Comparable Windows laptop to a Macbook?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

So my friend is reaaalllyyyy looking into getting a Macbook because of brand recognition and all that pizzaz. 

He says he doesnt want to get an "overpriced" (heh) laptop but he says that Macs are good for the money. 

He wants to use it for portable use and lounging in bed but a fancy Macbook seems redundant for the price if he's just going to use it for that. 

He was looking at the Macbook Pros sitting around the $1k range. If I recall he does some light gaming as well (minecraft, papers please, not really AAA). 

Anyone have any other laptop recommendations for this kind of use? I'm only familiar with desktop stuff. 

Some Dell laptops are around 1k. The Razer Blade is cool, but I think it's 1.5k.

Just look around the Internet, you'll find something better.

I used to be quite active here.

Sounds like the kind of guy who would be happy with a Macbook...

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Before I started university I was looking at one of the ~$1k macbooks.  I did some looking around and eventually bought a laptop for ~$1.1k that was equal or better than the highest end (~$2400+) macbook at the time, and after an upgrade to an SSD and a new extended battery, I'm still using it almost 5 years later.  It has things you probably wouldn't expect for one that age like USB 3 for example.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Sounds like the kind of guy who would be happy with a Macbook...

He wants to get the $1800 macbook pro that has a dual core i5 with 8gb ram, 512 pcie ssd and 13 inch screen for laying in bed... That is beyond ridiculous even for Apple standards

He wants to get the $1800 macbook pro that has a dual core i5 with 8gb ram, 512 pcie ssd and 13 inch screen for laying in bed... That is beyond ridiculous even for Apple standards

Tell him to get a Macbook instead of a Macbook Pro then.

Tell him to get a Macbook instead of a Macbook Pro then.

If he's already looking at $1800, then talk him into the highest end one, then swap it out with this

He'll see it's totally amazing and overkill, and at that point you can then talk him down to some common sense in the ~$700 range

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Macbooks can be used for light gaming and I think it's a good ergonomic option. If not maybe a surface pro?

If he's already looking at $1800, then talk him into the highest end one, then swap it out with this

He'll see it's totally amazing and overkill, and at that point you can then talk him down to some common sense in the ~$700 range

I tried talking otherwise. He doesn't understand hardware specs and such and sadly is dead set on "I want a mac"

...He doesn't understand hardware specs and such and sadly is dead set on "I want a mac"

Then there is nothing left to do here.  Your job is done, our jobs are done.  Let him do whatever he wants, since he obviously know best what he actually wants and won't listen to reason.

Then there is nothing left to do here. Your job is done, our jobs are done. Let him do whatever he wants, since he obviously know best what he actually wants and won't listen to reason.

I appreciate the assistance though

I appreciate the assistance though

no problem.  You have to try but when it becomes apparent that there is no point, you have to know when to let it go too

no problem.  You have to try but when it becomes apparent that there is no point, you have to know when to let it go too

I don't see what the big deal is, the guy wants a mac. Yes, the hardware is more expensive with an Apple computer, but that's what he's into, and for a lot of people it provides a really good user experience. When someone says "Hey, I want an orange!" You don't respond by saying "Oh well oranges are okay, but ya know, peppers have a lot more vitamins in them per pound and they are less expensive so just get that instead". I'll never understand why so many people are against Apple computers simply because they are made by Apple or cost more. Why does it matter so much?

I don't see what the big deal is, the guy wants a mac. Yes, the hardware is more expensive with an Apple computer, but that's what he's into, and for a lot of people it provides a really good user experience. When someone says "Hey, I want an orange!" You don't respond by saying "Oh well oranges are okay, but ya know, peppers have a lot more vitamins in them per pound and they are less expensive so just get that instead". I'll never understand why so many people are against Apple computers simply because they are made by Apple or cost more. Why does it matter so much?

It doesn't, or else I would have kept pushing and encouraging him to push too :)

I just really try to make sure people have the opportunity to see what they can get for their money, since some people care more about the performance / cost and less about other stuff, but don't really know the market and may not actually realize Apple is more expensive for the same money

It doesn't, or else I would have kept pushing and encouraging him to push too :)

I just really try to make sure people have the opportunity to see what they can get for their money, since some people care more about the performance / cost and less about other stuff, but don't really know the market and may not actually realize Apple is more expensive for the same money

Yeah, I get that, and I can understand what you mean about performance / cost. For me, the first indication that a regular old Macbook was fine was when the use case was for lounging around and maybe playing Minecraft once in a while. Now if it had been "I want a gaming laptop, how about a Macbook Pro" I would completely agree with you. I just feel like sometimes people on here dismiss users who just want a casual computer as being 'too dumb' or something to see THE GLORIOUS PC. 

Yeah, I get that, and I can understand what you mean about performance / cost. For me, the first indication that a regular old Macbook was fine was when the use case was for lounging around and maybe playing Minecraft once in a while. Now if it had been "I want a gaming laptop, how about a Macbook Pro" I would completely agree with you. I just feel like sometimes people on here dismiss users who just want a casual computer as being 'too dumb' or something to see THE GLORIOUS PC. 

Maybe, I'll have to try to not be bad for that :)

I was moreso telling not to because he's wanting a $2k laptop to use in bed. If that doesn't sound ridiculous then I don't know what. But I guess to him it's about image. Its a fashion item when you go out with it. That shiny chrome laptop with the Apple logo.

I was moreso telling not to because he's wanting a $2k laptop to use in bed. If that doesn't sound ridiculous then I don't know what. But I guess to him it's about image. Its a fashion item when you go out with it. That shiny chrome laptop with the Apple logo.

As long as he realizes that in addition to those that look at an Apple thing and go "oh, cool he must be awesome", there are people who look at that and go "oh, you poor misguided tool" :P

Show him the ASUS UX305, for his use and desire it's likely the best option.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.