Duplicating HDD

Gregrs

I'm trying to duplicate my HDD, and this thing has been sitting like this for like 20 minutes. It's transferring different files, yes. But is it supposed to take this long?

post-251457-0-35821200-1444772786.png

Yes and no. It's not supposed to take a long time but it's normal if it does.

If it's not going anywhere, you can always soft cancel the process, let it finalize, copy everything again and opt not to overwrite existing files.

If you actually want to duplicate a hard drive you're best off using a live linux distro and the dd command. Simply copying files does not retain the partition table, or bootloader and thus will not work for duplicating a system drive and making the new one bootable. A reference on the dd command here and a live linux distro with partition tools here.

If you're just duplicating a data drive than copying files within windows is fine. From the looks of things it's probably stuck because of file permissions or a corrupt sector and you may have to run checkdisk before trying the copy again.

Many many small files will take longer than larger files. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!