Amp or Amp/Dac

dphan6

I bought a pair of DT770 250ohms since all 3 types were $200, so why not get the 250ohm version.

But what amp or amp/dac should i get?

I know an amp is needed for the 250ohm version, but do i need the dac aswell?

And what should i get?

A amp will make a very large difference with the DT770's. I would spend more for an amp. You still still probably get both though.

An amp will make very little difference with the DT770s. Unless your onboard just doesn't have a proper headphone output, which will be audible. I would spend as little as possible for an amp. Something like the SMSL SD793-II or Fiio E10K would more than suffice.

Before you spend anymore money, just try it first with your current set up.

If it's loud enough, then you're good.

If it's not, then you may want to get an amp.

If your on-board is absolute crap and there is noise present, then may want an AMP/DAC combo. 

Fiio E10k if you only have USB.

SMSL 793II if you only have SPDIF.

An amp will make very little difference with the DT770s. Unless your onboard just doesn't have a proper headphone output, which will be audible. I would spend as little as possible for an amp. Something like the SMSL SD793-II or Fiio E10K would more than suffice.

Have you tried with DT770's with and without an amp?

Have you tried with DT770's with and without an amp?

I'm not sure what business it is of yours what I've done.

Fair enough. When I switched from using my Xonar STX over to a separate amp/dac the difference was pretty large. What used to be a very closed sound stage and sounding sort of muffled opened up to a nice large sound stage with crisp sound. Now this may be with my particular amp, but I think it would be a worth while investment with these headphones specifically.

Fair enough. When I switched from using my Xonar STX over to a separate amp/dac the difference was pretty large. What used to be a very closed sound stage and sounding sort of muffled opened up to a nice large sound stage with crisp sound. Now this may be with my particular amp, but I think it would be a worth while investment with these headphones specifically.

"sort of muffled" vs "crisp sound" isn't much to go on, but it makes it sound more like there was something wrong with your soundcard. What amp did you get?

"sort of muffled" vs "crisp sound" isn't much to go on, but it makes it sound more like there was something wrong with your soundcard. What amp did you get?

I guess it was sort of more muffled in sense that the sound stage is very limiting, so that would give me the impression of it being more crisp I suppose. I use an Asgard 2, so I am not sure how much the lower end amps will be for an effect.

Before you spend anymore money, just try it first with your current set up.

If it's loud enough, then you're good.

If it's not, then you may want to get an amp.

If your on-board is absolute crap and there is noise present, then may want an AMP/DAC combo. 

Fiio E10k if you only have USB.

SMSL 793II if you only have SPDIF.

Nah onboard is trash... it cant handle the 250ohms 

Would the Fiio E10k be able to support the output of the 250ohms?

I guess it was sort of more muffled in sense that the sound stage is very limiting, so that would give me the impression of it being more crisp I suppose. I use an Asgard 2, so I am not sure how much the lower end amps will be for an effect.

Well, I'm thinking about getting that amp at some future date. I've own the E10 and it sounds pretty similar to my motherboard. No issues with soundstage here. Still, what you describe sounds more like an issue with frequency response than anything else - too much upper mids and too little treble.

Your onboard might not be able to, but mine can handle "250 ohms" just fine. Because it is sensitivity that matters here, not just impedance.

The E10K is more than capable of driving the DT770 to comfortable listening levels.

It should be fine, 96 db/mW isn't too hard to drive.

Is it a newer motherboard or an older one? Newer being like the past few years.

Well, I'm thinking about getting that amp at some future date. I've own the E10 and it sounds pretty similar to my motherboard. No issues with soundstage here. Still, what you describe sounds more like an issue with frequency response than anything else - too much upper mids and too little treble.

Maybe. I am not master of how audio works, so my terminology may be incorrect, but it is definitely a huge improvement with those headphones. Now for my DT880, yeah an amp doesn't make a notable difference at all.

Is it a newer motherboard or an older one? Newer being like the past few years.

Maybe. I am not master of how audio works, so my terminology may be incorrect, but it is definitely a huge improvement with those headphones. Now for my DT880, yeah an amp doesn't make a notable difference at all.

That's interesting, given that they 770 and 880 are mechanically and electrically very similar.

That's interesting, given that they 770 and 880 are mechanically and electrically very similar.

Something must be different that causes it to make that much of a difference. If a person is to look at these reviews, many say that it needs amping.

Something must be different that causes it to make that much of a difference. If a person is to look at these reviews, many say that it needs amping.

Yeah, it's called placebo. Not saying there won't be an improvement, but when I see someone claims that there's "that" much of a difference in having an amp/dac on easy to drive headphones I have to roll my eyes. Maybe it's just me, but it's tough for me to notice if I plugged my th-900 in my o2+odac, hp-a8, or just through my note 4. If you've been following Tyll's Big Sound blind test blog, the participants had a hard time discerning the amp/dac and they are quite experienced.

But anyway, op, if it sounds good and loud enough straight from the motherboard, then leave it as is. No need to rush into buying an amp/dac just yet unless you feel the performance is lacking. At the end of the day trust your own ears and don't read too much into reviews especially if it's from head-fi. 

Yes, but that is head-fi.

We don't listen to their talk of amps bringing headphones to their full potential, and all the other crazy stuff they say there.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On the DT770s I've listened to (which were the 80ohm version), using a headphone amplifier did make a big difference. When testing different amplifiers, the difference was not that noticeable. It's just a case of ensuring they are being sufficiently driven.

Experimentation is key, but be aware of placebo effects which may cloud judgement on a cheap amplifier vs an expensive one.

Hostile response is hostile.

an amp by itself is pretty good. the basic objective 2 amp is nice.. you could do something like that and skip the dac..

id say its better for the 250 ohm version but this is only my opinion.. then again I thought any headphone sounded better through the amp including some very cheap low ohm in ears.. that could have been placebo effect..

anyway, as long as youre getting into buying high quality audio stuff why not add a nice headphone amp to go with your other stuff? I personally feel the reasons for getting one out weigh the reasons for not getting one.. at the least, getting a headphone amp will allow for a bigger selection of different headphones that you may want to try out in the future, including higher ohm ones.

youll also have an external volume control on your amp which is nice. you can trn your PCs volume to max and then lower the headphone volume to comfortable listening levels.

This is good as you're getting the max bits of information or whatever per second. Okay, i may not completely understand whats going on there.. But it should sound better.