Just a bad chip?

Hey guys! 

Noob here at overclocking! So please try to be simple when trying to help, thank you haha!

First off, let me give my system specs:

CPU: i5-3570K @4.10GHz

RAM: Corsair XMS 3 16gb 1600Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS 

Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 

COOLING: Antec Kuhler h2o 620

CASE: Raidmax Super Aeolus (5 Case Fans: 2x120mm Front Intake, 1x120mm Side intake, 2x120mm Top Exhaust, and then Back Exhaust 120mm from the CPU Cooler).

-----------------------------------------------

I ran a stress test (10 Minutes)/benchmark in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and the highest temp i got while doing that was 61C I believe. With the research I've done, some people say to stay under 75C and not go higher. Some people say you can go up to 85C, some people say even 95C. So I'm not quite sure what temp range I should stay in and I don't want to go overkill. I'm at 4.1 OC right now, with a manual voltage of 1.175V (Though it jumps up to 1.184V highest on CPU-Z).

I have idle temps while just browsing the web for example are 32C-39ishC I think. While playing Battlefield 4 or GTA V for example, I don't think it really goes about 52C-58C ever. (Highest I remember seeing is about 62C.

I pushed it to 4.3 in BIOS, since it didnt save for some reason from Intel XTU. And the voltage jumped up quite a bit (Was on auto)..I ran a test and it went to as high as 1.4V, so i immediately stopped it since i was panicking lol. 

I tried going higher to a 4.5 OC, to see how it would go (Using manual voltages), but I couldn't even seem to get into windows at that clock, even with increased voltage. I believe I went up to 1.310V, and it still would not go into windows. I wasn't sure how high to keep going, since my temps under load are maxing out at about 62C as of now at a 4.1, and I was worried about messing with voltages too much. Though I seem to be even having trouble trying to get it to 4.3 at lower voltages.

I ran a stress test in XTU also for 5 minutes. Voltages went up and down of course, but they ranged from 1.256V-1.284V and the max temperature was 72C (Overclock is at 4.3) I ran a 5 minute stress test in OCCT as well for 5 minutes, and the hottest it got there was about 78C (Which kinda scares me lol). (Can't remember what the manual voltage was I put it at).

Should I just keep this OC at 4.1? I'm assuming this OC I have right now is safe, but what do you pros recommend to this noob? Guide me oh great ones!

Sorry if I was confusing in any way, and hopefully you can help me out! If you need anymore information let me know please! 

Alright try 1.95 VRIN and 1.325v Vcore and see what it does, if adding a bit of vrin doesn't help you have a poopy chip.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

One thing I can say is that the stress test is actually not going to give you the highest temps.  I found running the benchmark in XTU got it hotter (in spikes) so watch out for that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Alright try 1.95 VRIN and 1.325v Vcore and see what it does, if adding a bit of vrin doesn't help you have a poopy chip.

Can you explain to me what the VRIN is? I don't even have the slightest clue of what that is, or what safe voltages should be for that. And I'm assuming I'd find that somewhere in the BIOS to change still right?

And as far as Vcore goes, set it manual to 1.325? I'm assuming since you mentioned it, it's a completely safe voltage? I've heard a lot of places say that you really shouldn't go above 1.3 Vcore. Never heard anything about the VRIN though.

Don't use software, OC the old fashion way via the BIOS. Also make sure you set the voltage to be constant usually called manual while stress testing. As for temps you don't want more than 85C in high stress synthetic stability testing, which your CPU will usually then run 75C or below under any normal load, 95C is TJmax and the board with shut off automatically to prevent damage to the CPU.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I got my old 3570k up to 4.2 Ghz with a CM Hyper T4 cooler and the temps stayed around 60c at 1.25v

I could've went higher but I kept blue screening but I was happy with the overclock

I think you may have a bad chip or try using the bios to overclock

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Thanks for the replies so far. And yes, I have been using BIOS to OC.

Still currently at 4.1 Ghz with a maximum Core Voltage of 1.184 according to CPU-Z. Maximum temps seem to be 61 with the XTU Stress/Benchmark Test.

I'm not too sure, it seems like it is. A lot of people seem too get to 4.5 easily. Or at least a little higher than me, at a lower voltage even.