determine the consoles longevity in this day and age.

The current gen consoles are potatos.

The PS2 and PS3 were good (Performance wise when they were released), the PS4 is shit!

I hope not. But as long people get blindet by ridoculous exclusives.....

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I think 6 years is more realistic. The ps4 is more powerful by a bit compare to the xbone so i think it will last longer.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

As much as the enthusiast PC gaming crowd might not like it I think the console generations are going to continue to lengthen. Because frankly newer hardware increasingly offers diminishing returns. The jump to 4K will be the next jump for consoles but I think it'll be a while before it's cheap enough to do 4K that it'll be worth it for them. Frankly as someone who's also a Nintendo fan I'd rather they just make better use of the hardware that already exists rather than talking about another upgrade cycle.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

As much as the enthusiast PC gaming crowd might not like it I think the console generations are going to continue to lengthen. Because frankly newer hardware increasingly offers diminishing returns. The jump to 4K will be the next jump for consoles but I think it'll be a while before it's cheap enough to do 4K that it'll be worth it for them. Frankly as someone who's also a Nintendo fan I'd rather they just make better use of the hardware that already exists rather than talking about another upgrade cycle.

This kind of makes sense. The jump to 4K could be when it's as cheap as 1080p systems are now. But Wonder when that is. I just don't think that we have to wait 8 years before that happens.

I can already buy a 40" 4K LCD TV for 5000DKK here. Almost same cost as a normal TV. As long as they're not curved.

https://fona.dk/philips-flat-tv-40pus6809-0600450790?utm_source=pricerunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricerunner

• 40" Ultra HD LED TV med 3D
  • Ultra HD (3840x2160)
  • Pixel Plus og Micro Dimming Pro
  • 400Hz PMR og Natural Motion giver øget skarphed
  • Smart TV
  • Indbygget DLNA, WiFi og PVR funktion
  • Kan indgå som server TV i din hjemmeopsætning
  • 4 HDMI og 2 USB indgange inkl. 2 Aktive 3D briller
  • DVB-T2/C/S2 MPEG4 tuner til egen antenne
  • Effektforbrug 45W - Årligt 66Kwh - Energiklasse A+

I know it's Danish, but you Guys will understand.

4500 DKK ~660USD 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Not to be outdone by a new console, the competition will also release one at near the same time, to steal back some potential lost thunder.

ie: New Xbox = New Playstation, because.....companies do not wanna be outdone.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not to be outdone by a new console, the competition will also release one at near the same time, to steal back some potential lost thunder.

ie: New Xbox = New Playstation, because.....companies do not wanna be outdone.

except Nintendo, who's off doing their own thing.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

This kind of makes sense. The jump to 4K could be when it's as cheap as 1080p systems are now. But Wonder when that is. I just don't think that we have to wait 8 years before that happens.

I can already buy a 40" 4K LCD TV for 5000DKK here. Almost same cost as a normal TV. As long as they're not curved.

There's a difference between the availability of high resolution screens and the ability for cheap hardware that can drive it. As we saw with the 360 and PS3 and the rapid adoption of full 1080p TVs when they were barely ready for 720p. So regardless of how quickly 4K becomes mainstream I think we'll be very close to that "8 year" mark before 4K capable hardware is mainstream. Or at least cheap enough that they can sell it with a small profit at a price people will be willing to pay.

With that said, I just looked at a list of GPU release dates and their GFLOPs and did some basic back of the envelope calculations. Then made the assumption that a 970 spec GPU is "good enough" for 4K. Based on that rough estimate? The year I came up with was 2018 before it's cheap enough to be sold in the way the PS4 is being sold.

Once you kill off MSAA and use Post-Processing AA, the GTX970 equivalent should do 4K Medium-High details just fine. (Possibly still not anywhere near 50-60fps) More like a constant 30fps again, or low fidelity 60fps.

The 970m (Laptop part) is quite powerful for what it is, if that (or future equivalent) was in a console chassis it would be awesome for consoles to use that kind of power.

But that would also drive the price up too much IMO. (Altho, in time, not so much)

Then again, why not go the whole hog and use the GTX 980 non-M they they just crammed into notebooks. (Bar the price, this would be real nice)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I was making a rough estimate of how long before a "4K ready" GPU would be cheap enough to put in a console. Based on a rough estimate of GFLOPs and the time it takes for a spec to get cheap enough. Actually lets calculate this another way.

The PS4's GPU is about 1.8TFLOP, similar to the GTX660. When the PS4 launched that was around a $200US card. Currently $200US gets to a 960 (makes sense) which according to wiki is a 2.3TFLOP card. It's about two years between those two points and the raw power has increased by ~30%. Fair assessment? But we want to get to the 970 spec which is a 3.5TFLOP card. So we're at 2.3TFLOP, 2 more years (2017) is 3.0TFLOP, another 2 years (2019) is 3.9TFLOP which is maybe a bit too far.

So ~2018 they should be 4K ready at the price they want to sell these things at. Calculated it two ways and got the same answer.

There's a difference between the availability of high resolution screens and the ability for cheap hardware that can drive it. As we saw with the 360 and PS3 and the rapid adoption of full 1080p TVs when they were barely ready for 720p. So regardless of how quickly 4K becomes mainstream I think we'll be very close to that "8 year" mark before 4K capable hardware is mainstream. Or at least cheap enough that they can sell it with a small profit at a price people will be willing to pay.

With that said, I just looked at a list of GPU release dates and their GFLOPs and did some basic back of the envelope calculations. Then made the assumption that a 970 spec GPU is "good enough" for 4K. Based on that rough estimate? The year I came up with was 2018 before it's cheap enough to be sold in the way the PS4 is being sold.

Thank you- So PS4 was released November 2013. so bastically around 5-6 years.

I mean my 8800 can still play new games as long as they have aa dx10 renderer.

The current gen is much better suited with dealing with future technology. I mean ram amounts increased by 16-20x by the time the generation ended. I have a really hard time believing we will have 144-160 GB of system memory by the end of this gen. In 5 years we'll probably see more 16GB systems but 8GB will be more common and gaming cards will probably have 4GB. So it will be 12-20 GB to 8 on consoles vs 10 GB to 512mb from 2013

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I mean my 8800 can still play new games as long as they have aa dx10 renderer.

The current gen is much better suited with dealing with future technology. I mean ram amounts increased by 16-20x by the time the generation ended. I have a really hard time believing we will have 144-160 GB of system memory by the end of this gen. In 5 years we'll probably see more 16GB systems but 8GB will be more common and gaming cards will probably have 4GB. So it will be 12-20 GB to 8 on consoles vs 10 GB to 512mb from 2013

GTX or GT? Or Ultra?

Consoles don't usually last 8 Years in the past it was much shorter, PS3 Xbox were exceptions to this and were very High end when they came out. I think Sony and microsoft have both hinted this generation will not last as long and sony even saying they might think about a higher Performance version of the PS4 in the future. i think were looking more around a 6 year run on theses by then 4k tvs and gaming and content will exist and right now 4k 30fps is pretty easily ran on a $300 dollar card so another 4 years of price decreases and maybe just maybe theyll hit that mark or maybe they do like 1440p upscale to 4k 

Consoles don't usually last 8 Years in the past it was much shorter, PS3 Xbox were exceptions to this and were very High end when they came out. I think Sony and microsoft have both hinted this generation will not last as long and sony even saying they might think about a higher Performance version of the PS4 in the future. i think were looking more around a 6 year run on theses by then 4k tvs and gaming and content will exist and right now 4k 30fps is pretty easily ran on a $300 dollar card so another 4 years of price decreases and maybe just maybe theyll hit that mark or maybe they do like 1440p upscale to 4k 

But then they'd have to change everything, and basically make a new console anyway, right?

-Unless the CPU actually can handle 4K and not bottleneck the newer GPU.

But then they'd have to change everything, and basically make a new console anyway, right?

-Unless the CPU actually can handle 4K and not bottleneck the newer GPU.

Yeah they would probably improve both CPU & GPU if they did this but if it was a PS4 Ultra or whatever they would name the thing  they would build it being compatible with PS4 games in mind and just being able to turn the graphics up a bit or higher FPS and actually run at 1080P

i dont think they would target 4k till next gen and even then we will need to see prices of GPUs in 4 more years. Also depends on price range there looking at i think they could do 1080 60fps for a $500-550 dollar console but 4k 30frames medium to high settings compared to PC at like $750 right now this is completely RANDOM guesses and my own opinion so dont take anything to literal haha 

Also 4k does not put much more of a load on a CPU if anything it sort of puts less work on a CPU sort of if you set your game to run at 4k and you get 30fps and you then set it at 1080p and your getting 80fps the CPU is usually working harder to run the 80FPS regardless of the resolution  since the CPU has to set up each frame for the GPU to render I believe this is why as when i game at 1080p and 4k my CPU strain is actually less at 4k and why if you have a 144hz moinitor you need a really good CPU 

i dont think they would target 4k till next gen and even then we will need to see prices of GPUs in 4 more years. Also depends on price range there looking at i think they could do 1080 60fps for a $500-550 dollar console but 4k 30frames medium to high settings compared to PC at like $750 right now this is completely RANDOM guesses and my own opinion so dont take anything to literal haha 

Well what sort of GPUs will be at what sort of prices are one of the easiest things to predict. It almost runs like clockwork especially over longer periods of time. If you're talking 4 years from today? 4K will definitely be possible. By then we should be expecting something between the 970 and 980 to be incredibly mid-range. 4 years is a long time. As for backwards compatibility, I highly doubt they're changing architectures again. Given that I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is full backwards compatibility.

Look at it this way, around 4 years before the PS4 launched people were bragging about the shiny new 470s and 480s in their machine. Both of them are technically less capable than the PS4. And we all know that the PS4 didn't even try to push the spec. That's how much things can move in 4 years.