[Build Log] "Phenomenon" Switch 810+Pedestal

Jokrik

Phenomenon

SideLaser_zps8e9129ff.jpg

About this build log:

I've been a pc enthusiast for just about a year and a half. Building a gaming rig for just a "so-so" experience was only my goal at that time. I've started with a medium class build using a single average graphics, however as time goes by ; I've got a plague :rolleyes: by reading enthusiast forums to demand more from my rig; adding an SLI setup was my option at that time. Running games on the highest setting possible with no lag or issue was my next goal , than it turned nasty! I was actually starstruck when I browse a section of the forum called "OCN Water Cooling Club and Gallery" :P .

From there everything just seem blur and here I am making a build log for fun (since I enjoy building this rig so much) with a total of 1080 of rad on my switch with a little modding here and there.

Whats with the name?

The theme for my build was actually taken/inspired by how many people hated the CSQ design on the EK Waterblock. I'm not promoting or anything , I've actually used many other water cooling brand in the setup but with this in mind. Probably this build would inspire people to rather than blaming on how bad the design of a product to actually make it work by inserting ideas and solutions into it. I've actually dont mind the CSQ thingy therefore taken a theme from "CROP CIRCLE" which is a phenomena and I find it (still) amazing; (although there are bits of argument on the true nature of it here and there). I've came up with the name "Phenomenon"

lucy_pringle_crop_circle960x350.png

What will be in this build?

What I can say is that I will use the same components from my lastest build including the case to save cost. What I will do or try to show in this build log is to make this Switch 810 more eye-popping in term of performance and look. I will be using a total of 1020 space of radiator (480+360+240) with the help of DWOOD Pedestal (which I've already received and LOVE it!) since my ultimate goal is to get a 5c Delta on CPU temp. This goal is pretty way up there since it gets pretty hot without air con in Asia

Most of the components I've chosen are the one that fits in my build color theme. Whats left is that to add a more color fit water cooling components which is already on its way from the USA

The most difficult hurdle I've got is that I am currently located in an Asia country where to to get the water cooling component is limited and pricy. I've ordered from FrozenCPU but sometimes the shipping cost is not worth if I buy in small quantity therefore Im trying hard to order all at once and if something got left behind I'll see what I can find in my own country

The build will also use some laser cut to make the pattern which I've drawn on pieces of acrylic

Main Components:
i7 2600k
Asus Maximus Formula V
G.Skill Ripzjaw 4x4GB
2x Asus GTX 670 DC2T
Seasonic Platinum 860w
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Asus Xonar Phoebus

Main water cooling components:
EK Supremacy CPU Block
EK Formula V motherboard block
2x EK Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII full cover block
EK XTX 480 Radiator
EK XTX 360 Radiator
EK XT 240 Radiator
Monsoon Fittings (White) 3/8" ID 1/2" OD - Combine
Bitspower Fittings (White) - Combine
EK Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8 OD - Combine
EK Dual DDC TOP
Bitspower Full Acrylic 150ml Reservoir
EK Bay res acrylic-acetal
2x Swiftech DDC3.2 pump
Primocill Advanced LRT Tube

Other Stuff:
Scythe Gentle Typhoo AP-15
NZXT sentry Mix

and some of this and that which I will update as progress :)

The build has actually started a couple of weeks ago, but I'll keep you guys on all the updates

Lastly forgive me if there are language issue since English isn't my native

and let the build begin!

EDIT:  I've included the final Pic in the first page

Front_zps4ab33043.jpg

Side_zps9c649290.jpg

SideOn_zps94b22664.jpg

SideClose_zps854a95f5.jpg

Side2_zpsc83c9ad1.jpg

Top_zpsfa224c1a.jpg

SideClose2_zpse7cf9832.jpg

SideLightOff_zps864fd47e.jpg

SideLightOnClose2_zpsded8d12c.jpg

SideLightOnClose_zps7cd43270.jpg

SidePanelOn_zps55a0b56f.jpg

Rotate_zps9b6a0fe4.jpg

SideLightOn4_zps568dbcde.jpg

SideLightOn3_zps8f594291.jpg

FrontLight_zps10f353d4.jpg

SideLightOn1_zpse90f4b9c.jpg

SideLightOn2_zps2a2fddd1.jpg

BlueSide_zps02473f72.jpg

StressTestLowLoad2_zpsc503ec96.jpg

Latest update on deliding and new fan filter http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/4702-build-log-phenomenon-switch-810pedestal/?p=192884

January 25th 2013

A package arrived from EKWB, I've won the cooledpc competition and this will go into the build :)

MOBO2_zps5f0d61ee.jpg

MOBO1_zpsc16484b4.jpg

Radiator2_zpsbefdec5c.jpg

Radiator1_zpscd53aa9b.jpg

Took a couple of photos with my SLR and my home made/cheap studio :D (table lamp and white cloth)

I cut the top cover with a dremel to make a perfect square so that the laser cut acrylic can fit in it. I designed the acrylic so that airflow can still flow well through the system

This time im using my camera from s3. Due to the nature of my no-life job I've only been able to mod and do some work on the build late at night. Pardon me for the crappy pic :D

IMG-20130129-00439_zpsa998064e.jpg

This is a slice of the sketch :)

IMG-20130201-00445_zps2a2dee8b.jpg

I've sent the sketch and the panel to a friend of mine who is also a modder since I cant locate any laser cut service in my area

FYI I live in East Borneo where services like that is either limited in result or none at all :(

Cant wait for the laser cut result, I'll see how it goes if its not as what I expected and doesnt look good. I might go with other option like mesh or others

February 3th 2013

Another package has arrived and this come from the US

DWOOD_zpse26d2dd5.jpg

Inside is...... TADA

Pedestal1_zpsec1da3e9.jpg

Pedestal2_zps1a8b3184.jpg

Im planning to get the front panel from DWOOD to be laser cut, still going to draw a trademark logo for the rig

I've also decided the color for my cable extension

Currently all my cables are sleeved with black-red-black pattern which I dont think would go well with the upcoming build

I've asked a friend of mine who is an amazing cable sleever to make an extension for me at a cost (seriously with my job and life, I cant get any sleeve done at all while progressing on other stuff :( )

anyway

Planning to get something like this

Cable_zps4cd72fea.png

And he did it right away, sent me a picture

IMG-20130204-00098_zps07a17893.jpg

AMAZING! love it

will be in the mail soon

February 4th 2013

OK! Decided to disassemble my rig since the package from frozenCPU just need to be release from local custom

No more black ops 2 :( soooo close to diamond SMG

Byeeee

Bye_zps3ab31b37.jpg

Draining from drain port

Drain_zps348829b3.jpg

For those who's wondering this is my current work space, have to do the cutting at the balcony outside else someone will rage out of the dust :D

Workarea_zpsf3773a03.jpg

And I cant resist the switch + pedestal combo :drool: sorry if its abit dark, tried to keep the ISO down with no tripod

Smexy_zpsd09613ff.jpg

Managed to get the fittings cleaned and wash , very disappointed that some of the fitting has some gunk on it and very hard to be removed

May probably corrosion, can someone help me here? I'm using EK coolant, probably this come from the guy which I bought a second handed fittings from. Gonna have to find a way to clean it

Washing_zps9894800d.jpg

Corrision_zpse26d3a28.jpg

February 5th 2013

Woke early due to thunderstorm , so able to get some work on the rig the morning :D

I've washed all the radiators thoroughly and even rinse it with vinegar water. Learnt that you cant just use water to clean the gunk from a coolant, washed it with running water for like a good 5 min on the old radiator, after 5 minutes; clear water came out than I add vinegar in it and leave it for an hour or so.

Came back and have to rinse it again for a good 3 min or so and its allll..... colored water from the coolant....

Wash_zps2fae792b.jpg

Vinegar_zps7604014f.jpg

Next is painting the radiator, since its cloudy I wont get the best result with painting it now. But its all ready to go :)

Gonna paint only the top radiator where 360 rad will be in use, I'll have the rest of the radiator hidden either with acrylic or down there at the pedestal, so might as well not paint it white

Readypaint_zps77c2fc10.jpg

February 6th 2013

Pretty big update today!

Received a package from FrozenCPU

Box_zpsa74ee9c4.jpg

And whats inside ??

InsideBox_zps253dcfc8.jpg

Here are a couple shot of the products I bought

Resbits_zps0841bdde.jpg

BayRes_zps5797fb03.jpg

Bayres2_zps8430537c.jpg

The fittings:

Monsoon3_zps5c1e217f.jpg

Monsoon_zps4de530cf.jpg

Monsoon2_zps14b16b80.jpg

To be honest I'm not overly satisfied with the monsoon product, I was kinda shock to find that the build quality isn't as much as what I expected

moreover I am very disappointed with the packaging, I find no label about the size of the fittings so I dont know right now If I bought the right one

besides, the packaging is made of soft fabric; with white fittings it leaves a lot of black little fur all over the fittings

For people who doesn't really check/wash it out and just put straight to the loop, sure this would create some problem

Lastly with the O-rings, no wonder i've heard alot of people forgot to put on the o-ring and resulted in a leak ; there is no instruction or warning for it what so ever

enough of that,

Fans_zps93ba6f94.jpg

Fans2_zpsc660fd21.jpg

These are just a few of the fans, I've some leftover from my last rig

funny thing is, ITS MADE IN INDONESIA

and it cost me that much to send it back from the US to Indonesia :thumbsdow

Meanwhile, I've made a few progress on the build

I've ordered some white acrylic for all the cover needs and it will arrive tomorrow with my new jigsaw :D though I know i'll have problem finding the right saw blade tomorrow

I've also managed to fully disassembled the case, and working to swap the switch feet to the pedestal

Rangka_zpsd0243125.jpg

The painting for the radiator is done!!

Radwhite_zps3cbd05ca.jpg

RadiatorWhite_zpsbae98720.jpg

Last but not least I've cleaned the last bit of my old setup which is the CPU block

After cleaning it thoroughly I'm happy enough that after 7 months of use I find no major gunk or anything in the cpu block by looking at it closely through the plexy

Might wanna take the cpu block apart and soak it in the lemon , but dont think its necessary since its only been less than a year use with the same coolant all the time

CleanCPU_zpsd04698c0.jpg

That's it for now guys :)

February 8th 2013

Made a few progress, though I'm going slowly with the progress; what I want is for it to be regular though only small per updates

anyway,

I've designed a few panel for the pedestal and some logo emblem for the front and will be sending it tomorrow for the laser cut

I've also drilled some holes for the front mounter radiator today

Decided to also paint the radiator white since i've extra white paint laying around

Frontmount_zps24fe90a2.jpg

This is how the pump going to be

Pumpsetup_zps804fca8f.jpg

Took off the fan controller knob

Knob_zps5f6b9826.jpg

After some painting

FCcontrollerafter_zpsec7f2f87.jpg

FanController_zps96bdc874.jpg

I've cut some acrylic for the motherboard back plate, going to cover the whole back side of the build

Acryliccutting_zps8dc8b47d.jpg

moboback_zps21a05093.jpg

Gonna hold making a hole for the 24 pin, since still not sure how bendable the 24 pin extender

Thats all for now folks :D

February 11th 2013

A few updates guys

Firstly, I have the 240 radiator painted! but to be honest I'm not 100% satisfied with the result

Its been raining hard these past few days so the result is pretty dodgy in my opinion

see for your self and compare with the first painted rad

pardon me for a few dirty spot on the fin

240radwhite_zpsd7529ab5.jpg

Thx to Jass (OCN) I was able to prevent the GPU slot problem, Its all done now !

FitGPU_zps8cad8bec.jpg

I've also took a major step to cut down the 5.25" bay so that there will be more space on the inside and doesn't look too crowded once I cover everything is more acrylic! yes more white acrylic

the acrylic that cover the 5.25" bay will be aligned with the front rad

Readytobecut_zps0ea6a426.jpg

Process_zps426d5fd8.jpg

CutBay_zps1d037589.jpg

The front bay would look like something like this once everything is assembled, just test fitting for now

Frontbay_zps3aad3b0f.jpg

FrontBay2_zpseddba3be.jpg

Fit1_zps24349f3a.jpg

Still wondering the best way to route the FC cables to the back, there are few options,

which are to cut holes for it ; or even cut the acrylic in straight line , aligned with the radiator and the bay itself since it would be covered anyway

I've also installed an angled aluminium for the psu cover to be screwed on

Angled_zps3999647b.jpg

Furthermore, there are a few pics on the motherboard since I've put all the blocks on :)

Motherboard_zpsc641c58a.jpg

motherboard2_zps2fd60b73.jpg

Motherboard4_zpsc3b67057.jpg

Motherboard3_zps57f4f3ed.jpg

Thats all for now ,

next stop would be the acrylic work and LED lighting

February 13th 2013

A quick update :)

My ocd has been kicking in when I saw how messy the cut on the 5.25" cage, I've decided to paint it white

paintfront1_zps0fde998b.jpg

and the result has been nothing but perfect

paintfront2_zpsf93a1a9d.jpg

meanwhile I've also assembled the radiators and fans so that I can get the big picture on how Im gonna layout the acrylic cover

took me a while to find the right bolts, been hearing a lot of stories where the bolts are too long and damage the radiators

not gonna happen! not today!

Assemble_zps09cb5603.jpg

assemble4_zps2820306e.jpg

assemble2_zpsd68ca6bd.jpg

assemble3_zps0b971b20.jpg

Going to measure the acrylic the day after tomorrow, else my gf is going to kill me (valentines tomorrow)

ciao

I can't wait to see how this is going to look! Maybe my next build i'll make a custom loop.

I can't wait to see how this is going to look! Maybe my next build i'll make a custom loop.
Ill keep you on update for sure :)

I'm here to help if u need some knowledge on custom loop

This build looks awesome, my favorite case ever! SUBBED

Is that an s3 I see =D? what camera are you shooting with?

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Wow, this rig looks freakin amazing! I absolutely can not wait till its fully finished. Keep posting pics so I can stare at them some more.

February 3th 2013

Another package has arrived and this come from the US

Inside is...... TADA

Im planning to get the front panel from DWOOD to be laser cut, still going to draw a trademark logo for the rig

I've also decided the color for my cable extension

Currently all my cables are sleeved with black-red-black pattern which I dont think would go well with the upcoming build

I've asked a friend of mine who is an amazing cable sleever to make an extension for me at a cost (seriously with my job and life, I cant get any sleeve done at all while progressing on other stuff :( )

anyway

Planning to get something like this

And he did it right away, sent me a picture

AMAZING! love it

will be in the mail soon

Your friend did a great job on the sleeving. Very, very nice.

Did you get the extra housing on the bottom custom made? Where did you get it?

hello

17th of February 2013

A few updates, I'll let the pictures do the talking :)

Cables_zpsb0699261.jpg

Fan1_zps06bb3fe6.jpg

Fan2_zps7eee6dd2.jpg

fan3_zpse0d57f1c.jpg

Fan4_zps7fd8e52e.jpg

This is the laser cut top panel, I'll have the laser cut side panel for pedestal by tomorrow

TopPanel_zps60ea927f.jpg

Toppanel2_zpse8a33e77.jpg

Some progress on the case

cablehole_zpsa1499527.jpg

CableHole2_zps04d6f4cf.jpg

Made some angled support from acrylic so that the lighting can get through instead of aluminium

Angled1_zps8e9271df.jpg

angled2_zps89cc5176.jpg

cover1_zpscf61f647.jpg

and a couple of sneak peak

cover3_zps4198a6ae.jpg

cover2_zps9f5b420e.jpg

preview1_zps10efeea1.jpg

preview2_zps6eb13e37.jpg

This build looks awesome, my favorite case ever! SUBBED

Is that an s3 I see =D? what camera are you shooting with?

yeah S3 :)

Im using 60D with 24-105 lens

have a 5D MarkII with 24-70 lens but its too heavy for this build purposes

Did you get the extra housing on the bottom custom made? Where did you get it?
Thanks :) i take t you've drilled holes through what is effectively the mid plate for tubing?

hello