Overclocking Problem with i7 6700k

Hello everyone,

I am trying to overclock my i7 6700k to 4.7 ghz. It was stable in Real Bench at 1.345 volts at 4.6ghz. However at 4.7 ghz it crashes immediately at 1.38 volts. Is the voltage ok for my cpu?

Maybe you just didnt do well in the silicone lottery. The voltage is a bit hiigh

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

it is called the silicon lottery for a reason, sorry m8. you could potentially return and buy a new one

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Maybe you just didnt do well in the silicone lottery. The voltage is a bit hiigh

Not for skylake!

Sounds good to me, who needs 1.35ishV for my G3258 to run at 4.5!

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Not for skylake!

you never know

you never know

No, I do know, That thing can run about 1.43 volts without chip degradation

People have hit 5GHz on air with safe voltages.

Its really not that high. 

So your saying i can keep going up on my cpu voltage?

explains why the op's cpu is crashing *slow clap* its called a silicon lottery

explains why the op's cpu is crashing *slow clap* its called a silicon lottery

Because the chip isn't getting enough power fucking idiot.

Explain why my chip boots at 5.1GHz @ 1.44 volts and not at 5.5 @ 1.44 Volts

the chip isn't getting enough power

dont jump to the fucking conclusion its the silicon lottery. Every chip can be pushed further with more volts. If your statement is true then Pro overclockers can hit 8GHz on 1.38.

So your saying i can keep going up on my cpu voltage?

yep. for haswell 1.4 is Intel's recommended max voltage, people have had numbers all over the place

Here's a voltage scaling chart a person put together.

voltage_scaling.png

dont jump to the fucking conclusion its the silicon lottery. Every chip can be pushed further with more volts. If your statement is true then Pro overclockers can hit 8GHz on 1.38.

yep. for haswell 1.4 is Intel's recommended max voltage, people have had numbers all over the place

_snip_

well retard why isnt his chip working and dont tell me tell the op fucking idiot

Anything under 1.4v is fine

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Just to clarify 1.4 is ok? I'll tell you the results later

1.4 is okay, Ideally you'd not want to go much further seeing 4.7 is set for a long-long time, especially with the newest generation of CPU's

_snip_

well retard why isnt his chip working and dont tell me tell the op. idiot. Solve his problem then

Woah, lets slow down gang. No need for the rabid insults. Instability can be caused by more than just insufficient CPU voltage. If he is running a memory XMP profile, his CPU IMC might be stressing a bit too, which can make core overclocks less stable as well. You also have to take board quality into consideration (FIVR was removed in Skylake) so if the boards VRM is bad (saggy) it could also cause instability.

All in all, its too early to judge if X voltage will degrade a CPU. We still have no evidence for Haswell yet, and its been a couple years now. There are too many variables, and not enough control. That being said, these 14nm CPU's (Broadwell AND Skylake) require more voltage from the get-go. Their stock VID is already 15% higher on average than Haswells. Going to 1.4v shouldn't (again, we don't know for 100% certainty yet, too early to tell) hurt. If you are worried about your CPU's lifespan, perhaps overclocking is not for you anyways? After all, many things can happen when overclocking. Some of which could damage your hardware beyond repair (Blowing up VRM's on boards, stressing bad PSU's to the point in which they pop, etc). 

To answer your question @chicagobears185, as long as you have adequate cooling, a decent board (and PSU), and all the temps are within safe windows, 1.38V should be fine.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Woah, lets slow down gang. No need for the rabid insults. Instability can be caused by more than just insufficient CPU voltage. If he is running a memory XMP profile, his CPU IMC might be stressing a bit too, which can make core overclocks less stable as well. You also have to take board quality into consideration (FIVR was removed in Skylake) so if the boards VRM is bad (saggy) it could also cause instability.

All in all, its too early to judge if X voltage will degrade a CPU. We still have no evidence for Haswell yet, and its been a couple years now. There are too many variables, and not enough control. That being said, these 14nm CPU's (Broadwell AND Skylake) require more voltage from the get-go. Their stock VID is already 15% higher on average than Haswells. Going to 1.4v shouldn't (again, we don't know for 100% certainty yet, too early to tell) hurt. If you are worried about your CPU's lifespan, perhaps overclocking is not for you anyways? After all, many things can happen when overclocking. Some of which could damage your hardware beyond repair (Blowing up VRM's on boards, stressing bad PSU's to the point in which they pop, etc). 

To answer your question @chicagobears185, as long as you have adequate cooling, a decent board (and PSU), and all the temps are within safe windows, 1.38V should be fine.

Thanks but at 1.4 volts it crashed 4 minutes into a stress test

Thanks but at 1.4 volts it crashed 4 minutes into a stress test

Are you using an XMP profile for your memory? Is your memory manually overclocked? If so, set your memory to the default speeds, and give it another shot. Like i said before, memory overclocking still plays a role in CPU stability.

Are you using an XMP profile for your memory? Is your memory manually overclocked? If so, set your memory to the default speeds, and give it another shot. Like i said before, memory overclocking still plays a role in CPU stability.

Wouldn't the lower memory speed offset the increase in CPU clock speed, assuming latency is the same.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Wouldn't the lower memory speed offset the increase in CPU clock speed, assuming latency is the same.

It depends on what he is after. He wants 4.7ghz to be stable, that is his apparent goal from what i can tell at this moment. If he has already overclocked his memory (or loaded an XMP profile) the additional strain on the IMC could be pushing the CPU over the edge into instability. Lowering memory speed back to defaults might get him to 4.7ghz, or it might not. If it does, then we lock that down, and move on to memory until we reach instability again. If this does not work, he will have to settle for 4.6ghz, and lower the voltage down as much as he can for 4.6 to be stable. Once he does that, he can load his memory XMP profiles, or do a manual OC on memory.

If it were me, i would be perfectly happy with 4.6ghz. Some people lose the lottery when it comes to their chip being a great overclocker, but they might also win the lottery for a chip with a strong IMC. A friend of mine has a 4790k that will only reach 4.5ghz, but he can push 2800mhz @ CL12-14-13-30-1T (1.695V memory) with the tightest secondary and tertiary timings i've ever seen (with all 4 DIMMS loaded, 32GB). 

It depends on what he is after. He wants 4.7ghz to be stable, that is his apparent goal from what i can tell at this moment. If he has already overclocked his memory (or loaded an XMP profile) the additional strain on the IMC could be pushing the CPU over the edge into instability. Lowering memory speed back to defaults might get him to 4.7ghz, or it might not. If it does, then we lock that down, and move on to memory until we reach instability again. If this does not work, he will have to settle for 4.6ghz, and lower the voltage down as much as he can for 4.6 to be stable. Once he does that, he can load his memory XMP profiles, or do a manual OC on memory.

If it were me, i would be perfectly happy with 4.6ghz. Some people lose the lottery when it comes to their chip being a great overclocker, but they might also win the lottery for a chip with a strong IMC. A friend of mine has a 4790k that will only reach 4.5ghz, but he can push 2800mhz @ CL12-14-13-30-1T (1.695V memory) with the tightest secondary and tertiary timings i've ever seen (with all 4 DIMMS loaded, 32GB). 

I asked because I have my 4690K stable at 4.6 and it just barely isn't stable at 4.7. Only went up to 1.245v and it would fail hours into a stability test. I'm overclocking my ram so was interested. But I agree, would rather have the faster ram.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yes I loaded a XMP Profile at 2800 mhz.

Yes I loaded a XMP Profile at 2800 mhz.

You could try to reset memory back to the default 2133mhz speed and see if that helps. If it does not work, it is not that big of a deal. 4.6ghz is still a respectable overclock, and if you can lower the voltage at 4.6, it will be a nice stopping point. I intend on buying a 6700k to use in an ITX system, and i will be stopping at 4.5ghz myself.

You could try to reset memory back to the default 2133mhz speed and see if that helps. If it does not work, it is not that big of a deal. 4.6ghz is still a respectable overclock, and if you can lower the voltage at 4.6, it will be a nice stopping point. I intend on buying a 6700k to use in an ITX system, and i will be stopping at 4.5ghz myself.

For some reason on cpu z it says that I have 1400 mhz ram speed but I set it to 2800. Is this a problem?