Home Theater time.

HumbleMobo
Go to solution Solved by VioDuskar,

Well, it's only 5 because I wanted to try a 4 way SLI and I have an ASUS 980 anniversary Gold Edition.  Rather than sell my 980Ti's I keep them for various reasons.  

yeah, i'd keep them too. build a HT PC, but i'd keep the TV you have.

Ok here's the deal, I think I'd like to buy a new TV and maybe some new PC parts.  I have a couple 980Ti's laying around from a previous SLI build that my main rig has since replace.  Right now I have a UN88JS9500 88 inch curved screen 4k SUHD TV.  Should I get the new LG OLED screen?  The way my TV room is set up is sort of like a theater with the theater seats that are like leather arm chairs all set up on layers.  Right now I have a Bose theater sound system set up.  So my questions are as follows,

should I make an HTPC,

Should I get an OLED TV,

and Should I get a different sound system?

Oh and should I put Steam OS on the HTPC?

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

I'm just amazed you own an 88 inch 4K curved TV...

Couple 980ti's laying around as well - where are you on the Forbes rich list?

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

the amount of money laying around hurts my wallet. 

" I have a couple 980Ti's laying around"

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Yes, make an HTPC. Awesome thing to have.

As for the TV. I don't know. You have a pretty awesome one already.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

I'm just amazed you own an 88 inch 4K curved TV...

Couple 980ti's laying around as well - where are you on the Forbes rich list?

I never checked, but I prefer to keep my identity hidden because my industry is quite competitive.  One side is always trying to get dirt on one another.

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Yes, make an HTPC. Awesome thing to have.

As for the TV. I don't know. You have a pretty awesome one already.

What about Steam OS?  Or should I just go with MSX and run Steam in big picture?

I never checked, but I prefer to keep my identity hidden because my industry is quite competitive.  One side is always trying to get dirt on one another.

Can't tell if sarcasm or what... ;)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

What about Steam OS?  Or should I just go with MSX and run Steam in big picture?

Couldn't answer that one. I've never messed around with SteamOS. I've only seen it in videos.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Can't tell if sarcasm or what... ;)

It is in absolute sincerity, the Law firms as as cut throat as one can be.

Couldn't answer that one. I've never messed around with SteamOS. I've only seen it in videos.

Ah okay.

the amount of money laying around hurts my wallet. 

" I have a couple 980Ti's laying around"

Well, it's only 5 because I wanted to try a 4 way SLI and I have an ASUS 980 anniversary Gold Edition.  Rather than sell my 980Ti's I keep them for various reasons.  

yeah, i'd keep them too. build a HT PC, but i'd keep the TV you have.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

oh yeah, keep the TV, unless you really hate the curves and 88 inchs of 4k glory :"). I'm sure you wont see a major difference in terms of picture quality other then deeper blacks maybe. Bose sound system is great, (unless you wanna buy a Klipsch Gallery G-16 7.1 Home Theater System, i dont know how much better it will be though.) im sure you can throw some 980ti's into the htpc and get it to push 4k 60fps (maybe even 120 fps? im sure you can ball and go quad 980ti's no problem :") (just looked up the tv you have, it has a refresh rate of 240cmr AKA 120hz [and holy F*** thats a $20,000 tv.]) while your at it, buy another 88 inch 4k tv for dual screens and have the best gaming system in the world. xD

• 3 weeks later...

Don't run Steam OS, its not worth it. Go with Windows 10 for sure. IMO i would get a nice new receiver and a some high quality speakers, as for what you should buy it all depends on what you do with your home theater. If you watch a lot of movies and want some in-depth sound feel Klipsch makes some great stuff. If you want something more natural sounding to listen to music then go with something like Bowers and WIlkins. Also 2x 980tis are more than capable to run whatever you'd like at 4k, no need for the extra power draw and heat output IMO. Also consider water-cooling it to get a nice silent setup all the way around.

Don't run Steam OS, its not worth it. Go with Windows 10 for sure. IMO i would get a nice new receiver and a some high quality speakers, as for what you should buy it all depends on what you do with your home theater. If you watch a lot of movies and want some in-depth sound feel Klipsch makes some great stuff. If you want something more natural sounding to listen to music then go with something like Bowers and WIlkins. Also 2x 980tis are more than capable to run whatever you'd like at 4k, no need for the extra power draw and heat output IMO. Also consider water-cooling it to get a nice silent setup all the way around.

I prefer air over water any day for one thing, for another Bowers and Wilkins is sort of overpriced like Klipsch.  Those two brands are like Bang and Olufsen had a love child with Harmon Kardon so I'm not exactly too hype for those brands.  As far as MSX, I hate it with a burning passion after it screwed me over twice so I'm not going with that.  If anything, I'll go Ubuntu and grab kmc(I forget) or kodie is what it's called I think.  Plus heat output is not an issue whatsoever considering the conditions and exposure.