Do I actually have to BUY windows?

iamdarkyoshi

So first off, I am NOT talking about piracy. Please read the ENTIRE post.

I bought two PCs from the place my dad worked at. They were pretty insane custom built rendering PCs (back in the days of sandy bridge)

Each one still had windows 7 on them. I know the IT crew that installed the OS on these, I used to work for them. I do not know the exact details, but I know that they did a legitimate installation of the OS on each one. So I ended up parting out one of them, and using some parts for mine, ThisPCNeedsABetterName. 

So I had no interest in using windows 7, nor did I want all the programs, settings, ect that was on the existing SSD. So I did a windows 10 upgrade, and did NOT tell it to keep my old files and stuff. So I was having issues even after I received new RAM for an RMA (old ram was throwing plenty of errors in memtest) but I used magicaljellybean to grab my existing key and reinstall it fresh using that key.

After doing this, I still had issues. At this point, I was still using the asrock motherboard that was in these previously. So I got a new motherboard so I could build the PC smaller, and still had issues with crashing and so I did an OS reinstall again, this time installing every manufacturer driver listed BEFORE allowing the PC to see the internet.

Still crashed more frequently than a retarded racehorse. I kinda just learned to deal with constant crashing, thinking it was a "feature" of windows 10. So after getting tired of it, I ran memtest. This is when I realized that my new RAM was also bad, I ran memtest and had errors!! I tried throwing an 8GB kit from my mediaserver, and voila! I have been three days without ANY issues!

Except this one:

post-128204-0-19060900-1444447850_thumb.

What the??

I called Microsoft to try to activate it using the automated phone thing, didnt work, and so I got transferred to a service rep, and after about 20 minutes, neither of us could solve it. How fix? Do I have to spend MONEY?

So first off, I am NOT talking about piracy. Please read the ENTIRE post.

I bought two PCs from the place my dad worked at. They were pretty insane custom built rendering PCs (back in the days of sandy bridge)

Each one still had windows 7 on them. I know the IT crew that installed the OS on these, I used to work for them. I do not know the exact details, but I know that they did a legitimate installation of the OS on each one. So I ended up parting out one of them, and using some parts for mine, ThisPCNeedsABetterName. 

So I had no interest in using windows 7, nor did I want all the programs, settings, ect that was on the existing SSD. So I did a windows 10 upgrade, and did NOT tell it to keep my old files and stuff. So I was having issues even after I received new RAM for an RMA (old ram was throwing plenty of errors in memtest) but I used magicaljellybean to grab my existing key and reinstall it fresh using that key.

After doing this, I still had issues. At this point, I was still using the asrock motherboard that was in these previously. So I got a new motherboard so I could build the PC smaller, and still had issues with crashing and so I did an OS reinstall again, this time installing every manufacturer driver listed BEFORE allowing the PC to see the internet.

Still crashed more frequently than a retarded racehorse. I kinda just learned to deal with constant crashing, thinking it was a "feature" of windows 10. So after getting tired of it, I ran memtest. This is when I realized that my new RAM was also bad, I ran memtest and had errors!! I tried throwing an 8GB kit from my mediaserver, and voila! I have been three days without ANY issues!

Except this one:

attachicon.gifMSX.png

What the??

I called Microsoft to try to activate it using the automated phone thing, didnt work, and so I got transferred to a service rep, and after about 20 minutes, neither of us could solve it. How fix? Do I have to spend MONEY?

yes, if you don't want to be constantly bugged my microsoft. just buy a key of g2a, its like 30 bucks (USD)

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

Just Pirate It. I do not think that it is un-ethical because you had a legal copy and you can't use it anymore.

Also Win10 Product Keys are tied to the motherboard so you can't actually upgrade (I ran into the same issue going from X79 to X58)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

If you have 2 legit installs then just call MS and ask.  Usually, they'll generate a code at random if you give them remote access. They did that for me.

So by letting them dink with my PC, they can insure that nothing is wrong (such as a counterfeit OS) and then activate it?

Just Pirate It. I do not think that it is un-ethical because you had a legal copy and you can't use it anymore.

Also Win10 Product Keys are tied to the motherboard so you can't actually upgrade (I ran into the same issue going from X79 to X58)

And you're gonna get warned for stating that piracy is allowed.

TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Why didnt it complain until I changed the RAM though? I had been on TWO of these motherboards (one had to be RMAed) and no issues.

Why didnt it complain until I changed the RAM though? I had been on TWO of these motherboards (one had to be RMAed) and no issues.

Maybe because of the same chipset? 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Pretty much they did that when I had to change my mobo and also when they put the key in it messed with ms office.  They fixed both for me.

I will try this tomorrow, hopefully this time I can get a service rep that natively speaks english <_<

Yup, they just want some invoice of the new one.  I just copied and pasted the amazon info for the z97 gigabyte board I have and they did it.

Alright, I bought mine from newegg, should be easy enough. Good timing too, they are out of stock O.o