Want a Second Opinion Before Buying Mirrorless

Hi all,

It's been almost a year since I passed on my Nikon D3200 to my sister. I didn't have much time to shoot back then, and thought she would be able to use it more than I could. But now I've saved up some money and am in the market for a new camera. This time however I've been really falling for all of the mirrorless systems that I did not consider last time. 

Right now I've got my eyes on the Fuji X-T10 and their XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4.0 lens. This kit currently comes in at $1,000 on amazon.  What I like about this camera is the style, build quality (from what I've heard), the options in lenses, and the portability that comes from mirrorless systems. 

I'm posting here today to get a second opinion before I buy anything. I've been kind of tunnel-visioned on this X-T10 and want to see if some of you can point out some glaring flaw with this camera that I'm just not seeing, or perhaps a better camera to go with. 

I understand the X-T10 does not have the best video mode, but I don't typically shoot video - and when I do it isn't very serious. 

My budget right now is about $1,200 US.

Feel free to chime in with a DSLR recommendation, but I am mostly looking at mirrorless because I travel a lot and appreciate how easy they would be to bring with me. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

Hi all,

It's been almost a year since I passed on my Nikon D3200 to my sister. I didn't have much time to shoot back then, and thought she would be able to use it more than I could. But now I've saved up some money and am in the market for a new camera. This time however I've been really falling for all of the mirrorless systems that I did not consider last time. 

Right now I've got my eyes on the Fuji X-T10 and their XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4.0 lens. This kit currently comes in at $1,000 on amazon.  What I like about this camera is the style, build quality (from what I've heard), the options in lenses, and the portability that comes from mirrorless systems. 

I'm posting here today to get a second opinion before I buy anything. I've been kind of tunnel-visioned on this X-T10 and want to see if some of you can point out some glaring flaw with this camera that I'm just not seeing, or perhaps a better camera to go with. 

I understand the X-T10 does not have the best video mode, but I don't typically shoot video - and when I do it isn't very serious. 

My budget right now is about $1,200 US.

Feel free to chime in with a DSLR recommendation, but I am mostly looking at mirrorless because I travel a lot and appreciate how easy they would be to bring with me. 

id buy ur old camera

snip

We can't, and I wont, push you to buy a camera you aren't interested in.  The Fuji X-T10 is certainly a good camera and the 18-55 kit lens that comes with it is in my opinion better than other 18-55 kit lenses that are available for other camera brands.  If you look at the other 18-55 lenses from Sony, Canon, Nikon they are all about 1-stop slower than the Fuji.

There's not much to complain about the Fuji aside from the fact that unlike Sony or Canon, Fuji isn't really looking to make their photo cameras into video production cameras.  But if you aren't looking for a camera to produce videos, this shouldn't bother you.

The closest competition to the X-T10 would be, at least in my opinion, either the Sony A6000 or early generation Sony A7.  Give them a chance if you are curious, however if you still pick the X-T10 you won't regret it.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

[...]

The closest competition to the X-T10 would be, at least in my opinion, either the Sony A6000 or early generation Sony A7.  Give them a chance if you are curious, however if you still pick the X-T10 you won't regret it.

Actually, good call on the Sony's. I knew about the Sony A7, but didn't realize the older model could be within my budget. I'll have to look into both of those now. 

Alumni of FRC Team 245

I have the X-T10 with that exact kit lens (18-55mm f2.8-4) and so far I'm loving it!
Haven't been able to shoot a whole ton with it yet (I'm currently stuck in a boring location) but the sensor capture some really nice photos, the manual controls and dials are a joy to use and low-light capability is really quite good.

I'm very happy with the lens too, it's very sharp and has a solid build I've heard a couple of people saying it's one of the best (if not the best) kit lens you can get.

Going from a DSLR to the X-T10 felt a bit weird at first, I wasn't sure how to hold the camera comfortably and the button placement was so different that what I was used to, but now I'm so used to it that I actually prefer the button placement and menu system over my old entry level Canon DSLR.

I don't know if this is important to you, but unlike the X-T1, the X-T10 isn't actually weather sealed.

I've become quite fond of Fuji since getting my hands on this camera and now that Fujifilm has released the M lens to X mount adapter, I've been considering getting some good fully manual M mount lenses.

The only reason I'd consider a Sony over a Fuji is because of the full-frame A7 cameras, the A6000 still has an APSC sensor and honestly, I think Fuji make the best mirrorless APSC-sensor cameras. (Gotta love that X-Trans sensor)

Fuji XF lenses aren't super cheap, but they're damn sharp and you really get a lot for your money with Fuji lenses.

Bottom line is, you choose whatever you think is best for you and I might be slightly biased since I bought the X-T10 with my own money and I'm looking to buy more Fuji gear relatively soon, so take my post with a grain of salt.

I'm trying my best to be as objective as possible with the current knowledge I have.

You should consider renting or borrowing a Fuji X-T10 or X-T1 (since they're almost identical) from a friend or a shop before pulling the trigger, if you can.

Actually, good call on the Sony's. I knew about the Sony A7, but didn't realize the older model could be within my budget. I'll have to look into both of those now. 

If you have any questions on the A7 gimme a shout

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you have any questions on the A7 gimme a shout

Not sure I have any useful questions, but I'd like to know what lenses you'd recommend for the A7? 

I think I'm going to end up getting the a6000 and get some lenses for the Sony E/FE system so I can have the option to upgrade to their full frame cameras in the future. 

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Not sure I have any useful questions, but I'd like to know what lenses you'd recommend for the A7? 

I think I'm going to end up getting the a6000 and get some lenses for the Sony E/FE system so I can have the option to upgrade to their full frame cameras in the future. 

Most photographers have what they call a trinity of lenses.

1. The most common is a mid range zoom
  2. A wide angle
  3. A long telephoto
  4. And an optional prime or standard (non-zoom) lens with a fast/wide aperture

A kit lens like the common 18-55 is a mid range zoom lens if you are on a cropped sensor camera.  On a full frame 35mm sensor camera, common mid range zooms are 24-70, 24-85, 24-105 and 24-120.

Wide angles/Ultra wide angles tend to be 10-20, 11-16, 14-24, 16-35 focal lengths.

Telephotos are 70-200, 70-300, 80-200 focal lengths.

Unfortunately, Sony has only 10 native lenses and 4 Zeiss lenses on the full frame line up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Zeiss&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=17912&N=4196380428+3999800997+4291215468+4291107378

And there's around 16 non Sony or Zeiss lenses, and they are all prime lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Mitakon+Zhongyi&N=4196380428+3999800997+4289371130+4206889901+4290485555+3807447616

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

100% the 28mm F2, its an amazing lens!

I am using an A mount adapter, and using the minolta 50 f1,7 and 70-210 f4 which cost me £100 for BOTH lenses! 

I also have a A mount Tamron 28-75 F2.8 - very good for the cost

also have a growing selection of Canon FD glass with a £10 adapter I bought off amazon

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am using an A mount adapter, and using the minolta 50 f1,7 and 70-210 f4 which cost me £100 for BOTH lenses! 

also have a growing selection of Canon FD glass with a £10 adapter I bought off amazon

Yep as ShadowCaptain said, you can buy [Lens???]-mount to Sony E-mount adapters for a variety of different brand lenses.  Great way to buy cheap older generation lenses and give them a new life on a modern camera.

The drawback of course is the lenses will most likely become manual focus lenses.  However, if you can live with MF, it's a big gain on $$$$ savings as there are a lot of older generation glass out there for low prices.

Personally, I'm MF all the way for video, I prefer to do manual focus pulls rather than rely on dumb AF.  But for photos, you may also consider allowing a budget for a couple of native compatible Sony A-mount (with an adapter) or E-mount lenses for the times when you will need to rely on the faster speed of AF rather than the slower (depending on your skill) MF.

I'll have to look at the 28mm then. And what A mount adapter do you use? 

Also, do you use the focus peaking feature often? My eyes are pretty bad and I'm not great at manual, so I just want to know if using focus peaking is practical or not. 

Yep as ShadowCaptain said, you can buy [Lens???]-mount to Sony E-mount adapters for a variety of different brand lenses.  Great way to buy cheap older generation lenses and give them a new life on a modern camera.

The drawback of course is the lenses will most likely become manual focus lenses.  However, if you can live with MF, it's a big gain on $$$$ savings as there are a lot of older generation glass out there for low prices.

Personally, I'm MF all the way for video, I prefer to do manual focus pulls rather than rely on dumb AF.  But for photos, you may also consider allowing a budget for a couple of native compatible Sony A-mount (with an adapter) or E-mount lenses for the times when you will need to rely on the faster speed of AF rather than the slower (depending on your skill) MF.

I definitely want to look into that, and manual focusing is something I want to get better at. I'm not too familiar with very many lenses though, so I'll have to look into what kind of deals I can get get by using older lenses + adapters.

Right now I'm thinking of getting the a6000 with the kit 16-50mm, and the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, but I'll definitely have to look at what else is available through the use of adapters before I actually purchase anything.

Thanks for the input everyone. 

Alumni of FRC Team 245

I'll have to look at the 28mm then. And what A mount adapter do you use? 

Also, do you use the focus peaking feature often? My eyes are pretty bad and I'm not great at manual, so I just want to know if using focus peaking is practical or not. 

Right now I'm thinking of getting the a6000 with the kit 16-50mm, and the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, but I'll definitely have to look at what else is available through the use of adapters before I actually purchase anything.

I use the LEA4 since its the best one

I use focus peaking everytime I use MF, I would never turn it off, its literally the best thing ever, makes focusing with manual lenses super fast an easy,  and is pretty spot on 99.999% of the time!

Bear in mind the A6000 has a crop of 1.5 so the 85 will become a 127.5mm, you would be better off getting a 50mm or 35mm due to the 1.5 crop! unless you really want that a very zoomed in prime