Opinions on First Gaming PC Build (Black & White) -£1000

Hello all,

This is my planned PC build for a few weeks time.

The main aim of this PC is gaming at 1080p, as well as productivity (I am a student)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£59.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£113.79 @ Ebuyer) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£41.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£118.70 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£259.99 @ Aria PC) 

Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£53.99 @ Ebuyer) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£87.61 @ CCL Computers) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (£15.00) 

Total: £947.87

This is my first PC build, what are your thoughts/suggestions?

Keep in mind:

- Black & White Theme

- Max budget £980 (including OS, not including peripherals)

Many thanks...

-Cameron

To ensure I see your reply, quote my post.

Got any questions? Send me a message.

Hello all,

The main aim of this PC is gaming at 1080p, as well as productivity (I am a student)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£41.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£118.70 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£87.61 @ CCL Computers) 

Keep in mind:
- Black & White Theme

Many thanks...
-Cameron

Looks great m8! i rate it 10/10

Hello all,

Keep in mind:
- Black & White Theme

Many thanks...
-Cameron

I would go for a better CPU cooler than the H60 - if you want to stay black/white then look at the Cryorig R1/ultimate. It's a bit more expensive but will provide better cooling performance and should fit nicely with your colour scheme.

I would go for a 250GB SSD and get a mechanical HDD as well.

If you're gaming I guess you won't need more than 8GB RAM at the moment, so everything else looks great!

Sig under construction.

Really nice build! Have fun building it :D

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

I would go for a better CPU cooler than the H60 - if you want to stay black/white then look at the Crorig R1/ultimate. It's a bit more expensive but will provide better cooling performance and should fit nicely with your colour scheme.

If you're gaming I guess you won't need more than 8GB RAM at the moment, so everything else looks great!

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad you like it!

Really nice build! Have fun building it :D

Thanks! I shall! :D

Glad you like it!

Really nice looking build, can't find any major flaws: great job :)

The above comment about the H60 might be worth a look, but for the most part you've done well.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I'd get an H100i instead of that single rad because you're not going to be able to OC a lot with just one rad. Always have a minimum of double rads for overclocking each component.

Everything is either perfect or exactly how you might like it :)

I would go for a better CPU cooler than the H60 - if you want to stay black/white then look at the Crorig R1/ultimate. It's a bit more expensive but will provide better cooling performance and should fit nicely with your colour scheme.

You can consider this too^, but if you're going with cryorig r1 make sure that the height of the cooler doesn't pass the cpu height clearance of the case, otherwise you won't be able to close it.

Or Noctuas (U12S or U14S) hehehe. The U14S model is just as good as a Corsair H100i. Plus, they look elegant against black and white

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

I would go for a better CPU cooler than the H60 - if you want to stay black/white then look at the Cryorig R1/ultimate. It's a bit more expensive but will provide better cooling performance and should fit nicely with your colour scheme.

You are definetly correct, the cooler does underperform for it's price point, I would suggest replacing the stock fans with an aftermarket fan with white led's

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

You are definetly correct, the cooler does underperform for it's price point, I would suggest replacing the stock fans with an aftermarket fan with white led's

Any particular models you'd recommend for the fans? I quite like the idea :P

Yeah, it's a solid build.

If you want to save a few, then dropping down to a 650 or even a quality 550 watt PSU will work. Unless you're going to be crossfireing two 3890s. If so, keep the 750.

Edited by J. Hammond

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

If you want to save a few, then dropping down to a 650 or even a quality 550 watt PSU will work. Unless you're going to be crossfireing two 380s. If so, keep the 750.

Assuming you meant 390s instead of 380s, I would probably go for an 850w+ PSU for that.

Sig under construction.

If you want to save a few, then dropping down to a 650 or even a quality 550 watt PSU will work. Unless you're going to be crossfireing two 380s. If so, keep the 750.

I am planning to CF the 390s in a few months or so... just wont have the money straight away :)

So in terms of coolers, @Tedster suggest the cryorig r1 universal/ultimate, the s340 has a cpu height clearance of 161mm and that cooler is 163mm high, so you won't be able to close your case.

What i suggest, for your white/black theme, would be either a cryorig h5 or h7.

I'll leave some reviews about both coolers.

H5: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H5_Universal/

H7: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/

Both of them won't clash with your color theme :P

I am planning to CF the 390s in a few months or so... just wont have the money straight away :)

Ah. That makes sense.

Assuming you meant 390s instead of 380s, I would probably go for an 850w+ PSU for that.

Hurp Durp, I need more practice on this keyboard. It's been months and I'm still not used to it.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

So in terms of coolers, @Tedster suggest the cryorig r1 universal/ultimate, the s340 has a cpu height clearance of 161mm and that cooler is 163mm high, so you won't be able to close your case.

What i suggest, for your white/black theme, would be either a cryorig h5 or h7.

I'll leave some reviews about both coolers.

H5: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H5_Universal/

H7: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/

Both of them won't clash with your color theme :P

I thought that the S340 was slightly wider...

Also sometimes CPU cooler clearance figures are incorrect.

Sig under construction.

I thought that the S340 was slightly wider...

Also sometimes CPU cooler clearance figures are incorrect.

Yeah, sometimes it happens, best way to avoid that would be to buy case first, and get something to measure the height clearance from the motherboard stand-offs :D