Microsoft says FU to Mobile Operators regarding updates

jos

“Microsoft is working closely with mobile operators to leverage their testing and our flighting to meet and exceed current quality bars. We will use their input but will decide when to send the updates out based on input form Mobile Operators and our Windows Insiders.”

“The optimum way to ensure our customers are running the best Windows is to get them the latest updates for Windows 10. Delivering Windows 10 as a service means we can offer ongoing security updates, new features and capabilities – we’d like to make sure people can get access to the latest Windows 10 updates as soon as they are available.

Microsoft will from now on be pushing Windows Phone updates directly. The carriers will be in the loop and doing some testing along with insiders, but Microsoft is the one with complete control here over when the updates roll out.

Android updates are handled. After Google releases a new Android build, the carriers test it and then send it out themselves. With this method, Android users have to wait for each carrier to be satisfied before the update is disseminated. Since some carriers take longer to test updates than others, the result is an unbalanced process. Different owners of the same phone could have their handsets running on different builds of the same OS at the same time, depending on which carrier they subscribe to. It is this uneven experience that Microsoft is looking to avoid.

This is a good move on part of Microsoft. even he device manufacturers have no say.. All updates direct from microsoft.. All security fixes, new features and allways updaed OS, unlike android..

Recently HTC told for android they wont provide security updates. But i guess this is the way forward.. windows is getting more promising..

With recent stagefright 1 and 2 almost all devices are vulnerable and the manufacturers refusing to update the handset puts android in a tough position.. moreover you need to be in 18 months to even get security patch update... but with windows you can get till there is windows 10 and according to microsoft this is going to be the last windows,, at east you can expect updates for next 5 years..

Another report has told 87% android devices are vulnerable.

thanks @GoodBytes, @TheCMan

Source.

Yes this work because of their tiny market share and number of different devices to support and carriers that officially sell them. Multiply this by about a fucking Billion and they'd be crumbling just like Google is.

Yet the solution is so simple: Fuck carrier permission.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The tile of your post isn't intriguing enough.

Here is maybe a more interesting title "Microsoft avoids Mobile Operators"

Here is click baity titles "Microsoft says FU to Mobile Operators" or "Microsoft to Mobile Operators: "SCREW YOU""

The tile of your post isn't intriguing enough.

Here is a good title "Microsoft says FU to Mobile Operators" or "Microsoft to Mobile Operators: "SCREW YOU""

It's called click bait because it's something intriguing to click on but that's what you want. You're trying to tell people about the news. So, you need people to want to view it first. Nothing wrong with click bait if the title is true to the story.

That's horrible advice. Awful, in fact. You should never resort to click bait topics or names. The OP title could be reworked, but you can do so without making it click bait.

COMIC SANS

good.

I think android has a terrible long term support and keeping devices up to date. if its not a nexus its not getting updates.

Had* The s3 is still suported. Released in 2012

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Soooo... Like how Apple handles iOS updates? Good. I laugh every time I see the "supported devices" section come up on Android updates from their respective phone manufacturers. Samsung won't update any phone made before the Galaxy S5 to Marshmallow, which means everything made before 2014 is boned. Meanwhile, Apple releases iOS 9 for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, devices with 2011 hardware. Now THAT'S some support right there.

Ye ole' train

Yes this work because of their tiny market share and number of different devices to support and carriers that officially sell them. Multiply this by about a fucking Billion and they'd be crumbling just like Google is.

Yet the solution is so simple: Fuck carrier permission.

Assuming their distribution platform is in any way sane, then it doesnt matter how many phones they have to support, the code base is the same, its just what its compiled to, and which drivers it has to include. Code up your distribution well, and you can cover infinite devices over infinite locales

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Had* The s3 is still suported. Released in 2012

yes some phones have good support but their are far more that don't. I feel WP is in the middle of being to lock down (iOS) and being to open (android).

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

That's horrible advice. Awful, in fact. You should never resort to click bait topics or names. The OP title could be reworked, but you can do so without making it click bait.

LOL, there is nothing wrong with trying to make the title more appealing to your audience as long as it's relevant to the actual article.

It's the same with naming anything. Name a song on a Muse album "Muse song #1" and it just sounds so dull. Name the same song "Knight of Cydonia" and it becomes much more intriguing to listen to.

Name the most powerful hero group in Marvel Comics "Super Hero Group" and they sound supper dumb. Name the group "The Avengers" and now they become something interesting just from the name.

Have an article "Iphone 6s and 6s+ memory" talking about how fast the memory is in the iphone and I wouldn't care one bit about the article cuz who cares about the memory.

Call the same article "Fastest smartphone memory is in the iphone?" I would click that in a heart beat.

First impressions do matter in these cases. You must intrigue your audience.

I bet if I said something like this and didn't say the words "Click Bait" you wouldn't have cared either. I called it click bait which often refers to naming a article something crazy so people will click on it but then the article has either nothing to do with the title or is a super lame article and the title exaggerated everything. Not what I mean for him to do with his title. Just jazz it up a bit.

I just want @jos to make the title sound more interesting then "Windows 10 Mobile update policy" cuz that sounds super lame.

"Microsoft avoids Mobile Operators" "Windows 10 mobile ignores mobile operators" "Microsoft says FU to mobile operators"   Now these sound more interesting

LOL, there is nothing wrong with trying to make the title more appealing to your audience as long as it's relevant to the actual article.

It's the same with naming anything. Name a song on a Muse album "Muse song #1" and it just sounds so dull. Name the same song "Knight of Cydonia" and it becomes much more intriguing to listen to.

Name the most powerful hero group in Marvel Comics "Super Hero Group" and they sound supper dumb. Name the group "The Avengers" and now they become something interesting just from the name.

Have an article "Iphone 6s and 6s+ memory" talking about how fast the memory is in the iphone and I wouldn't care one bit about the article cuz who cares about the memory.

Call the same article "Fastest smartphone memory is in the iphone?" I would click that in a heart beat.

First impressions do matter in these cases. You must intrigue your audience.

I bet if I said something like this and didn't say the words "Click Bait" you wouldn't have cared either. I called it click bait which often refers to naming a article something crazy so people will click on it but then the article has either nothing to do with the title or is a super lame article and the title exaggerated everything. Not what I mean for him to do with his title. Just jazz it up a bit.

I just want @jos to make the title sound more interesting then "Windows 10 Mobile update policy" cuz that sounds super lame.

"Microsoft avoids Mobile Operators" "Windows 10 mobile ignores mobile operators" "Microsoft says FU to mobile operators"   Now these sound more interesting

You do know who you're talking to, right? I hate to pull this card, but you know I have this badge for a reason, right?

You're twisting what I'm saying around. I agreed with you earlier that it wouldn't hurt to make the title of this thread a little more intriguing, but you can about that without turning it into click bait. Click bait titles, like you're suggesting (Microsoft says FU to mobile operators, for example), are infuriating to read. Click bait is sensational. It's completely different from having an intriguing title. 

Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks. Clickbait headlines typically aim to exploit the "curiosity gap", providing just enough information to make the reader curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

It's a horrible practice and should die quickly. You essentially want people to post like Buzzfeed, and I can guarantee you on LTT you will get backlash if you do that. Trust me, I know, from the whole one or two times I've done it.

COMIC SANS

You do know who you're talking to, right? I hate to pull this card, but you know I have this badge for a reason, right?

You're twisting what I'm saying around. I agreed with you earlier that it wouldn't hurt to make the title of this thread a little more intriguing, but you can about that without turning it into click bait. Click bait titles, like you're suggesting (Microsoft says FU to mobile operators, for example), are infuriating to read. Click bait is sensational. It's completely different from having an intriguing title. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

It's a horrible practice and should die quickly. You essentially want people to post like Buzzfeed, and I can guarantee you on LTT you will get backlash if you do that. Trust me, I know, from the whole one or two times I've done it.

OK OK maybe the "Microsoft says FU to Mobile Operators" is a lil click baity. In a way it's true though. LOL

I changed what I originally said to OP.

What would you suggest he names the article? I thought of "Microsoft avoids Mobile Operators" what else could it be named?

yes some phones have good support but their are far more that don't. I feel WP is in the middle of being to lock down (iOS) and being to open (android).

Yeah, but support is really not needed. The technology jump from 2010 to 2015 is massive. considering the iphone 6s is faster in geekbench than my cpu. (singlecore perf). 8370 got 2282 while the a9 got 2522 which is very impressive. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Why Google doesn't already do that is strange.
Some carriers may never even send out the updates, be they OS or Security updates, leaving devices vulnerable.

I say good on Microsoft to completely disregard scumbag carriers who refuse to service "older devices" to sell you the latest phones.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yeah, but support is really not needed. The technology jump from 2010 to 2015 is massive. considering the iphone 6s is faster in geekbench than my cpu. (singlecore perf). 8370 got 2282 while the a9 got 2522 which is very impressive. 

some phone loss support after 6 months or less. and some people want to be able to buy a phone and have it last 2 years with updates to it. their are plenty of android smartphones that do not get major security fixs because of bad support.

some phone loss support after 6 months or less. and some people want to be able to buy a phone and have it last 2 years with updates to it. their are plenty of android smartphones that do not get major security fixs because of bad support.

Yeah. but thats not really any fault of android. More the fault of manufacturers. 

Yeah. but thats not really any fault of android. More the fault of manufacturers. 

Its still a problem that is not really being addressed by google. It brings a negative image to the android brand.

Assuming their distribution platform is in any way sane, then it doesnt matter how many phones they have to support, the code base is the same, its just what its compiled to, and which drivers it has to include. Code up your distribution well, and you can cover infinite devices over infinite locales

Big assumptions: Nobody but Apple can assure that. Windows it's tiny in market share and also in the number of devices and henceforth hardware it needs to support vs Android which has to work on literally hundreds of different brands and tens of thousands of different hardware configurations if not more.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not really a problem, I buy unlocked and custom ROMs ftw (currently on resurrection remix)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This is great and ties in with this news, I reported: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/464452-microsoft-new-lumia-950950xl-why-att-only-and-why-no-canadian-carriers-the-phones-has-a-universal-radio-works-with-almost-all-carriers/

So while awesome, many carriers aren't happy, and don't want to offer the Windows Phone. So you have to buy it directly from Microsoft, if you want the carrier that has it. The good news, is that the Lumia 950/950XL has a universal modem. Works with almost all carriers world wide with a fairly modern network.

So...as long as Windows 10 mobile has an e-reader that's as good or almost as good as Coolreader its going to be a far better choice than Android for me (though I'll still buy a cheap and lightweight android tablet for e-reading at home).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Doesn't matter, it shows an issue with Android. The phone, ideally needs to be like a PC. You don't need Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc, approve every single Windows Update/service packs/and sub version OS release. This non sense! Phone should be the same. You also don't need you ISP to approve anything. What Apple and now Microsoft is doing is the right way. Ideally it would have an update system like in Windows, but this is an excellent first and right step.

I hope that Windows 10 Mobile gain more traction to put pressure on Google and carriers that this crap has to stop, and updates are delivered properly to all users, as soon as possible.

This might interest you guys and @jos might want to put this in his thread.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/university-of-cambridge-study-finds-87-of-android-devices-are-insecure/

~87% of Android phone are insecure.

A Cambridge University research.

That's to be expected though with the way OEM and telco have fragmented it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Doesn't matter, it shows an issue with Android. The phone, ideally needs to be like a PC. You don't need Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc, approve every single Windows Update/service packs/and sub version OS release. This non sense! Phone should be the same. You also don't need you ISP to approve anything. What Apple and now Microsoft is doing is the right way. Ideally it would have an update system like in Windows, but this is an excellent first and right step.

I hope that Windows 10 Mobile gain more traction to put pressure on Google and carriers that this crap has to stop, and updates are delivered properly to all users, as soon as possible.

If you were buying PCs like people buy cell phones they would. Get your PC free with a 2 year bloated service contract from your ISP, you think they aren't going to FORCE bloat, security software, and decide what gets updated and when? What about TVs? Get your new 50" Smart TV for free or a 65" for 200 with a 5 year contract from Comcast, you think there aren't going to be cell phone style headaches whenever systems like that are in place? Heck just in cable boxes, smart TVs, and routers you DO have those issues, bad leases, no updates, security holes, bad hardware, bad service, bad support, etc.

Who here buys unlocked phones at full price and can legitimately say they have a phone with no update options?

Playing a little devil's advocate, but the problem is multi-tiered and it is unfortunately a fractured and faceted pogrom with no real leadership. Where does the buck stop? Carriers? Consumers? Manufacturers? OS designers? Cell phones may never reach the level of standardization and market wide interoperablility that PC's have attained. IS it really fair to hold them to that industry's standard? They are super advanced but cell phones are still in the Commodore, Atari, and Tandy phase. It's a melee. The PC industry had decades of upheaval, conglomeration, and development to get to this point. You kind of have to go through the bad old days of bespoke custom Compaq hardware to get to the golden age of ATX, PCIe, and interchangeable parts.

For other industries it often took even longer.