Samsung/Qualcomm wins court case against NVidia

Notional

Not claimed it was, but games are designed to use it on the consoles, and that should for the most part, transfer onto pc ports for AMD programming paths at least. Result is that AMD so far gets a much larger performance boost than NVidia.

Is not that only due to cuda programming being better? Sounds like poor programming.

When the engineers who maintain the Linpack benchmarks and libraries can't get OpenCL working better on cards with higher theoretical throughput, no one can. They're the best programmers the world has to offer. AMD is not superior for compute anywhere outside of on paper. Perhaps the Fury and Fury X have pulled ahead of the Tesla K40, but those would be the only 2 in AMD's arsenal to have done that in years.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

When the engineers who maintain the Linpack benchmarks and libraries can't get OpenCL working better on cards with higher theoretical throughput, no one can. They're the best programmers the world has to offer. AMD is not superior for compute anywhere outside of on paper. Perhaps the Fury and Fury X have pulled ahead of the Tesla K40, but those would be the only 2 in AMD's arsenal to have done that in years.

Well I don't use OpenCL, so I cannot tell. Sounds like OpenCL should get its own Vulkan or something.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Good, I hope samsung and qualcomm counter-sue the crap out of Nvidia for wasting their time. You don't get to sue someone wrongfully, waste millions in legal costs, and then walk away as though it didn't happen.

also, gotta love the grandfather of 3D gaming stepping in to give nvidia a slap for this nonsense.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

screw u nvidia

it was a dick move  from the start

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

what if Samsung rises the Hbm price for Nvidia next year i wonder how they will feel about this patent

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Still a chance Nvidia could win this. I wouldn't start celebrating just yet.

No, there was almost no chance for them to win it to begin with. In the previous year before the lawsuit, NVIDIA was trying to enforce the licensing on alot of IHVs... if they had got any, it would be a different story... NVIDIA got 0.

Even small companys, denied it.

This is pretty much a wrap, and now let' see if they will do another blog post about it.

Edit: They did xD http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/10/09/patent-infringement/

I look at this topic and everyone is bashing on NV, I look at LukaP's topic in the link in the thread post and everyone is bashing on Samsung saying that NV should win. Really interesting.

If NV sued at some other time, but not after getting 0 licensing deals, then it would've been a different story. Then I might believe they are trying to claim almost everything because they think it's their and not due to some kind of revenge, but Samsung is not the good guy as well. Leave Velocity out of this ffs. Now you're just being hypocrites. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I look at this topic and everyone is bashing on NV, I look at LukaP's topic in the link in the thread post and everyone is bashing on Samsung saying that NV should win. Really interesting.

If NV sued at some other time, but not after getting 0 licensing deals, then it would've been a different story. Then I might believe they are trying to claim almost everything because they think it's their and not due to some kind of revenge, but Samsung is not the good guy as well. Leave Velocity out of this ffs. Now you're just being hypocrites. 

Here is what I think (and I posted this back when the story broke) is that Samsung is only dragging Velocity Micro into the case to show how ridiculous Nvidia's claims are.

Nvidia is claiming that because Qualcomm is violating Nvidia's patent, Samsung should pay since they use Qualcomm products. That's ludicrous. So Samsung is dragging Velocity Micro into the thing to show that if Samsung ends up losing this case because they use things from Qualcomm, AMD and Imagination then Samsung has the right to sue every single PC builder who uses anything from Nvidia, which is also terrible.

The only way this can end well is if Nvidia loses.

I hope I am right, and if I am then Samsung will drop their charges against Velocity Micro as soon as Nvidia drops the case.

The worst part is that NVIDIA acted as a white knight, pointing the finger at Samsung because of Velocity Micro, for doing what NVIDIA was doing to Samsung... yet NVIDIA never moved their stance despite of the involvment of VM - that's the true hipocrisy.

Even after losing they are still going at it, dragging VM down with them.

Here is what I think (and I posted this back when the story broke) is that Samsung is only dragging Velocity Micro into the case to show how ridiculous Nvidia's claims are.

Nvidia is claiming that because Qualcomm is violating Nvidia's patent, Samsung should pay since they use Qualcomm products. That's ludicrous. So Samsung is dragging Velocity Micro into the thing to show that if Samsung ends up losing this case because they use things from Qualcomm, AMD and Imagination then Samsung has the right to sue every single PC builder who uses anything from Nvidia, which is also terrible.

The only way this can end well is if Nvidia loses.

I hope I am right, and if I am then Samsung will drop their charges against Velocity Micro as soon as Nvidia drops the case.

According to Velocity's CEO it about how fast the cases go to court. 

http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/message-ceo-velocity-micro-responds-samsungs-lawsuit/

It makes sense what you say yes, but NV is suing Samsung for Exynos chips as well, but I don't remember, does Samsung make GPUs for them as well? 

Nvidia: 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Samsung GPUs are ARM GPUs, Mali.

Yes, true, forgot about that.

It makes sense what you say yes, but NV is suing Samsung for Exynos chips as well, but I don't remember, does Samsung make GPUs for them as well? 

Samsung are being sued for using Snapdragon chips (Qualcomm GPUs) as well as Exynos chips. Some of the Exynos chips they are being sued for are using PowerVR GPUs (designed by Imagination, same as Apple uses) and the rest are using Mali GPUs (designed by ARM).

I haven't read the statement from Velocity but I hope they get out of this unharmed.

For God's sake people. Yes, Nvidia deserved to lose this, but what in the world does this thread have to do with AMD? This is between Samsung and Nvidia. People cheering at Nvidia's defeat while praising AMD in a thread that has nothing to do with them are just as bad as the fan boys they despise.

The simple truth is that Nvidia deserved to lose this. Samsung didn't bring velocity micro in the suit to show how ridiculous the Nvidia suit was, they did it to set the battleground in that court jurisdiction.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/343274-nvidia-winning-against-samsung-in-court/ lol a complete 180 in which side people support since this

I don't see a 180. With the exception of a few people on there who changed their mind after @TERAFLOP and @Notional pointed out what was actually going on the case, that thread was filled with the usual Nvidia shills trying to defend what was blatant patent trolling by Nvidia. Strangely enough, none of them are here on this thread with the exception of one, and we all know who he is. Actually, unrelated to this topic, but the usual shills have strangely gone into hiding since the launch of the R9 300 series.

The people on here cheering for Samsung were cheering for them right from the get go and they were doing it based on facts, not on fanboyism.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

For DX12 with async compute

For VR headsets for lowest latency (due to LiquidVR)

For highend compute cards (beats everything NVidia has on the market)

Kepler and Maxwell are already becoming obsolete, and especially Maxwell will have a very short life of high performance. Remember that when NVidia stops focusing on driver optimizations, the performance will plummet, like we are seeing with a 780 ti getting beat by a 290 on a DX11 game.

But on topic, this court case made no sense, and is nothing but patent trolling. I don't like Samsung suing the boutique store, but I would like for NVidia to get hurt badly by the counter suit. I don't like large IT companies pulling bs like this. That goes for Apple too.

It took me a while to notice he was responding to me because I have him ignored. I don't why you people waste your time with him. His argument me saying Nvidia is doing shit with their huge market share is that Nvidia is better because of their market share. Circular logic seems to be his forte.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

TBH, I think Kepler is the equivalent of GCN in what it offers. However the GPU based around it are weaker than newer GCN iterations, and if it had been continued, I think Maxwell should have been left for portable devices.

TBH, Fermi FTW.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

TBH, Fermi FTW.

Intel already had my heating and cooking needs covered with the Pentium 4 that I could take up to 220W. So still, Kepler FTW.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Intel already had my heating and cooking needs covered with the Pentium 4 that I could take up to 220W. So still, Kepler FTW.

Kepler lacks enough VRAM to use nowadays...the 4GB was fine for the 770 to handle but Nvidia chose 2GB for stock.