Bought A New CPU Cooler, Not Happy With Results

angelo641

Okay, I recently bought a Noctua nh-D15 cpu cooler for my i5 3570k. I Installed the cooler, and I'm only getting a couple degree differences from the stock cooler.

I use CUPID for my temps.

Stock: Idle 38-40c Prime95 63-65c

Noctua: Idle 36-38c Prime 95 57-62c 

I mean it is an improvement, but for $100 I was expecting to overclock to 4.2Ghz. Perhaps I put the thermal paste on wrong?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

don't use p95

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Okay, I recently bought a Noctua nh-D15 cpu cooler for my i5 3570k. I Installed the cooler, and I'm only getting a couple degree differences from the stock cooler.

I mean it is an improvement, but for $100 I was expecting to overclock to 4.2Ghz. Perhaps I put the thermal paste on wrong?

My experience with the i5 3570K was under water (Corsair H110), and I could barely keep the temps under 80c at a 4.3Ghz overclock. The 3###K series are just garbage when it comes to thermals and Overclocks.

Now that's not to say that someone couldn't get a better chip and have a 4.4Ghz clock on Air, but in general the chips don't go past a 4.2Ghz clock on air or under water due to stability.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

don't use p95

For the same results you could try measuring with a fairly fresh potato

build it beaurtiful

Termalpaste has to be very thin. To much and Cooling will be bad.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What's the fan speed? It's quite possible that the D15 is only a couple of degrees below the stock cooler if the latter was running at 4k RPM or more and the D15 at 500rpm or something like that. If the D15 fans already run at speeds above 1000rpm, try re-seating the cooler and using less TIM. You should see at least a 10-15°C drop as compared to the stock cooler.

you have to overclock it. it isn't going to overclock itself, because you put a bigger cooler on it. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

CUPID? You mean CPUID? Which software from them? Its company name for various utilities. HWmonitor would be my wild guess but...

Anyway. Are the settings for multiplier and volts same for both test you've done? I'm surprised how low your max stock temp is. Was expecting higher, something in 70C range. Truth is that you can't go lower than what you are getting on air. And larger coolers get their advantage with higher volts on overclocks. You don't get $100 cooler to run everything stock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv