green screen cheap

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but if someone was to paint a wall green with matte paint or wall paper could that be used as a green screen? just kinda wondering for decorating a small room with my desk in.

Yes just make sure its well painted and then well lit, it needs to be a consistent shade of green to work optimally.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

It should be okay, but something else that matters just as much is the lighting.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Yeah, the biggest thing is to have uniform color and good lighting. Being someone who's used green pieces of cardboard, cheap green screens, and expensive ones consistency and good lighting is all that matters.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Be sure the wall isn't textured like stucco, a flat wall will work fine. Try to keep brush strokes consistent to prevent paint build up, or even worse, drips. Lighting is arguably more important, (3 point lighting is a great start) it's suprising how a program like Keylight in After effects will react so differently when given to seemingly similarly lit green screen backgrounds. 

I like good humans and good food

It should be okay, but something else that matters just as much is the lighting.

lol no

you can have a wall painted in rainbow colours and no matter how good your lighting is you wont be able to cut that out

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm a visual effects artist, though not a DP, but I think I'd chime in.

There's a lot of things that can influence how good your key is.  Your screen has to be even, no wrinkles or other textures that will add changes.  The more even your lighting is, the easier keying will be because you won't have gradients going across your screen.  You should also try not to be close to the screen, a green screen hit with light reflects green light, so it can 'splash' green light onto the subject and the parts of them turning green will cause you further headaches.  Signal noise from the camera is also a factor and that's before we get into more complicated things like color spaces and stuff.  However it also depends on what you're doing.  If you're just doing Twitch or something, you can get away with a pretty shoddy key and few will care.  Look at Pewdiepie, his keys are super ugly but he's still stupid popular.  He only needs a pretty simple and rough function out of his keys to get what he needs.  Now, if you're trying for something more cinematic, that'll be a greater challenge.

Here's an example of a 'simple' setup I did.  Most of the lights are not for the keys and they don't point at the screen.  Only the two 4 foot long Kino Flos on either side of the screen are illuminating it, they're on either side, crossing over, they use 4 foot fluorescent tubes, so they get a nice even, defused light to hit our screen.  Every other light is just to illuminate the scene itself.  Though I don't do lighting anymore, that was college, now I just sit in a computer and key footage that people make months ago with full crews.

417666_10200771946244169_203128582_n.jpg

But remember, if you're shooting a student film on campus, just tell the Nursing professor that you're filming an 'Altercation' involving police in their lab and then don't mention the god damned assault rifle.

69643_10200633818671066_2085367730_n.jpg