Light's L16 camera challenges DSLRs with 16 lenses in one package

XTankSlayerX

21960386720_80b46dd060_c.jpg

Photography startup Light has launched L16, which the company's calling a "a multi-aperture computational camera," at the Code/Mobile conference. It's named L16, because it's equipped with 16 individual lenses, though unlike bulky and heavy DSLRs, Recode says it's just about the size of a Nexus 6 that's double the thickness. When you take a picture using the camera, all 16 lenses capture photos simultaneously at different focal lengths in order to "capture more data in every shot." Light's technology then combines all of them into a single 52-megapixel image -- you can adjust the photo's depth of field, focus and exposure after it's been captured.

The L16 runs on Android and has built-in WiFi, allowing you to post pictures directly from the device. It comes with an integrated 35mm-150mm optical zoom and a five-inch touchscreen display. If you think you'll be able to save money switching to this from an entry-level or mid-range DSLR, though, you're sadly mistaken. It might not cost as much as high-end cameras, but it'll still set you back $1,299 when you pre-order from today until November 6th from Light's website. When it starts shipping in the summer of 2016, you'll have to shell out $1,699 to get one. 

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/08/lights-l16-camera/

Light website: https://light.co/

First reaction will probably be... What the hell is that...

It's a point N Shoot with a bunch of sensors and lenses, That takes a picture and then stitches it together to create 52MP Pictures.

It's also the first multi-apeture computational camera, so it trades in expensive lenses and camera sensors for a computer that can stitch all the pictures taken into a picture...

There's a screen on the back, and it has a seemingly basic IO. It has a loop for a strap on the right and a rubberised grip as well.

Although it seems like it's in its early prototype stages they claim it will be water and dust resistant. It's set to currently come with 128GB on on board storage, but the spec is likely to change when they announce the final spec in spring 2016. 

The L16's minimum focus is 10 cm at wide angle (35mm) and 1m at telephoto (150mm), whatever that means...

You can register for a review unit (@LinusTech) here: http://support.light.co/hc/en-us/articles/205749343-Can-I-get-a-review-unit-

Here's an example picture... You can look at more here: http://light.co/gallery

gallery_image_10.jpg

I hope they filmed that on the light. I believe Tek Syndicate said it could shoot 4k. If they didn't kinda ruins the video for me... If it was, there were some points were the video was pretty noisy/artifacty/pixelated, so I think users may want to stick to videos with a relatively short "lens."

I like good humans and good food

i believe video still uses only one camera tho...

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

i believe video still uses only one camera tho...

Yeah, I think you set the camera to whatever lens you want to shoot on and are locked on that as soon as you start recording.

I like good humans and good food

rather then focusing on having one good lense of high quality they go with taking as much data as possible and number crunching it

oooooooh. future.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

It's not true 52mp, and it also only uses 10 of the 16 lens at once. @OP you should probably add this to to the original post as it is kinda important info.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

U WOT

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Can you control ISO and shutter speed like on regular DSLR's? If not, even more meh

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

well good luck trying to get a good DOF with a tiny sensor...

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Not particularly impressed tbh, some awful ISO noise artifacting even in good light, some images show large amounts of over sharpening, and others have compression artifacts and noticeable aliasing and what looks like moire patterns in others.

Give me a single large sensor with a good set of lenses any day over tonnes of shit lenses and a bunch of piss poor sensors.

This stinks of "Ooh, we can cram loads of sensors onto a device to make it thinner! Look how thin it is! Much better than those bulky DSLR's! Forget image quality, forget everything that the last 180+ years of photography has taught us, let's cram all the camera phone sensors to make it as thin as possible. LOOK AT HOW THIN IT IS!! AND CHECK OUT THE MEGAPIXELS, IT HAS ALL THE MEGAPIXELS!!!! AND IT'S THIN! DID WE MENTION IT'S THIN? CAUSE IT'S THIN!"

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Im more interested in lytros light field tech

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii