How well does Minecraft run on intel integrated graphics?

Virtual01

Wondering how well Minecraft runs without a dedicated GPU. I don't actually play the game and never have, but enough people ask me about it at my job (best buy computer department) that I want to get some knowledge about it.

Lots of families with young kids come into the store looking for a computer that can run Minecraft. Like 90% of other customers, they immediately are drawn to the HP Stream, which is a heaping pile of dog shit for any and all applications. Obviously, I try to steer them away from it as fast as possible.

Problem is, I don't really know where to go from there. The kids are not hardcore master racers, so they don't need 1080p 60 fps or anything like that. Some cheaper options we have are laptops with i3s and Intel integrated graphics, 4000 and 5000 series. We also have a few models with the AMD FX8800 in them which has "R7 graphics" (whatever that means). Anything higher than that (i5/i7, anywhere from 840m to 965m) are usually way out of the price range of these people.

Here are some of my questions:

What kind of graphical settings does Minecraft have and how easy is it to run it on absolute minimum settings? How hard is it to run at absolute maximum settings?

Is the game very CPU dependent, or at least above average? Would an i5 significantly outperform an i3 with the same iGPU?

Let's say they go for the cheaper option. i3 with intel 5500 iGPU. What kind of framerates can be expected here on low/medium settings?

It runs fine, but pretty soon you'll need a decent gpu for it

not sure if its still the case or if it got better/worse

but there used to be an issue where minecraft would cap at 30FPS on integrated graphics, no matter how powerful the machine.

that said, it'll be -fine-

--

vanilla minecraft (no mods) has a very limited amount of options, but tinkering with them can greatly increase performance on low end machines.

in *some* cases (the number of cases where this applies is decreasing FAST) installing the "optifine" mod can greatly improve performance, while also giving more in-depth configuration options.

as for "how hard is it to run on max settings"... i have an i7 4790k paired with a GTX970 and 16GB ram, and i can get it up to 1000 FPS.

it runs like shit

next!

if you're gonna shitpost, do it somewhere else please.

if you actually tried to be helpful, at least give the guy some details...

What kind of graphical settings does Minecraft have and how easy is it to run it on absolute minimum settings? How hard is it to run at absolute maximum settings?

Is the game very CPU dependent, or at least above average? Would an i5 significantly outperform an i3 with the same iGPU?

Let's say they go for the cheaper option. i3 with intel 5500 iGPU. What kind of framerates can be expected here on low/medium settings?

I'm basing this all from Intel HD 4000(yeah, its kinda old).

You can max it out and average 60 FPS

Its mostly CPU dependent(single thread too)

A lot, enough to kick the settings on high and still get great framerates.

Great, thanks for the fast responses everyone. I feel a lot more confident now.

I'm basing this all from Intel HD 4000(yeah, its kinda old).

You can max it out and average 60 FPS

Its mostly CPU dependent(single thread too)

A lot, enough to kick the settings on high and still get great framerates.

this saved me from installing minecraft on the only intel integrated machine i have :P

but yeah, seems about right. +1 to you good sir.

Integrated graphics is ok.... but dont run any mods, im running a 4790k with a single 970 atm amd my minecraft only gets about 140fps at max settings 1080p cause i have over 300 mods loading at once

not sure if its still the case or if it got better/worse

but there used to be an issue where minecraft would cap at 30FPS on integrated graphics, no matter how powerful the machine.

that said, it'll be -fine-

--

vanilla minecraft (no mods) has a very limited amount of options, but tinkering with them can greatly increase performance on low end machines.

in *some* cases (the number of cases where this applies is decreasing FAST) installing the "optifine" mod can greatly improve performance, while also giving more in-depth configuration options.

as for "how hard is it to run on max settings"... i have an i7 4790k paired with a GTX970 and 16GB ram, and i can get it up to 1000 FPS.

if you're gonna shitpost, do it somewhere else please.

if you actually tried to be helpful, at least give the guy some details...

its not a shitpost. its honest.