Overclocking AMD FX-8350 to 4.5GHz

Hey everybody!

I recently purchased a FX-8350 and an Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 mobo. Simple question here. What steps do I have to take to bring this baby to 4.5GHz. I will have an H100i over it so it should be sufficient. All I want to know is what to enable and disable, multiplier, and voltage. That is all. I am sort of against raising the speed of the FSB, and I do not want to have to clock my 1600MHz memory to 1333MHz for whatever reason people say you should when overclocking. I know how to overclock, however, I want to know what you guys want me to put the multiplier and voltage at. I know how to run stability tests.

Thanks in advance. If you need more info, tell me.

Matthew

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

Why not just use the AI Suite software that comes with the motherboard to do everything for you?

With an H100i you should easily be able to take that to 5.0GHz by overclocking in the BIOS and still get good temps. And clocking your RAM to 1600MHz with the 5.0GHz shouldn't be an issue either. Just youtube BIOS overclocking guides for your mobo.

*off topic: I really like your gif dp from the original Pokemon movie :) i cried at that part and not afraid to admit it!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Why not just use the AI Suite software that comes with the motherboard to do everything for you?

I thought that was just for the Maximus board :O?

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

*off topic: I really like your gif dp from the original Pokemon movie :) i cried at that part and not afraid to admit it!
LOL thank you. It was a tear jerker for me too...

Probably going to want to disable turbo core function. Just start raising your multiplier till you aren't stable, then raise your voltage. 4.5 for that chip will be very easy. Should be a walk in the park.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

I currently run 4.5 stable at around 1.3volt. I've had it stable at just above 1.2 but considering I sometimes run the cpu at full speed the entire night I brought it back to 1.3 (can't remember the exact values) All you need to do is disable all the fancy stuff you don't need in the bios change the multiplier to 22.5 and lower the voltage a bit, that's all she wrote.

I'm using a coolermaster V8 so you will easily be capable of clocking stable at 5GHz I tried it but my temps went too far up. Just don't forget that too much voltage will result in WORSE peformance, do NOT brute force volting.

Best way to overclock the FX-8350 to 4.5GHz is to just higher the multiplier and then lower the voltage in steps of 3 until you get under 1.3v from there start with steps of 1. When you fail to POST, so not boot, higher the voltage with around 2-5 steps and (you will need to clear CMOS and get your multiplier and voltage set back) try to boot. If you can't boot then higher the voltage with 2-3 steps and try again. Run a stability test and you're done.

I currently run 4.5 stable at around 1.3volt. I've had it stable at just above 1.2 but considering I sometimes run the cpu at full speed the entire night I brought it back to 1.3 (can't remember the exact values) All you need to do is disable all the fancy stuff you don't need in the bios change the multiplier to 22.5 and lower the voltage a bit' date=' that's all she wrote. I'm using a coolermaster V8 so you will easily be capable of clocking stable at 5GHz I tried it but my temps went too far up. Just don't forget that too much voltage will result in WORSE peformance, do NOT brute force volting. Best way to overclock the FX-8350 to 4.5GHz is to just higher the multiplier and then lower the voltage in steps of 3 until you get under 1.3v from there start with steps of 1. When you fail to POST, so not boot, higher the voltage with around 2-5 steps and (you will need to clear CMOS and get your multiplier and voltage set back) try to boot. If you can't boot then higher the voltage with 2-3 steps and try again. Run a stability test and you're done.[/quote']My 8350 runs at 4.3Ghz 1.4v under the same exact cooler and 65C under P95 load. How in the world were you able to achieve that overclock at a lower voltage than me?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I currently run 4.5 stable at around 1.3volt. I've had it stable at just above 1.2 but considering I sometimes run the cpu at full speed the entire night I brought it back to 1.3 (can't remember the exact values) All you need to do is disable all the fancy stuff you don't need in the bios change the multiplier to 22.5 and lower the voltage a bit' date=' that's all she wrote. I'm using a coolermaster V8 so you will easily be capable of clocking stable at 5GHz I tried it but my temps went too far up. Just don't forget that too much voltage will result in WORSE peformance, do NOT brute force volting. Best way to overclock the FX-8350 to 4.5GHz is to just higher the multiplier and then lower the voltage in steps of 3 until you get under 1.3v from there start with steps of 1. When you fail to POST, so not boot, higher the voltage with around 2-5 steps and (you will need to clear CMOS and get your multiplier and voltage set back) try to boot. If you can't boot then higher the voltage with 2-3 steps and try again. Run a stability test and you're done.[/quote']My 8350 runs at 4.3Ghz 1.4v under the same exact cooler and 65C under P95 load. How in the world were you able to achieve that overclock at a lower voltage than me?

I suppose I've got a good chip but it shouldn't matter so much. I will be posting a tutorial on how to overclock an FX. Maybe that will help you on your way. Also keep in mind that I'm using an Asrock fata1y 990FX mobo which is quite good at overclocking.

I suppose I've got a good chip but it shouldn't matter so much. I will be posting a tutorial on how to overclock an FX. Maybe that will help you on your way. Also keep in mind that I'm using an Asrock fata1y 990FX mobo which is quite good at overclocking.

Link me there :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/news-reviews-article-guides/guides-and-tutorials/98024-a-guide-to-overclocking-the-amd-fx-series-and-some-info-on-ocing-in-generall

there you go ^^

You can download the AI Suite 2 Software and use TurboV to automatically overclock your CPU to 4.5ghz or higher.

Link to your motherboard to download the software: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A99X_EVO_R20/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Don't use the AI Suite software. It's always better to overclock from the BIOS. I have no idea why people are actually recommending this.

Download coretemp, cpuz, and prime95. All you have to do is boot to the bios, alter the vcore and raise the multiplier accordingly. Once you get an overclock to boot to windows open the programs I mentioned, run prime95 and see if it is stable. Once you achive your desired overclock you run prime for a couple hours or so to ensure it is fully stable. As far as temps go, you should be aiming to keep them below 65C.

Don't use AS Suite to overclock, it is always better to use the BIOS. Use the guide someone else already posted here.

To sum it up, download coretemp, CPUZ, and prime95. Go into your bios and increase the multiplier and vcore accordingly, if your computer does not boot all that means is that your not giving it enough vcore. I believe 1.400v is required for a 4.3ghz - 4.4ghz. Once you get an overclock stable enough to boot into windows you open up all three programs I mentioned, run prime95 to stress the system and monitor the temps. You should be aiming at below 65C. Once you achive your desired overclock you run prime95 for a prolonged period to ensure it is 100% stable.

Once you do this save your bios settings if your motherboard supports profiles and you don't have to do anything anymore. Even if you re-install windows your overclock will stick.

You can download the AI Suite 2 Software and use TurboV to automatically overclock your CPU to 4.5ghz or higher. Link to your motherboard to download the software: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A99X_EVO_R20/
I've tried that before. Auto overclocks always seem to fail on me whether I'm using a budget or premium board. Idk why lol.
Don't use the AI Suite software. It's always better to overclock from the BIOS. I have no idea why people are actually recommending this. Download coretemp' date=' cpuz, and prime95. All you have to do is boot to the bios, alter the vcore and raise the multiplier accordingly. Once you get an overclock to boot to windows open the programs I mentioned, run prime95 and see if it is stable. Once you achive your desired overclock you run prime for a couple hours or so to ensure it is fully stable. As far as temps go, you should be aiming to keep them below 65C.
The best I can get is 4.3 even with the above guide. Not much of an overclock but something's better than nothing. Otherwise I'd have to raise my voltage to around 1.4-1.45v to achieve a stable OC but the temps are bad with my setup if I do so (peaking around 80C P95 load and 75C rendering videos)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)