Just bought this server!

Unhelpful

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL380-G6-2x-Xeon-L5520-2-26GHz-Quad-Core-72gb-8x-146gb-2x-750w-/231714073262?hash=item35f33c2aae

72gb of RAM (18x4gb) DDR3.

8x 146gb 10k rpm SAS drives (probably going to go with RAID 10.)

2x 750w PSUs

and 2 Xeon L5520 (4 cores, 8 threads, VT-D and VT-X.)

a RAID controller that I'm not familiar with

Can't wait for it to get here :D I think I'll throw up ESXI and a ton of VMs.

Also going to grab 2 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-WS-C3550-48-SMI-CATALYST-3550-48-PORT-10-100Base-T-L3-SWITCH-GIGABIT-UPLIN-/271684102220?hash=item3f41a2684c

Woo making a lab!

You basically got 1 TB of storage.. It would be cheaper to buy a 1TB hard drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL380-G6-2x-Xeon-L5520-2-26GHz-Quad-Core-72gb-8x-146gb-2x-750w-/231714073262?hash=item35f33c2aae

72gb of RAM (18x4gb) DDR3.

8x 146gb 10k rpm SAS drives (probably going to go with RAID 10.)

2x 750w PSUs

and 2 Xeon L5520 (4 cores, 8 threads, VT-D and VT-X.)

a RAID controller that I'm not familiar with

Can't wait for it to get here :D I think I'll throw up ESXI and a ton of VMs.

Also going to grab 2 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-WS-C3550-48-SMI-CATALYST-3550-48-PORT-10-100Base-T-L3-SWITCH-GIGABIT-UPLIN-/271684102220?hash=item3f41a2684c

Woo making a lab!

Let's hope it all comes in one piece!

It'll be interesting to see what you can do with it.

Sig under construction.

You basically got 1 TB of storage.. It would be cheaper to buy a 1TB hard drive.

You uhhh... Lol.

72gb of ddr3 ram. 2 quad core xeons. (16 threads total) Also those are 10k rpm sas drives.

But it's probably pretty damn fast storage...plus tons of RAM and a couple Xeons.

Sig under construction.

Those are sas drive, they spin higher than the limit rpm of your average car

hahah My Microserver Gen 8 has a P410 fitted. Its a beast and works well with ESXi :)

OHHH also you're going to need to BUY ESXi as the free licence is limited to 1 CPU.

and thoose SAS drives & fans will be LOUUUUUUUD haha.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

hahah My Microserver Gen 8 has a P410 fitted. Its a beast and works well with ESXi :)

OHHH also you're going to need to BUY ESXi as the free licence is limited to 1 CPU.

1.) Really? Awesome! (about the P410)

2.) Know how much it is? One time payment? Or license? 

damn thats cheap i paid £100 for my dell power edge 2950 with 512mb of ram and no caddies and one cpu 2 years ago  :( servers are moire expensive in the uk 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

and thoose SAS drives & fans will be LOUUUUUUUD haha.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/gettingstarted

It looks like they removed the 1 CPU

and I think the 32gb limit was removed in 5.5.

Still trying to learn any and all things vmware. Want to get my vmware certs in about a year.

Are you planning to run it 24/7? If yes isn't that going to be quite expensive?

Are you planning to run it 24/7? If yes isn't that going to be quite expensive?

Not really, no. Power isn't a ton here.

But can it run Crysis ?!

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dang son, for 400$ that's a pretty nice deal. Could run a couple awesome game servers off that... hmmmmmm...

*Glances towards server in garage, debates about upgrading it, and turning it into a build thread, hmmm...*

Now i hate you, I'm definitely going to have to drop money on my server now...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Dang son, for 400$ that's a pretty nice deal. Could run a couple awesome game servers off that... hmmmmmm...

*Glances towards server in garage, debates about upgrading it, and turning it into a build thread, hmmm...*

Now i hate you, I'm definitely going to have to drop money on my server now...

I've been saving for a small lab. Grabbing 2 cisco 3550 and VIRL to start practicing for my CCNP. That server to practice for vmware certs. And going to be working on my wireshark one in the meantime.

Now I need a rack :P don't have one yet.

Or you could remove the current hard drives and throw in some new ones, Boom! 8TB, 16TB, or heck, 48TB storage array!

EDIT: I notice that they're 2.5'' drive bays......yeah, maybe a bit more conservative on the storage side of things...

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I've been saving for a small lab. Grabbing 2 cisco 3550 and VIRL to start practicing for my CCNP. That server to practice for vmware certs. And going to be working on my wireshark one in the meantime.

I'm doing my CCNA. Most people I know have the Qualification without even using any equipment. Comes to do his job. Has no clue what to do with the equipment. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Dang, i dig the setup and plans. Certainly taking a far more hands on approach 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I'm doing my CCNA. Most people I know have the Qualification without even using any equipment. Comes to do his job. Has no clue what to do with the equipment. 

Yeah I have my CCNA. Used packet tracer and my classes to learn. I'm kinda in the same boat, yet I'm looking for networking internships lol. Also buying 2 3550s to practice on hardware.

Or you could remove the current hard drives and throw in some new ones, Boom! 8TB, 16TB, or heck, 48TB storage array!

Nah I'll stick with the sas drives until they die. Then I'll throw in some new ones.

Nah I'll stick with the sas drives until they die. Then I'll throw in some new ones.

Fair enough. I mean, if they work just fine, you may as well use them. :P

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D