Unraid...With 1 GPU?

baxtmann

Hey,

does anyone know if i can use unraid to host 2 VM's with only 1 gpu?

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

nope.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

No if you pass through hardware to a VM, only that VM has access to it. (The host/Hypervisor does not). 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

But I could do 1vm with it right?

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

But I could do 1vm with it right?

No, the point of KVM virtualization is passing through hardware to create a full blown machine with no or little overhead. Virtualbox may serve your needs.. but don't expect to due anything 3d work or gaming. 

Hey,

does anyone know if i can use unraid to host 2 VM's with only 1 gpu?

you will be fine, you wont be able to use IOMMU with the GPU. so no real 3d Acceleration, you'll need to RDP/SSH into the VMs (unless you can configure unRAID to run headless and then pass the GPU to one of the VMs - possible as you configure most of unRAID via a http portal). basically you wont be able to do anything like linus' video on vessal.

ok,i just need to be able to have both of them running, but i only need to see one of them at a time

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.  A GPU can only be in use by one VM at a time.  So if you needed to have two VMs running at the same time, one could have the GPU whereas the other would use virtual graphics, and you could remote into it using either VNC or Microsoft RDP (if you created a Windows VM).  That said, you could later shutdown your first VM with the GPU, then assign that GPU to the second VM, and turn it back on.  Now the second VM would have the GPU.