Bought a tier 3 psu, does it matter compared to tier 1?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

E-mail them with what you want to do, that you bought a wrong one, it's not enough for your build and if can you get the EVGA, if they agree for some reason send it to them via post office.

Is there one closer? there are like 10 on their site (just looked)

Maybe call them up and see if they can ship out the new one and you can return yours when it arrives, any reasonable retailer would do this if you ask nicely

I hope one of these work. I might actually want to go SLI later so..

I bought a rm550 on the spot for my pc for $160 which was the biggest rip off in history. I could have gotten the evga 750 g2 for the same exact price and I can't stop thinking about it. The evga has 10 years warranty and is tier 1. I've never been so bothered about a purchase but this one really annoys me. I thought about trying to take it back in exchange for the evga but i dont think retailers like when you just change your mind. Anyways I need to find a way to get over it?

Even though I don't overclock at all I still feel bad for not getting the evga (was out of stock at the time, couldnt wait) but yeah this happens a lot when I start thinking future proofing to myself, how can I stop regretting it - the rm550 is fucking fine for my build... (FX 4300, HD 7850, going to get 4790k/390)

I bought a rm550 on the spot for my pc for $160 which was the biggest rip off in history. I could have gotten the evga 750 g2 for the same exact price and I can't stop thinking about it. The evga has 10 years warranty and is tier 1. I've never been so bothered about a purchase but this one really annoys me. I thought about trying to take it back in exchange for the evga but i dont think retailers like when you just change your mind. Anyways I need to find a way to get over it?

Even though I don't overclock at all I still feel bad for not getting the evga (was out of stock at the time, couldnt wait) but yeah this happens a lot when I start thinking future proofing to myself, how can I stop regretting it - the rm550 is fucking fine for my build... (FX 4300, HD 7850, going to get 4790k/390)

Why did you buy the RM550? Why? Just pls, tell me why. Why man?

Patience is virtue. You should have waited and bought the EVGA.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Why did you buy the RM550? Why? Just pls, tell me why. Why man?

Patience is virtue. You should have waited and bought the EVGA.

I COULDN'T WAIT

if you don't mind your psu dying in 2 years or less and maybe taking your motherboard with it...keep it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Yeah. The RM ain't bad but it's no G2 either. Can you sell it for close to what you paid and get the G2? Otherwise try to return it. Have you opened the box? If it's still sealed it's a much easier process. If you've opened it, I doubt that they'll take it back without an RMA.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

corsair RM is more than fine, they get dropped lower in quality mostly because of a thing with the 24-pin connector not getting power on all pins - which is only an issue with a select few quite old motherboards.

that, and RM making use of some lower quality caps, but well... i recently opened up a HP power supply, i dont think cheapo caps dont matter all that much if garbage like that reliably makes it past the 10 year mark...

Yeah. The RM ain't bad but it's no G2 either. Can you sell it for close to what you paid and get the G2? Otherwise try to return it. Have you opened the box? If it's still sealed it's a much easier process. If you've opened it, I doubt that they'll take it back without an RMA.

opened it. its used for a week now

if you don't mind your psu dying in 2 years or less and maybe taking your motherboard with it...keep it

this sounds extreme.

SNIP

Just go exchange it, just say you bought the wrong one and need the other, I dont know many retailers that wont exchange a product

Then again, its just a PSU it will probably be fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just go exchange it, just say you bought the wrong one and need the other, I dont know many retailers that wont exchange a product

Just a PSU - the heart of your pc?

Anyways what if I can't get there for a couple weeks?

Yeah, its not like you bought some cheap chinese brown box piece of trash, which I wouldnt even want to touch let alone turn on, teir 3 psus are fine, just people get super anal

heck if those piece of shit PSUs inside prebuilt HPs and stuff can last 5 years, so can a Corsair RM

Where did you buy it from? mail it back for an exchange? or visit a local branch?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, its not like you bought some cheap chinese brown box piece of trash, which I wouldnt even want to touch let alone turn on, teir 3 psus are fine, just people get super anal

heck if those piece of shit PSUs inside prebuilt HPs and stuff can last 5 years, so can a Corsair RM

Where did you buy it from? mail it back for an exchange? or visit a local branch?

Umart, I drove there, but might not be able to for a bit

Umart, I drove there, but might not be able to for a bit

Maybe call them up and see if they can ship out the new one and you can return yours when it arrives, any reasonable retailer would do this if you ask nicely

I wouldn't worry about it, it's definitely not a fire hazard like a Raidmax. 

basicly this.

"its not because one thing is better all else is terrible"

E-mail them with what you want to do, that you bought a wrong one, it's not enough for your build and if can you get the EVGA, if they agree for some reason send it to them via post office.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I hope one of these work. I might actually want to go SLI later so..

There have been tales where the PSU has taken GPUs, motherboards, HDDs and such. 

this sounds extreme.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

There have been tales where the PSU has taken GPUs, motherboards, HDDs and such. 

Sure but its rare, and unlikely, and I even said I would go and exchange it, 

Sure but its rare, and unlikely, and I even said I would go and exchange it, 

I so hope I can but its getting harder and harder to get there. Might walk there ffs if i cant live with the corsair

I so hope I can but its getting harder and harder to get there. Might walk there ffs if i cant live with the corsair

how far is it? why is it so hard to go there?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Corsair-RM-Series-550W-Power-Supply-Review/Final-Thoughts-and-Conclusions

Meh PCPer gave it a silver award, I would just use it 

RM are fine - VERY overpriced but fine.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just lack of transportation, i think a bus is a solution to this. Corsair can suck my nuts

There is nothing wrong with Corsair, in fact some of their PSUs are Tier 1 and Tier 2

Tier 3 are also classed as "good enough" "still solid"  "closer to the edges of Tier 2" etc

PSU snobbery at its finest, the only time its an issue is if its a tier 5 piece of trash that will most likely just die after a week  

There is nothing wrong with Corsair, in fact some of their PSUs are Tier 1 and Tier 2

Tier 3 are also classed as "good enough" "still solid"  "closer to the edges of Tier 2" etc

PSU snobbery at its finest, the only time its an issue is if its a tier 5 piece of trash that will most likely just die after a week  

i know this and i still cant live with the corsair? WHY?