Looking for a new Headset/Heaphone setup for ~$350, suggestions?

TheFieryTaco

Hi.

Recently, my Razer Tiamat 7.1 has finally died after years of use. I've been looking for a new Headset or Heaphone + Mic combo, and I ended up buying the Steelseries H Wireless.

I hate it.

The sound is distant and has no "depth" or "volume" whatsoever, I can't stand it. So I'll be returning it to Amazon tomorrow.

So, now I'm not sure what to do. After all the reviews I had read I was expecting to love the H Wireless. The other option I was looking at before deciding on the H Wireless was the ATH-AG1 from Audio Technica. Maybe I should get that instead?

Do you folks have any suggestions for an Audio setup that is around $350? I don't mind if it's wired, all I'm really looking for is good sound and a good mic (mainly for CS:GO). Closed back if possible, since I game in a room with other people, wouldn't want sound leaking out (however if open back really is substantially superior, I guess I could learn to live with it).

Thank you very much for your time, looking forward to your suggestions.

PS: I've never quite grasped what is and isn't 7.1. My old Razer Tiamat claimed to be 7.1, but was it really? I mean so does the H Wireless but as far as I can tell the sound all comes from the same place pretty much. Do I need a 7.1 headset/headphone or is stereo just as good for positional awareness in-game?

I just roll with stereo. I believe simulated 7.1 or any type of 7.1 in a headset its just a stupid gimmick.

And are you sure the Steelseries H wireless wasn't broken?

The ATH-AG1 and Sennheiser G4ME Zero they are the highest end headset i know. But if you get a antlion modmic and some other high end headphones that might be better.

-snip-

Dont forget to follow your topics and welcome to the forum. :)

What are you looking for exactly ?! 

i mean i could sugguest AIAIAI and with a antlion mod microphone 4.0 

(⌐■_■) 

I just roll with stereo. I believe simulated 7.1 or any type of 7.1 in a headset its just a stupid gimmick.

And are you sure the Steelseries H wireless wasn't broken?

The ATH-AG1 and Sennheiser G4ME Zero they are the highest end headset i know. But if you get a antlion modmic and some other high end headphones that might be better.

Yeah, figured simulated 7.1 wasn't too great. Are there any true 7.1 headsets? My Kraken claims to be one but I highly doubt it.

And I just looked into the G4ME Zero a few minutes ago, looks great, thank you!

As for high-end headphones + modmic, any examples? Don't know anything whatsoever about headphones (only ever used headsets).

What are you looking for exactly ?! 

i mean i could sugguest AIAIAI and with a antlion mod microphone 4.0 

Just a good sounding headset that will allow me to clearly hear my buddies over Skype & determine enemy positions in CS:GO. And a good mic would be great, since I do a lot of shot-calling.

I also watch a lot of movies/listen to music so the higher the audio quality the better.

Sorry, can't get more exact than that since I don't know much about audio peripherals.

Yeah, figured simulated 7.1 wasn't too great. Are there any true 7.1 headsets? My Kraken claims to be one but I highly doubt it.

As for high-end headphones + modmic, any examples? Don't know anything whatsoever about headphones (only ever used headsets).

Just a good sounding headset that will allow me to clearly hear my buddies over Skype & determine enemy positions in CS:GO. And a good mic would be great, since I do a lot of shot-calling.

I also watch a lot of movies/listen to music so the higher the audio quality the better.

Sorry, can't get more exact than that since I don't know much about audio peripherals.

Im have also only done research in headsets so i only know a few brands who make good "audiophile" headphones.

And there are "real" 7.1 headsets but i feel its the same, gimmick. Because good luck hearing which speaker made a noise when you have 4-5 speakers in each earcup making sound.

Most games are optimized for stereo headsets as they are the most common.

And if you really want 7.1 you could always download Razer Surround (http://www.razerzone.com/surround) and test that out. It will give a 7.1 effect to any stereo headset using bass and other stuff to simulate distance and all that other stuff.

Close your eyes and test this out, stereo headphones can still make excellent directional sound (with and without razer surround).

Also Qpad has a high end gaming headset. The Qpad QH-1339 (http://qpad.com/products/headsets/QH-1339/)

Audiophile companies:

Sennheiser

AKG

Audio Technica

Beyerdynamic

Beats by Dre ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) JK plz dont buy those!

And some im not so Shure ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) about:

Shure

KRK

Koss

i can help you with that . and please give the types of music you listen to as well , it would help me to give me a better picture on what kind of headphone would suit you.

Side note:To be perfectly frank and honest , Most or some of the people at the audio sub forum don't like to answer these types of questions like '' what headphone or witch one is good '' some of them consider this as shit posting becasue these are the most asked questions , the advanced questions like '' what hearts should i calibrate my 10 inch woofer are the ones witch will draw more attention . but i on the other hand , like these types of questions , it help me see the people who have the same interest as me . 

(⌐■_■) 

Are there any true 7.1 headsets?

Kind of. There are headsets that have multiple drivers packed into each earcup, but it doesn't work the way that surround speakers do. Read this if you want to learn more about it; I'm too lazy to actually write it up...

As far as good headphones go, the Philips Fidelio X2 is a VERY good option, and seems to cater to many tastes. It's very well built, and compatible with the Vmoda BoomPro, which is recommended over the ModMic, since it's a cleaner setup, and you only have one cable coming off the headphones. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Im have also only done research in headsets so i only know a few brands who make good "audiophile" headphones.

And there are "real" 7.1 headsets but i feel its the same, gimmick. Because good luck hearing which speaker made a noise when you have 4-5 speakers in each earcup making sound.

Most games are optimized for stereo headsets as they are the most common.

And if you really want 7.1 you could always download Razer Surround (http://www.razerzone.com/surround) and test that out. It will give a 7.1 effect to any stereo headset using bass and other stuff to simulate distance and all that other stuff.

Close your eyes and test this out, stereo headphones can still make excellent directional sound (with and without razer surround).

Also Qpad has a high end gaming headset. The Qpad QH-1339 (http://qpad.com/products/headsets/QH-1339/)

Audiophile companies:

Sennheiser

AKG

Audio Technica

Beyerdynamic

Shure

KRK

Koss

Fantastic thanks! Really liking Sennheisers so far.

i can help you with that . and please give the types of music you listen to as well , it would help me to give me a better picture on what kind of headphone would suit you.

Side note:To be perfectly frank and honest , Most or some of the people at the audio sub forum don't like to answer these types of questions like '' what headphone or witch one is good '' some of them consider this as shit posting becasue these are the most asked questions , the advanced questions like '' what hearts should i calibrate my 10 inch woofer are the ones witch will draw more attention . but i on the other hand , like these types of questions , it help me see the people who have the same interest as me . 

Yeah, I posted here as a last resort. I'm well aware most people don't like these types of post on pretty much any forum. But I looked through previous threads similar to mine and found no truly suitable answers for my budget, just a bunch of HyperX Cloud II suggestions.

And I usually listen to Chillstep and Downtempo.

Kind of. There are headsets that have multiple drivers packed into each earcup, but it doesn't work the way that surround speakers do. Read this if you want to learn more about it; I'm too lazy to actually write it up...

As far as good headphones go, the Philips Fidelio X2 is a VERY good option, and seems to cater to many tastes. It's very well built, and compatible with the Vmoda BoomPro, which is recommended over the ModMic, since it's a cleaner setup, and you only have one cable coming off the headphones. 

That was a great read, thank you. 

Audiophile companies:

Sennheiser

AKG

Audio Technica

Beyerdynamic

Shure

KRK

Koss

KRK does speakers, predominantly, if not entirely, and both Shure and Koss need to be up there with the rest. Both are great companies, and they are as well known as any of the other ones you listed.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Hifiman HE-400 and a cheap lapel mic. Blow your budget on a pair of planars. All that matters is that they can hear you, right?

I use mine as speakers some times...

edit: The budget would allow for a higher quality mic if wanted.