The Quadro ... Myth or Reality ?

We all have heard stories of these beastly gods, named Quadros,  who came from another land far away to make our GTXs look bad...

But is this actually true ?

I mean, are they really so much better for 3D Rendering/ Editing and so on ?

We all know by now that from a hardware perspective Quadros are much worse performers than GTXs cards,

but the word on the street is that some magic drivers make them move much faster.

OK

But how much faster ?

Can a Quadro (with its magic drivers) beat a similarly priced GTXs superior hardware ?

Well...

Why don't we test it, Linus ?

I feel like this is a topic shrouded in mystery, because there are a lot of statements for and against Quadros but very few reputable tests to prove it.

I want a video, with real world benchmarks and hordes of graphs.

Someone really needs to look into this, i think the results will be surprising.

If you are interested in this please, lets make this Happen

Thank you :D

Centered text is so hard to read O.o

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Nice centerlined text. Quadros have 10 bit colour depth or something and double precision floating point (Is that what it's called?) calculations enabled iirc.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Nice centerlined text. Quadros have 10 bit colour depth or something and double precision floating point (Is that what it's called?) calculations enabled iirc.

Yes, it's called Double Precision Floating Point. It's also known as FP64(Floating Point 64-bit).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's definitely one of the fancy features listed. I'm pretty sure there's a few more too though

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

@OfficialJsP I get that, i don't want marketing bullshit, i want the real world numbers tested properly

I feel like this should be tested .While the specifications and double precision floating point should matter, the sheer chip power superiority of the GTX (for the same price) should make a difference in the other direction .

Lets not judge chips so much on their specifications

Real World Test Needed

I honestly think that this topic deserves a video .I know that the quadro should be better but nobody seems to test this except people who want you to buy quadros (Nvidia)

@OfficialJsP I get that, i don't want marketing bullshit, i want the real world numbers tested properly

I feel like this should be tested .While the specifications and double precision floating point should matter, the sheer chip power superiority of the GTX (for the same price) should make a difference in the other direction .

Lets not judge chips so much on their specifications

Real World Test Needed

Part of the reason why quadros are priced so much higher than Gefore cards is that they are binned for power consumption and get special drivers. They are also more reliable because of the higher binned chips, high quality components and ECC memory. And they will performs a shit ton better on anything that needs FP64.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Quadro's along with Grid graphics cards from nvidia are the only ones that support "multi-os" which is rather lame. The "multi-os" feature allows the graphics to be passed a virtual machine. You can pass GTX cards to a vm just fine, but the nvidia driver won't allow you to use it. They want to you buy the higher end stuff.

This kinda brings about another statement, the Titan has Double precision floating point capabilities and I presume the other things too, so yeah

EDIT: Corrected.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Quadro are not made for gaming GTX cards are...

QUadros ARE GTX gaming cards, with a cuztom bios, 18Kohm resistance and more VRAM

Same applies for Firepro cards. A Firepro W9100 is a R9 290X with 16GB of VRAM, custom bios, no special resistance.

Both the QUADRO and FIREPRO cards uses standard GeForce and Catalyst drivers in games.

In the case of Kepler based Quadros, you can just swap the bios for a 780 or Titan Black bios... you will have to change the bios to accomodate the different VRAM chips and such.

it goes the other way too.

you can buy an R9 290X, flash the bios, slap on a custom Firepro bios that says the card has 4/8GB of VRAM of a certain brand, and it will start using firepro drivers.

If you do it right, you can use the dual bios to have both firepro and R9 BIOS installed. Thus you can go from "buisiness to party" by just shutting the PC down, flipping a switch, and powering it back on.

This kinda brings about another statement, the (GTX) Titan X has Double precision floating point capabilities and I presume the other things too (not ECC memory), so yeah :P

no, the WHOLE maxwell series, from the 750Ti to the TitanX does NOT have quadro level FP64 enabled . That is enabled through the QUADRO bios. The normal GeForce bioses slashes down the double precision in favor of higher explicit and implicit single precision.

The TitanX has shit double precision. Unlike the Kepler based Titan and Titan Black, the TitanX is a GAMING CARD, it is NOT a pseudo workstation card like its predecessor was.

no, the WHOLE maxwell series, from the 750Ti to the TitanX does NOT have FP64 enabled. That is enabled through the QUADRO bios.

The TitanX has shit double precision. Unlike the Kepler based Titan and Titan Black, the TitanX is a GAMING CARD, it is NOT a pseudo workstation card like its predecessor was.

Oh, I see. Thanks for correcting that.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Quadro's along with Grid graphics cards from nvidia are the only ones that support "multi-os" which is rather lame. The "multi-os" feature allows the graphics to be passed a virtual machine. You can pass GTX cards to a vm just fine, but the nvidia driver won't allow you to use it. They want to you buy the higher end stuff.

AMD now has a card that does the same as GRID. AFAIK, it does not require you to have a firepro.

no, the WHOLE maxwell series, from the 750Ti to the TitanX does NOT have quadro level FP64 enabled . That is enabled through the QUADRO bios.

Maxwell as a whole does not have support for proper FP64, Quadro or not. It has nothing to do with software or tricks performed by NVIDIA.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Maxwell as a whole does not have support for proper FP64, Quadro or not. It has nothing to do with software or tricks performed by NVIDIA.

i know. But it is further "turned down"/disabled on normal cards. While it is in the quadro cards...

Either way... Firepro all the way man. Cheaper cards, better performance aslong as the programs you use supports OpenCL

http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/professional/virtualization

this is what you want :D

@typographie 

I don't see any testing done in the video .

The problem is, that sure, if money doesn't matter, you drop 5k on a Quadro and you will get the best experience...but if money is a problem ( in the real world it is, especially for students who model in 3d) should you get a 980ti or a weak (gtx 750 based) Quadro for the same money...

I don't want information that i already heard before, i want testing, i want a video in which Linus, Luke or whatever takes a system and compares the performance of GTXs cards agains Quadros in 3d programs

Very Simple