PC steaming on a home LAN

d510r9
I'm not sure if a solution exists, but I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable guys or girls could help.

Setup

Room 1: Home office with tower PC (i7 and GTX970) used for work and gaming
Room 2: Home theater setup with a 1080p projector and sound system, PS4/Xbox/Apple TV etc, but no PC
Connectivity: WiFi, and semi-wired LAN via Power-line adapters (quick test Write: 62Mbps, Read: 23Mbps).

I would like to move my tower PC from room 1 to room 2 so I can use it for gaming with my home theater setup, but continue to access & control it from my home office for work and lighter gaming (on a 1080p monitor). 

The upcoming Steam Link lets you send 1080p gaming to another screen at home (with mouse keyboard etc control), but I think this only lets you stream games rather than the entire desktop/Microsoft office/programs etc. (and would require me to keep the tower in the office. Is there a similar device to the steam link that lets you access the entire windows desktop/programs/steam? If not, is the next option a low powered mini PC which you remote connect to the tower PC?

Many thanks for any help/advice

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Case: NZXT H440

What you're looking for is called a remote desktop. Windows has one built in (mstsc.exe) but there are others too. Like Teamviewer

I'm guessing I want something similar-ish to the steam link power wise but that I will need to buy/install a windows license on etc. and then use remote connect?

Would plugging an Intel Compute Stick directly into my office monitor be an option?

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Case: NZXT H440

I'm guessing I want something similar-ish to the steam link power wise but that I will need to buy/install a windows license on etc. and then use remote connect?

Would plugging an Intel Compute Stick directly into my office monitor be an option?

The Windows remote desktop requires a Windows computer to run but Teamviewer run on phones too. The compute stick is fine too if you prefer a separate device.

here is what you are looking for:

http://store.steampowered.com/universe/link

on another note, steam in home streaming sucks on wifi and powerline, this is from personale experience, you will barely be able to stream 720p with medium to good reception on both, Iknow its a pain but I suggest wiring ethernet, I got around to it and the difference is wow..... just mindblowing, in home streaming feels local

Steamlink all the way for this solution. 

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||