Budget/Mid-Range Project Build

BearOnAShark

Hi guys, I am planning to build a new productivity/light gaming pc. As I have a big glass panel on my old desk I was thinking of building a housing for it and put my build in it.

I was thinking about those parts :

CPU: AMD FX-8320

MotherBoard : MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM : 8Gb of some cheap good Memory (DDR3-1600) (From a good brand)

Main storage : 120Gb SSD (Already Got It fom an old build)  [Might swith to 2x 500Gb SSD in Raid 0]

Data Storage : 1Tb or 2Tb 7200RPM Hard Drive (Or my 7200RPM 1TB from my current laptop)

Video Card : GTX 960 or GTX 970

Case : Thinking of making it my self (Computer inside the desk)
Power Supply : 750W modular 80+ plus Gold

Monitor : I think to start with my Sony 24inch Ps3 TV (3D), but swapping it for a 34 or 29 inch Ultrawide monitor

I already have :

Headset : Siberia V2

Mouse : Logitech G500s

Keyboard : Roccat ISKU

What do you think of this build? And what are the pros and cons of using no case and putting the build inside the desk?

get an i5 instead of an 8320 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

i5 4460 or 4690k if you want to OC (remember to go z97 if you OC)

960 or AMD equivalent is fine for "light" gaming. Depends on what you're doing.

PSU could be a bit smaller if you want, but you can't really go wrong with a bigger capacity as long as you're willing to pay.

Also, PCPartPicker? :)

I would say about 1000CAD at max, I was thinking of the 8320 for the cheap price/performance ratio and dowsn't need that much power.

I prefer AMD on this type of build. But i can always use a more powerfull AMD CPU, like the 8350 or the 9370.

For the psu, I know I don't need that much power, but for the price it's like 5$ more than a 600W or a 650W and I want to update my setup with time.

AMD CPUs have very poor price to performance right now.  A cheaper Intel will crush the AMD on anything but heavily multithreaded workflows and typically if you have such a workflow it's worth it to consider an i7 or a couple of the Xeon offerings even if they cost slightly more.  

I dont want to spend more than 250$ on my processor and as I say, I only do light gaming i dont need to run the game on Ultra at 1080p if i can run it in 720p on low i'm fine with that.

I will mainly do word processing, excel, light programming.