Does anyone here game on 34" 3440x1440

I wanted to ask if anyone on this forum played Battlefront on 3440x1440 display this week. I've been looking at videos online and you cant really watch a 3440x1440 resolution video on 16:9. I'm still trying to decide which route to go 34" ultrawide or 27" 16:9, I just cant make up my mind. So I wanted to see if anyone here has played on both 27" Gsync 144hz and 34" 3440x1440 displays. If there is anyone that has experienced both, which display do you prefer to game on?

I'm trying to decide if I want to blow $1300 on the Acer X34 plus tax, or wait for the ASUS PG348Q. My max budget is $1500 and people are saying the ASUS version is going to be way more expensive. I have never experienced Gsync, IPS or even anything higher than 60hz. I played a lot of the Battlefront beta this week on my 1920x1080p display. I was using that resolution slider that goes all the way to 200%. I'm honestly not sure what it exactly, does but I know anything below the 135% the game didn't look as pretty as 200% but I couldn't tell the difference between 150% and 200% so I just stuck with 150%.

I know there's a lot of threads popping up about 27" vs 34" or 21:9 vs 16:9. So sorry for adding to the mix. Anyways these are all the displays that are on my radar hopefully I can decide soon, because I am for one tired of waiting, and been searching since June this year.

LG 34UC87C

Acer X34

ASUS PG278Q

ASUS PG279Q  (Not yet released)

Acer XB270HU

Acer XB1 (Not yet released)

Commenting to come back later! I'm also in the same situation. I'm even considering the same Acer and Asus monitors for 3440x1440.

Though still torn if I should go the 2560x1440 route with the Asus Pg279q.

Gah...the decisions!

Count me in.

I'm really, really thorn. Not a lot of local stores do have 21:9 displays on the floor so it's hard to get a real feel.

But really, it all comes down to that 100hz vs 144hz dilemma for me...

I haven't seen a single post of people that own 3440x1440 saying they would come back to 2560x1440.

But then, people having high end 16:9 seem to really enjoy their monitor too :)

Not a lot of local stores do have 21:9 displays on the floor so it's hard to get a real feel.

I did get to check out I think it was the 34UC97C in store at Frys Electronics. I can remember saying wow this looks really freaking big haha. It looked really colorful on the desktop I didn't get to play with it too much because the salesman were striking a conversation with me. Anyways It looked awesome in store, just wish there was a gaming setup demo or something.

I did get to check out I think it was the 34UC97C in store at Frys Electronics. I can remember saying wow this looks really freaking big haha. It looked really colorful on the desktop I didn't get to play with it too much because the salesman were striking a conversation with me. Anyways It looked awesome in store, just wish there was a gaming setup demo or something.

Oh that's nice.

I live in Canada and since we receive every model after the US, that might explain why they are nowhere to be seen for now :)

Did you have a chance to open up a browser window? navigate a bit on the desktop?

Oh that's nice.

I live in Canada and since we receive every model after the US, that might explain why they are nowhere to be seen for now :)

Did you have a chance to open up a browser window? navigate a bit on the desktop?

I honestly don't remember this was a couple months ago. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and to microcenter to see if they have any still on display. Just to see if I can get an idea again and maybe reassure myself on 21:9.

I honestly don't remember this was a couple months ago. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and to microcenter to see if they have any still on display. Just to see if I can get an idea again and maybe reassure myself on 21:9.

Sounds like a nice idea.

If you have time and are willing to do so, I'd really like to get your feedback on your experience. If you have the chance to open up a browser window and try the monitor in non gaming context that would be amazing (I would be pretty surprised they would have any demanding games on a demo anyway).

I game on 3440x1440, but it's not a gaming monitor and I don't play Battlefront.

I game on 3440x1440, but it's not a gaming monitor and I don't play Battlefront.

Well what games do you play?

Well what games do you play?

Playing Tomb Raider (2013) atm

guy in the it dept got one, got to check it out for normal desktop work. it was good with all that screen space. but im going to wait for it to mature a bit. a couple more releases and the monitor will be good for gaming and everything else.

Oh nice! I actually just picked that up on steam for $5, haven't played it yet. Did you transition from a 1080p?

Oh nice! I actually just picked that up on steam for $5, haven't played it yet. Did you transition from a 1080p?

Yes, I used to have dual 22" 1920x1080 monitors from 5-6 years ago. I believe they were TN panels and definitely not a gaming monitor.

For almost all of my games. I was only able to use 1 of the monitor because they can't support stretching into 2 monitors. 

and I didn't like the experience due to I have to twist my neck to either left or right monitor.

Even if the game allowed me to put the window on the center between the 2 monitors, the bezel totally destroy the gaming experience.

So in a way, my DELL U3415W is a huge upgrade from my previous setup, despite the absence of gaming label.

But in exchange, I have the best professional monitor (10 bit panel, w/ the most accurate reproduction and color uniformity in the market) on top of the best stand out there (which is very important to me, because I don't have much vertical space on my desk. And DELL's can lower the panel to very low height).

I find it funny that we are pretty much in the same exact situation @Ryzone!

I first thought of going with a triple screen setup. Though I wanted to go something higher than 1080p and make the jump to 1440p. I then realized, it would be insanely hard to drive 3 1440p screens for gaming.

So as of now, I'm trying to figure out if I should go:

2x 27'' Asus PG279Q 1440p Monitors with some sort of third screen for multi-tasking. (Would game on the two 1440's if it could handle it, such as a 980ti?)

1x 27'' Asus PG279Q 1440p Monitor with some sort of secondary screen for multi-tasking.

1x 34'' Asus/Acer Ultrawide Monitor with some sort of secondary screen for multi-tasking.

Another issue too of mine is, occasionally I play on my Xbox One and I currently watch TV on my  screen. (Currently gaming on a 27'' 1080p TV Screen) So, being so, whichever monitor setup I went with, I may have to deal with the issue of 1080p content such as console games, and TV looking worse possibly on the 1440p monitors?

I'm not too sure how that would look. 

*Sigh..* So many options..I don't know what to do haha.

-snip-

Yeah I was also even considering going with a 1080p 144hz, but I got two 980 Ti's just so I could run ultrawide smooth. When I first found out about ultrawide monitors in June, I was instantly sold. Now doing some thinking its hard to decide. I'm wondering If I should just go with my rule when taking a test.. the first answer you choose is usually the right one haha. Spending $1300 on a gaming monitor is pretty nuts. I'm considering just getting that LG 34UC87C. I played a lot of Battlefront beta and I was stunned by how amazing the game looked and I was satisfied with how smooth it ran. Although I would probably have a different opinion if I knew was 144hz or Gsync is like. Maybe I should keep those a mystery or just dive in and buy the Acer X34 from Newegg when they get more stock. I'm going to Microcenter and Frys tomorrow to see if they got any ultrawide's or even 144hz / Gsync monitors on display.

Yeah I was also even considering going with a 1080p 144hz, but I got two 980 Ti's just so I could run ultrawide smooth. When I first found out about ultrawide monitors in June, I was instantly sold. Now doing some thinking its hard to decide. I'm wondering If I should just go with my rule when taking a test.. the first answer you choose is usually the right one haha. Spending $1300 on a gaming monitor is pretty nuts. I'm considering just getting that LG 34UC87C. I played a lot of Battlefront beta and I was stunned by how amazing the game looked and I was satisfied with how smooth it ran. Although I would probably have a different opinion if I knew was 144hz or Gsync is like. Maybe I should keep those a mystery or just dive in and buy the Acer X34 from Newegg when they get more stock. I'm going to Microcenter and Frys tomorrow to see if they got any ultrawide's or even 144hz / Gsync monitors on display.

I'm also in So Cal. Who knows if you're going to the same Microcenter and Fry's I do, but the ones I go to, if I remember correctly, I think they each had at least a few Ultrawides on display. And I'm 95% positive they have the Gsync 144hz monitors on display as well. I think Fry's had a bigger display though.

Let me know how the search goes though, I'm curious!

Very interesting; i'm also looking at a monitor upgrade and have the decision.  My choices are;

• LG 34UM95  3440 x 1440  -  Cheaper alternative to the LG 34UC87C.  Linus raved about these aspect ratio monsters and would like to use them for general productivity.
  • ASUS PG278Q  2560x1440 - OR so I want the butter?  Unleash the pure gamer option.

Time to brush up on my tech knowledge in this area to aid a decision, I'll be following this thread very carefully.

Very interesting; i'm also looking at a monitor upgrade and have the decision.  My choices are;

• LG 34UM95  3440 x 1440  -  Cheaper alternative to the LG 34UC87C.  Linus raved about these aspect ratio monsters and would like to use them for general productivity.
  • ASUS PG278Q  2560x1440 - OR so I want the butter?  Unleash the pure gamer option.

Time to brush up on my tech knowledge in this area to aid a decision, I'll be following this thread very carefully.

The Asus PG279Q is apparently releasing this month I've heard. If you were going that route, I'd wait since it would be the IPS Version of it with the 165hz refresh!

Ultrawide is the way to go if you not looking for 144Hz or G-Sync. I just got a Dell 34" Ultrawide this past weekend and I'm in love with it. Gaming at this resolution is insane and I don't think I could ever go back to 16:9 as a daily. I have a 24" 1080p next to it and it's so mediocre now!

That is brilliant advice thank! 

The Asus PG279Q is apparently releasing this month I've heard. If you were going that route, I'd wait since it would be the IPS Version of it with the 165hz refresh!

Aand to you Twitchstick!

Ultrawide is the way to go if you not looking for 144Hz or G-Sync. I just got a Dell 34" Ultrawide this past weekend and I'm in love with it. Gaming at this resolution is insane and I don't think I could ever go back to 16:9 as a daily. I have a 24" 1080p next to it and it's so mediocre now!

Both Asus (PG348Q) and Acer (X34) are releasing 1440p ultrawide with GSYNC.

The only thing 1440p ultrawide with display port 1.2 won't be able to achieve is 144hz.

Acer can reach 100hz with its GSYNC module.

Preliminary information for Asus is it will reach 100hz also but we are waiting on the release of official specs to conclude.

Just a heads up for people watching this thread. I wont be able to go to Frys and Microcenter until tomorrow (Thursday).

I'm also gaming on 3440x1440, the curved Dell. I'm in love with it, to be quite honest.

Tell me, how is the image? I mean do you Se more on the sides compare to a normal 1080 screen or those the image stretch out to fill out the screen? I've been playing on

3x1080 monitors in surround for awhile and its great but the total angle of 3 27 inch monitors can get annoying for the neck but you Se soooo much more in game.

Just a heads up for people watching this thread. I wont be able to go to Frys and Microcenter until tomorrow (Thursday).

Thanks for letting us know :)