Finding details about laptop

Froger96

hey guys, i recently got a laptop, and i want to upgrade my hard drive to an SSHD, and potentially my ram to 8Gb. but i don't know how to find out what size drives my laptop can fit, how to find ram that fits my laptop, and if the warranty will be void from removing the back, and what you think the best way to clone the drive is the OS is pre installed and if it is lost i can't get it back.

thanks, Josh

edit: its a lenovo Yoga 500 14IBD 80N4

hey guys, i recently got a laptop, and i want to upgrade my hard drive to an SSHD, and potentially my ram to 8Gb. but i don't know how to find out what size drives my laptop can fit, how to find ram that fits my laptop, and if the warranty will be void from removing the back, and what you think the best way to clone the drive is the OS is pre installed and if it is lost i can't get it back.

thanks, Josh

Normally you will not lose warranty upgrading the hard drive, but that is down to the specific manufacturer, if there is now warranty void sticker you will be ok, but check the manual, - but yeah hard drives and ram are 99% fine to upgrade without voiding as they are user serviceable

I would just go full blown SSD if you can, SSHDs are not great

You can "clone" your drive onto the new one, so you dont have to reinstall anything/lose the OS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There's typically a sticker over one of the screws if the warranty will be void.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

ok, so i attached to the original post what i think the model number is specifically, but i think i can upgrade it as there are no stickers.

also, SSD is to expensive as i think i need 512Gb as its needs to store photos and video, and a lot of it sometimes, and i don't want to carry around an external drive that much.

but how can i find the ram that is compatible with my model, and what size SSD's or SSHD's i can fit

I would just go full blown SSD if you can, SSHDs are not great

ok, so i attached to the original post what i think the model number is specifically, but i think i can upgrade it as there are no stickers.

also, SSD is to expensive as i think i need 512Gb as its needs to store photos and video, and a lot of it sometimes, and i don't want to carry around an external drive that much.

but how can i find the ram that is compatible with my model, and what size SSD's or SSHD's i can fit

I dunno you can get 500gbb SSDs for around (or sometimes less than) £100,

if you check the manufacturers site you should be able to find out, most laptop drives are 7mm, some are 9mm especially 1tb drives etc, the one installed is mostly likely a 7mm drive

ram, any DDR 3 laptop memory will work, any SSD will fit, and most hard drives

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/?gclid=CObQ9YzKv8gCFQEMaQodVt4F4Q&cm_mmc=google-_-us-_-brand-_-null&ef_id=Vh0DGwAABEWkPeHc:20151013134330:s

Download this.

It will let you know what SSD and RAM that is compatible with the system.

Don't go for SSHD, lol. Go for SSD or mSATA SSD which it is cheaper than SSD IMO.

Found a MyDigitalSSD for 256GB with 500 Write and Read for around $80-$100 dollar. Although it uses Sandforce driver which it has a lot of bad reputation, I prefer it because it is still fast and I don't see any problem with it. :P 

If your laptop support mSATA, then you can slap a OS and Programs on it and use you HDD for storing pictures, movies, musics, files, etc. 

I dunno you can get 500gbb SSDs for around (or sometimes less than) £100,

if you check the manufacturers site you should be able to find out, most laptop drives are 7mm, some are 9mm especially 1tb drives etc, the one installed is mostly likely a 7mm drive

ram, any DDR 3 laptop memory will work, any SSD will fit, and most hard drives

its all to expensive, i would either get 256gb SSD or 500GBb SSHD

no mSata, and im trusting you with the ram.

Don't go for SSHD, lol. Go for SSD or mSATA SSD which it is cheaper than SSD IMO.

Found a MyDigitalSSD for 256GB with 500 Write and Read for around $80-$100 dollar. Although it uses Sandforce driver which it has a lot of bad reputation, I prefer it because it is still fast and I don't see any problem with it. :P

If your laptop support mSATA, then you can slap a OS and Programs on it and use you HDD for storing pictures, movies, musics, files, etc. 

i will consider getting a 256Gb ssd

SSD all the way, ram is ram, again you should be able to find whats supported, just get some 1600 mhz ddr3 and it will be fine

Well, again, it depend if your laptop support the mSATA slot.

If it does, then you are in luck. You can have both mSATA SSD AND HDD (if your laptop comes with HDD first) rather replacing your HDD for SSD.

By the way, what is your laptop model so we can check it for you. 

Well, again, it depend if your laptop support the mSATA slot.

If it does, then you are in luck. You can have both mSATA SSD AND HDD (if your laptop comes with HDD first) rather replacing your HDD for SSD.

By the way, what is your laptop model so we can check it for you. 

lenovo Yoga 500 14IBD 80N4

i think it is that

thank you

lenovo Yoga 500 14IBD 80N4

i think it is that

thank you

I tried to Google it, and I can't find any info if it it support mSATA.

Can you open the laptop to see if there is a free PCI-E slot that is sort of next to RAM or your Wireless card?

not right now, i'd rather do it once, and that is when i intend to put the ram and SSD in, but there is this.

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-lenovo-yoga-500-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/ 

Hmm, it seems like there is no slot for it. QQ

Well, probably the best bet is grab a 256GB SSD rather 512GB SSD.

You should have a left over storage for some music, storage, files, movies, etc., after OS and Programs/Software. 

but the thing is, i do lots of high bit rate video work and RAW photography, so i use up a lot of space, but portable hard drives are just, i dunno, it gets in the way. but would you say i should just get the 256gb ssd and then a portable hard drive?

but the thing is, i do lots of high bit rate video work and RAW photography, so i use up a lot of space, but portable hard drives are just, i dunno, it gets in the way. but would you say i should just get the 256gb ssd and then a portable hard drive?

It is better IMO.

Not only that, you can also backup the pictures and videos. 

The portable HDD can store ton of pictures and videos.