New SSD, fresh intall?

Proton_density
Go to solution Solved by QBtech,

There are no requirement on which sata ports to use, just alter the boot sequence in bios

If you want to clean install and have not yet upgraded to 10, you must first install 8(.1). The serial key for 10 is generated during the upgrade process and your 8.1 key will not work with a 10 iso

Howdy all,

I am getting a new SSD (Samsung 850 evo 250gb) to replace my current boot drive (a Samsung 830 evo) that has suffered those read/write decays. I plan on using this older SSD as a gaming SSD. I am also planning on installing windows 10 on my new SSD. So firstly I will be installing with a .iso, what product key am I going to use? my Windows 8.1 key? Secondly should I format the old one and start new or clone it onto the new drive then just upgrade to 10 normally. Essentially I am asking which way is easier and will have better performance/reliability. Also this will be the first time I install a new drive in my rig, are there any requirements as the the positioning of the SATA (other than keeping it on the sata 6gb/s) such as order.

Thanks!!

There are no requirement on which sata ports to use, just alter the boot sequence in bios

If you want to clean install and have not yet upgraded to 10, you must first install 8(.1). The serial key for 10 is generated during the upgrade process and your 8.1 key will not work with a 10 iso

~snip~

Hey there Proton_density,

What the guys explained is true, you would need to install the older version with your key since it won't work on the new one, and then upgrade. 
Cloning can also be useful since it involves less problems when it's done on same drives (SSD to SSD and HDD to HDD) and from smaller to larger capacity. I would, however, suggest a clean install as it refreshes your whole build, gets rid of unwanted data and outdated applications and updates nad generally improves the performance of your system. I'd follow @Aytex's advice :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/